• Philippines

Travel Type
Budget Family Senior Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

$1,760 USD
This is a price for diving volunteers. This will include 10 boat dives per week (weather/site logistics dependent).

Full breakdown is what is/isn't included can be found on our website.

In short, this price covers:

Full pre-departure support
The opportunity to dive with Thresher sharks!
All diving courses up to Advanced Open Water level (exlcuding materials/certification)
Comprehensive training in marine science and reef survey techniques
All diving costs (boat fees, guides, airfills, fees/taxes, dive equipment*)
All food (expcept on days off)
Accommodation with a local household
Dedicated on-site support from local team

.....And a free T-Shirt!

* Excludes personal items (fins, boots, mask, wetsuit, snorkel)
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Equipment Meals Wifi
What's Not Included
Some Accommodation Some Activities Airfare Domestic Airfare Airport Transfers Some Meals SIM cards Transportation Travel Insurance Visa
Apr 03, 2020
Apr 03, 2020

This expedition puts a strong emphasis on both marine sciences and scuba diving. Open to all levels of diving, you will learn scientific diving techniques and participate to our collect of data.
We think that 4 weeks is the minimum stay needed for beginners as you need to train yourself to diving and understand how everything runs on site.

This the basic organisation of a 4-week stay :

Week 1 : get your PADI Open Water certification
Week 2 : get your PADI Advanced Open Water certification
Week 3 : learn the techniques for scientific diving
Week 4 : collect the data with us by making surveys on fish and corals

You will go diving in the morning, two dives are planned per day (if the weather is good). On the afternoons, you will have courses on Marine Sciences taught by our Chief Science Officer, add the data you collected in the morning to our database or involve yourself in community projects !

Program Highlights

• Join a dedicated, ‘grass-roots’ project working to drive meaningful conservation initiatives at the local level
  • In-depth training in marine habitat survey techniques from our qualified marine biologists, culminating in the collection of live survey data.
  • Gain valuable experience and insights to set you on the path to a career in marine conservation.
  • Our science team can provide support to those undertaking under/post-graduate research studies. We have supported many successful research projects/papers to date.
  • Dive with Thresher Sharks at the world famous dive site - Monad Shoal!

Anna

Between environment and community: highly recommended experience!

My expedition with People and the Sea is an unforgettable memory to me (:

During three months I had the chance to obtain my divemaster with a great instructor as well as interesting coral reef science training with enthusiastic science staff members.

I could also participate in different projects with the community: weekly clean-ups around Malapascua, educative activities with the kids at school, organization of the waste management and monitoring of the catch of the local fishermen.

The staff was always ready to solve a problem and meanwhile have a great time!

Living in homestay families added something special to my stay on Malapascua. I had the chance to be part of three different families and felt welcomed in all of them. Interacting with the families members allowed me to understand more about the Filipino culture and feel home even at the other side of the world.

I can only recommend to volunteer with People and the Sea to everyone who wants to get involved in marine conservation and at the same time have a wonderfull experience in a beautiful social environment.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I would have the chance to go back on Malapascua and change something... I would extend my stay for longer than three months!
Alice

Intern at Pepsea

I was an intern for 6 months at People And the Sea (Pepsea) and it was a fantastic experience. This association has become for me like a second family. This experience made me grow and allowed me to discover many things like scuba diving, breathtaking landscapes and a very close and friendly community of phillipines.

Before my experience with Pepsea, I had never been trained in diving. Therefore, in the first days, our diving instructor made me pass my diving levels and it was great. Our Science leader has trained us in one of the categories: Invertebrates, fish and corals. This training is on land as in diving.
What is also fantastic is that we participate in missions on land, so we see the two aspects of the association: marine conservation and life with the community. So it allowed me to learn their language and understand they live.

my adventure was complete and rewarding, I highly recommend this experience.

What was your funniest moment?
My funniest moment was when we helped pass a test to future dives masters. Our instructor asked us to be as boring as possible. what we have of course, "invert our fins together, completely exchange our regulator, leave while they explained the exercises to us, panic during an event ..."
I think we have never consumed as much air as during this dive.
Natasha

An experience of a lifetime

I interned at People and the Sea to collect data for my MSc thesis. The experienced team were so supportive and helpful throughout my time there and I met some amazing friends. I feel like I have made a genuine contribution towards conservation under their guidance, while also having so much fun and improving my diving skills. I completed over 50 dives and saw the most beautiful marine inhabitants ranging from tiny nudibranchs to thresher sharks as well as an array of tropical fish and stunning corals. Malapascua is a beautiful island with a very welcoming community who are eager to share their culture and experiences. I couldn't recommend this programme enough!