Wildlife Caretaker in the Amazon

Our former volunteer Thomas taking care of a baby sloth as part of his internship program
Volunteers making toys for animals
Woolly monkeys
Our former volunteer Jonathan working with Bar
Our former volunteer Jonathan working with Bar
Feeding time

We need people who love animals and want to support us in rescues, rehabilitation, and medical treatments, as well as enrichment programs, for them.

Our volunteer program as a wildlife caretaker is very important in the project progress. We require people who mainly have a deep love for animals, no previous studies are required, people who have more experience will be designate to certain types of animals and those who do not have much experience will be responsible for other types of animals, the common quality should be to have a lot of patience and be very observant, the time the volunteer spend feeding and taking care of them is essential for the project. The wildlife caretakers are the main and first source of information for monitoring the physical and emotional health of the animals in our care.

Volunteer and enjoy the close relationship between wildlife and their natural habitat, also work closely together with specialists and gain new knowledge about wildlife!

• Amazon volunteers.
  • Animal caretaker.
  • Amazonian wildlife.
  • Wildlife conservation.
  • Environmental education.

Impact

Take care of animals by improving their lives
Take action and help to prevent further loss of endangered species

Pre-Registration Volunteer Certificate 35%- 65% off

The volunteers who help us with their pre-paid program at this difficult time, will have priority at the time they wish to schedule the date of their stay until December 2021. The regular daily contribution is US $ 60, with this offer will be:
US$ 45 daily for 1 to 2 weeks
US$ 40 daily for 3 to 4 weeks
US$ 35 daily for 5 to 23 weeks
US$ 25 daily for 24 to 50 weeks
US$ 20 daily for 51 weeks or more

Debora

A dream come true

I stayed at RAREC for 2 months and I had the time of my life. This program makes a serious effort to better the world around us and to help those who can't always help themselves. Amazing people, amazing animals, a once in a lifetime adventure. The staff teaches you how human beings and wild animals can interact wonderfully together and make you understand their personalities and quirks. Never thought I'd swim with a giant river otter, get to play with monkeys and bottle feed a manatee. It has been a year since I've been to RAREC and I am amazed by all the progress they have made. I will most definitely be back to volunteer again!

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
Being so far away from everything, living in the amazon rain forest and still meeting people from every corner of the planet :)
Julia

Awesome experience!

I stayed at RAREC for a month and I really loved it. It was my first time volunteering and I enjoyed it a lot. RAREC is an organisation doing their best to protect the rainforest - wildlife conversation activities and wildlife rescues. Kathya, John and the team are very awesome and made me feel like home. This made it hard to leave in the end. It was a life changing experience and I am very thankful that they made this possible. It was greatful to get to know the way of living in the rainforest and support a local organisation which has great projects and ideas to take care of the environment and the animals around it. I really enjoyed working with a lot of different animals that I did not know much about before. The stuff had so much knowledge on every single animal and they knew what was needed to help them. There were so many activities like preparing the food, caring for the animals, cleaning the cages, monitoring behavior and so on. Nevertheless, one day was not like another. I am very curious about the next projects RAREC will inititate and how they will develop over time. I really hope to come back one day and see the growth they made!

What was your funniest moment?
One morning I was drinking a coffee in the kitchen and a little wolly monkey was coming over. After catching him we noticed that all the other wolly monkeys were outside the cage as well. It took a lot of time to get them all back but we could not find the hole in the wire. It was only when one of the monkeys was outside again that we could really find it.
Caspar

Great place, nice staff

We stayed a week at Rarec in May of this year to volunteer and had a great time. There are a lot of different animals that need daily care, like feeding, cleaning of the cages, collecting leaves, etc. Next to that, some of the animals really like it when you play with them. So for example we went swimming with Daniel, the otter, which was a really great experience!  The animals are amazing!

The permanent staff is very helpful and friendly and take the time to explain everything about the animals and the work that has to be done. They really do a great job and make the volunteering fun!  We learned a lot, thanks!

Charlotte

Wonderfull experience in the amazon

I spent around 3 weeks at RAREC and really loved my stay. John and Kathya, the couple running RAREC are the kindest people and really make you feel welcome. The place itself is beautifull and quiet and you really are in the middle of the jungle. No traffic no noise. They are still expanding and growing trying to make the best of the place. As caretaker you get quite a lot of freedom, they put faith in the volunteers and that feels really nice. You have some free time left in between the feedings and they really give you freedom to use this however you want as well. You can do your own thing but very often you'll still be wanting to take care of the animals. In my case 'Daniel the giant river otter' was still very young and since river otters are very social animals who need a lot of interaction most of the time was spent entertaining him :) which was al lovely thing to do and seeing him grow up trough social media is just a delight.

What was the most unfamiliar thing you ate?
Going to the market near the river, I ate maggots!
Ana

Great place to learn and to relax

I loved being part of RAREC even for a short period of time. I was taking care of the monkeys and a cute tapir. It was definitely a great experience as I have never done it before. RAREC team is great and gives you loads of information about their mission. I was also part of the community development team helping mothers to create an income for their families. I organized a workshop and the results were amazing! RAREC Peru is a great NGO where you can start making a difference in this world. Keep doing the great work RAREC!

Try to research activities around the area, there are hidden nice places. Also, prepare to bring all the necessary things you need, as there are many minimarkets around.
Zoë

I totally recommend this place!

My experience at RAREC was amazing! It was an internship that ended too soon because of the coronavirus.
The people at RAREC are very kind to every volunteer, they really want you to be part of the crew. It’s nice to see how every staffmember loves the animals so much, everybody cares about the animals. It’s a great place to learn more about Peru and about the Amazon forest. I did get to know a lot of new animals and habits. It’s a place where everybody can come, kids, families, volunteers, interns... It’s a lovely place to be!

Meirav

An amizing expierens

I came to rarec to volentere during my travelling in peru. At first i didnt know how importent it will be for me. I meet wandefull people from all the warld who warked daily to protect the wildlife. I meet people whith vition who realy took care on the animels and had aeducation program to do so. I share spatiol moments whith the animels and the amazon place. Learn alot about my self and athers. Warked and learn about the animels and share alot of fun . i want to thank kathy and jon.who make that place as it is. Unik people whith vition and love to save and realy halp the animels. Who creat spatiol place which made my stay there as an importment time there.
I wish i will be able after corona to go back and continu to be apart of that amaizing place. To be apart ofsaving the amazon animels.

What was your funniest moment?
I had alot of fun moments. While warking with the animels- geting insid the lake with daniel the lutra . And the people i meet from ather places all over the warld.
Isabel

Amazing volunteer experience at RAREC!

The few weeks I spent at RAREC were truly wonderful. The focus of the program was truly on the well being of the animals and on the educational program, so the volunteering felt meaningful throughout. That being said, the coordinators always made sure that the volunteers were having fun by organizing trips to the lake, fruit tastings, and nights out in Iquitos. The center is extraordinary and beautiful, and if you’re lucky enough to go on a rescue, it’s truly a life-changing experience. I would recommend this without a doubt to anyone interested in a real adventure and who wants to do some genuine good by protecting these wonderful species.