Volunteer in Romania with GapGuru

GapGuru offers volunteer programs and internships in Romania. Our Romania programs are ideal for anyone with an interest in gaining medical work experience, or anyone with an interest in social work/child welfare or teaching.

Below are different projects you can choose from when you decide to volunteer in Romania.

• Children’s Care Homes Volunteer in Romania: Due to difficult economic conditions, many parents are forced to move away for work and are unable to bring their children with them. The care homes for these social orphans can be uninspiring places to grow up, and our volunteers act as mentors, friends, good role models and informal educators to add value to these children’s lives.
  • Summer Club Leader in Romania: Run games, sports and crafts for children in care, to keep them interested and engaged during the long summer holidays. You will have a lot of flexibility with the activities that you would like to lead, so you can make best use of your own skills and passion – sharing these with the children during this 3-week summer project.
  • ER Medical Intern in Romania: Shadow doctors and nurses in an emergency department in Targu Mures, Romania. This placement is open to all levels of medical experience and training (including those with none at all). It’s a fantastic way to learn on the job in a challenging and fast-paced environment; the longer you stay (or the more previous experience you have), the greater responsibility you will receive.

This depends on which volunteer program you choose!

Dallas

Amazing Experience

Not knowing what to expect when I arrived in Romania, I was shocked to discover how sociable and open the children were in developing new friendships with a complete stranger. The language barrier did not stop us communicating and having a great time sledding, walking to and from school, kicking a football around or being a bit crazy inside.

A definite highlight was spending Christmas with the kids. They were so grateful not onmy for individual gifts, but also for the company. I really felt like they were welcoming me as part if their famimy.
A difficulty was leaving them, and being aware of the circumstances of their being looked after. I felt a bit upset that the friendships we built were cut away so quickly, but at the end of the day they are in the best place they can be. I would live to go back, and would recommend this experience for everyone who wants to challenge themselves and is also open to new experiences.

It would have been good to know how our experiences could help the kids more. At times I wasn't sure if I should be having fun with them or helping them in something.
prices

Work with children!

This was a great adventure and allowed me to spend a lot of time working with children. The kids were amazing; we did different activities with them every day. Sledding, collaging, hiking, playing soccer, and just goofing around were all part of our day. We also helped cook and clean in the volunteer house and with the kids.

About GapGuru

GapGuru is a gap year specialist offering a wide range of exciting volunteer, travel and internship opportunities across Asia, Africa, South America and Europe. With GapGuru you could be doing anything from teaching in Tanzania to working as a...