By Otra Cosa Network   Reviews (2)   100% Rating

Otra Cosa Network: The HELP Women Volunteer Program in Peru

By Otra Cosa Network   Reviews (2)   100% Rating

Since it's inauguration in 2011, this program has supported several groups of women throughout Peru. As a volunteer, you'll help women develop several skill sets to sell their homemade goods. Most of the women do not have an income outside of the home so this additional income helps to support their family and basic needs. In addition, you'll help to empower/educate the participating women in regards to their human rights and educate about family planning and literacy.

South America › Peru
1 Year+
0.00

Rating Values

Marketa
Southsea

I changed their lives in a positive way as they have changed mine!

Overall 10

Where should i start? I did my internship for 8 months with this amazing group of ladies who have changed my life for ever as they inspired me for my final university dissertation topic and career. I started working with them when my Spanish was very bad but they did not mind. They support me and slowly we build our new friendship that keeps growing even I left.

I really enjoyed work with those ladies. When I started I was not extaly sure what i will be doing but later I used my knowledge of the sewing and stared leading the sewing classroom. I doesn't say it was easy but I can say after our hard work we were able to deliver our first delivery of tone bags and present our brand new sewing classroom, which is available for the whole group and any of women can join the free sewing class.

I would recommend to come and help to this group of ladies who wants to learn new skills, however they need push. The facilities are available to run any of classes like sewing, baking, hydroponic garden or even business class. It just waiting for you who are independent, does not mind working alone and willing to take this opportunity to empower women and give them new opportunity in their life.

I really recommend this program as I had strong support form my manage who always found time to listen me, give me advice and support me while I had hard time with the project. I would never made it with the women thought if i would not have huge support behind me.

I hope somebody will come and take over the job I have done and will have the amazing experience as I had.

Just more volunteers are needed :)
I changed their lives in a positive way as they have changed mine!
No video provider was found to handle the given URL. See the documentation for more information.
Beata
Lund, Sweden

HELP Women - a very real experience

Overall 10

Working with the women at the community centre through HELP Women was an amazing experience. We (the women and I) achieved several things, including planning field trips, organising english, swimming and surf lessons for their children, and sewing classes for the mothers and more, but it was something else that will stay with me forever. They taught me solidarity and friendship, and how a community centre can feel more secure, and more like your home, than your actual home, and the real impact of gender inequality in countries like Peru. It was a true privilage to listen to their stories, and try to work side by side with the social worker to find solutions to everyday issues, but also to work side by side with the women in their everyday life, where they again and again exceeded outside expectations for the sake of their children.
If you are a strong and independent woman who wants to work with other strong and independent women, this is the volunteer placement for you - especially if you have a background in social work.

Otra Cosa Network is a registered Peruvian non-profit NGO and Registered UK Charity offering a wide variety of affordable, satisfying volunteering opportunities to well-motivated volunteers and interns from around the world to support the needs of our own and our community-run partner projects. We're based in the beautiful coastal town Huanchaco, Trujillo in Northern Peru. Most of our projects are local but we also offer volunteer positions in other locations around Northern Peru.

Otra Cosa Network runs five of our own projects, which are all part of the Huanchaco Education and Learning Programme (HELP). HELP is dedicated to advancing the education possibilities and resources for those living in lower-income communities in Huanchaco and the surrounding shanty towns. Alongside this, we support several partner organisations in the area, as well as in two remote locations in northern Peru.

Community Photos: