Peru isn’t the country you might expect it to be. Everyone has heard of Machu Picchu and the Incan civilization, but very few know that 60% of the country is the Amazon and much of the rest is coastal desert. For adventurers, Peru’s canyons, mountains, glaciers, and beaches are a playground unlike anything they’ve ever seen. For history buffs, the Spanish colonial architecture sitting on top of traditional indigenous temples capture their fascination. But for true backpacktivists, Peru is the place where we prove that “backpacking with a purpose” really works. While most travelers simply pass along the ‘Gringo Trail’, hopping from overpriced tourist trap to party hostel, that isn’t our style.
At Operation Groundswell, we’ll dive deep into cultural exchange as we partner with various change makers in Peru who are impacting their communities in deeply positive ways. We examine issues around indigenous rights, access to quality of healthcare, LGBT rights, and environmental justice.
- Work alongside local indigenous organizations that are working tirelessly to defend indigenous rights, keep their cultural practices alive, and strengthen their communities.
- Learn about how the effects of oil company operations impact our environment and human rights.
- Live on an organic farm high up in the mountains, learning about sustainable agricultural methods, traditional medicine, and the real story of the Incas.
- Explore the beautiful cobblestone streets of Cusco as we dive deep into various cultural classes that will give us a real sense of daily life in Peru.
- Try some of the best Latin cuisine in South America while taking introductory Spanish classes!