Volunteer with the Native Yanesha, Experience the culture of Peru

The 7 Elements program in Peru is based in the lush Amazon Basin, separated by the Andes Mountains from the coastline. There you will travel inland to meet our indigenous Yanesha partners in a small community called Union de la Selva. Historically, the Yanesha people relied on a natural economic system, depending upon a balanced environment for subsistence agriculture, hunting, and fishing. They thrived independently of the negative influences of global economic and environmental systems, However, globalization, development and climate change have brought dramatic changes and increased vulnerability to this small yet vibrant culture. The Yanesha community has partnered exclusively with 7 Elements to support the development of community resources and sustainable food growing initiatives.  Through these projects with the Yanesha, our educational focus is on the impacts of globalization and global integration on indigenous culture and the natural environment sustainability.

• Work with Native Yanesha in Villa Rica on local agriculture and horticulture projects!
  • Learn and participate in the art of Coffee testing with a local Organization in Peru!
  • Explore the city of Lima and learn about the rich culture of the Peruvian people!
  • Visit a beautiful waterfall in the basin of the Amazon!
  • Learn about Yanesha culture, dance and tradition

Marcus

Experience of a Lifetime

I was more than excited to be with 7 Elements in Peru with my students and it did not disappoint. The overall process to get our program set up was easy to do. Crystal played a huge role in making the experience of setting up the program, very easy. Once in Peru, Ben and Ruth were the absolute best. They made my students comfortable, they made me feel comfortable and I never felt like something was going to go wrong. My students learned so much about the Peruvian culture, not only from a tourist stand point, we were deep in the amazon spending time and building relationships with the Yanesha people. I would do this over and over again, for sure. Our students have come home thinking about how they can continue to learn and support our new community!!

There is nothing I would improve about the program. Everything went very well.
Kathy

Comprehensive Opportunity to Learn about Native Yanesha and Peru

The Native Yanesha service project is an extremely expansive opportunity to experience a native culture, understand their current circumstances as well as learn about the entire region's current life and history. The trip is well balanced between actual work days and travel to the surrounding area's flora and fauna. As guests, we were extremely well cared for with transportation, lodging, and food. The educational programs complimented the work days providing background and current issues. The leader was extremely attentive to our person suggestions and made adjustments that suited the group. The project is part of a larger continuum of support for the community and it is very satisfying to be part of an ongoing project that is sustainable and has a long term commitment and relationship.

Having participated in numerous programs, the only recommendation is receipt of travel information or notice of its receipt just a bit sooner prior to travel date.