Volunteer in Heart of Peruvian Andes

Tinkuy Peru runs various community programs in one of the poorest areas of Huancayo, a Peruvian city in the heart of the Andes. The children in our school range from 6 to 17 years old. All are disadvantaged in some way, from being abandoned by their families, experiencing physical or sexual abuse, malnutrition, family poverty or displacement from terrorism (during the 90's the area was devastated by the shining path). Through our volunteers we help increase the children's confidence and self-esteem, and give them a better chance of escaping poverty.
We firmly believe that education, above all else, is the key ingredient in these children’s future and this single truth underpins much of what we do. The founder of Tinkuy Peru is a world renowned artisan (volunteers have opportunity to take weaving lessons) and whilst we recognise the importance of core subjects like Maths, Science and English we also try to provide our children with practical skills that are directly transferable.

Anna

An Incredible Experience

I spent a month volunteering at Tinkuy Peru. The experience was incredible, both eye-opening and fun-filled. The children at the school are desperate for affection, full of love and display a willingness to learn that I have not seen elsewhere. Volunteers are given full reign over their teaching and are able to develop a curriculum based on the needs of the children. I learnt so much about early education and English teaching. The host family, Tino and Mari, welcome you into their home and treat you as one of their own. I experienced full cultural immersion, from the delicious traditional cooking of Mari and the many excursions that Tino, a former tour guide, led us on. One of my most memorable excursions was to a beautiful glacier called Huaytapallana - I have experienced such astounding natural beauty. I recommend this program to everyone. As long as there is willingness to volunteer, there is a place for you, and they will utilise any skill set that you have.