Volunteer in Romania with Globe Aware

The country of Romania is still trying to redeem itself after the fall of its controlling dictator system. Although, it is being brought back to life and is flourishing, many of the public still live in ruins. Many of those people still in ruins are known in Romania as the gypsy people and experience extreme discrimination and lack of resources. They have not had the chance to experience any of the country’s newly found economic opportunities and are stripped from the chance of an education.
Globe Aware volunteers will work on a variety of projects while in Romania such as building an Educational and Social Center which will house homeless families and deprived children. Other things included working on environment friendly and community projects, helping improve the living conditions of the people, help clean rivers, forests, and the village. Volunteers will also plant trees and gardens and work hand in hand with villagers.

Richard

My Week in Brasov

I went on a one week program with Globe Aware in July of 2017. I was a part of a small group of 3 volunteers from the US, though it felt like we had many more on the trip considering all of the lovely local Globe Aware staff and all of the folks receiving therapy at the center for people with special needs, where we volunteered daily. The program was well organized and I felt that I was able to make a difference while assisting the lead therapist in daily activities at the center. We helped with everything from arts and crafts, to pool therapy, to the simple things like making sure we all washed our hands before each meal. I really connected with my fellow volunteers and all of the people there as well. The lead therapist would translate for us when we would tell stories about life at home and really enjoyed learning some Romanian as well. She was always there to guide us. Lunches were fantastic and made fresh daily by one of the moms there at the center. Dinners were arranged at the hotel, which is right on the major pedestrian street in Brasov. Brasov is such a beautiful city, and I was completely blown away by the thriving cafe culture in the old town. There are plenty of sights to see in town, as well as taking a trip out to see Castle Bran and Rasnov Citadel. If you have time, I highly recommend doing some onward travel in Transylvania - though I think Brasov is still may favorite city in the end. I highly recommend this trip to anyone interested in volunteering in Romania!

I wish I could have stayed longer!
Michelle

Romania

Working with the children (teaching English) was a fun way to reinforce the language and an enjoyable way to bond with the kids. Cleaning the Education Center seemed to be very helpful as it needed to be done prior to the next step of fireproofing the building. It also provided an opportunity to enoy the children as they worked along side us. Simona was a wonderful host and staying in her mother's B&B was the perfect cultural experience as we were able to spend time with a Romanian family at meal time. Simona introduced us to many Romanian sights and served as our tour guide during these excursions. I can not say enough about how wonderful Simona was - she worked tirelessly at the center, with us to make sure we had a good experience. I loved seeing how she has established a trusting relationship with the community and the children. Simona is so inspiring.

About Globe Aware

Globe Aware coordinates, organizes and leads volunteer vacations, service vacations, working holidays and service trips to two Peru locations (Andes & Cusco/Machu Picchu), Costa Rica, Thailand, Cuba, Nepal, Brazil, Cambodia, Laos, Vietnam, India,...