Veterinary Service: South Africa

Veterinary Service: South Africa

This two-week program takes place at a cheetah breeding and care facility and wildlife sanctuary outside of Johannesburg, South Africa. Your small group will be led by a veterinarian and your programs veterinarians will teach your course in "ABCs of African Big Cats: Anatomy, Behavior, and Conservation." You will be able to volunteer up-close and hands-on with cheetahs, porcupines, zebras, ostriches, and other animals on the property, and will also be able to observe animals living in the area in the wild including giraffes, wildebeests, and impala. Course labs will include necropsies, blowdart labs, enrichment projects, suture practice, and microscope use.

In the middle of the program, we have a three-day trip to Kruger National Park to go on safari and see all kinds of African animals in the wild, including elephants, lions, rhinos, and leopards.

• Safari at Kruger National Park, working with cheetahs, learning zoo medicine from vets, veterinary skills, African animals
Africa » South Africa » Johannesburg
Tuition is all-inclusive except airfare; financial aid is available.

Sally
Loyola University Chicago

An Amazing Experience for Pre-Vet Students

My experience with Loop Abroad's Veterinary Service: South Africa program was one I will never forget. Feracare Wildlife Centre, where you spend most of your time during the program, is an outstanding facility run by knowledgable and helpful staff, and the amenities there far exceeded my expectations. I was also impressed by the educational and experiential aspects of the trip. The program provides veterinary experience with a variety of animals in an environment that is very different from that which you would experience in the United States. During the two weeks at Feracare, you basically live alongside the animals. It is a personal experience. The class on big cats was very informative, and the veterinarians that led the trip were extremely helpful, always willing to answer questions about veterinary medicine and their personal experiences in the field. During the weekend between the two weeks spent at Feracare, I had the opportunity to safari in Kruger National Park. Going on game drives in Kruger was one of my favorite parts of the trip. Seeing elephants, leopards, hippos, and more wild animals in their natural habitat was undoubtedly one of the most amazing and impactful experiences of my life thus far. I would highly recommend this program to anyone interested in veterinary medicine and/or wildlife conservation.

The only thing I would change is perhaps adding some time in Johannesburg or another South African cultural center to the trip. I feel like I did not learn as much about South African culture as I would have liked.

Meredith
Newark, Delaware
University of Delaware

Amazing Opportunity

This was not my first trip with Loop Abroad so going in I already knew that it would be amazing, and it did not disappoint! Not only was it amazing to be able to go to South Africa, work with cheetahs and spend a day at Kruger National Park I learned so much from both the veterinarians with us and the people I met at Feracare. I made great friends and some wonderful professional connections that I am so excited to keep in touch with. As a 1st (going into 2nd) year veterinary student this trip was not only an amazing learning experience but a wonderful way to remind myself why I am on this path.

This is Loop Abroad's 8th year offering exciting animal and teaching programs in Asia and Africa. We offer summer and semester programs for people who love animals, travel, adventure, and authentic experiences. Each program is an opportunity for students to get hands-on experience with greatly