South Africa is an incredible country with a rich and varied history and amazing landscapes. A gap year in South Africa offers unlimited opportunities for adventure travel, from surfing to safari's, this country has it all. But your gap year should be about more than just adventure travel and our South Africa program offers a more meaningful experience too.
Cultural immersion is more than just being a tourist and seeing the sights, it's a unique opportunity to engage meaningfully with individuals and a community, to build relationships, make friends and live life as they do. You can volunteer to teach English in a small village school and inspire the students with your skills and enthusiasm. Get stand out work experience on your CV and make a difference to young lives.
Our South Africa program is divided into three parts - orientation, cultural immersion placement and independent travel.
- Orientation - a chance to settle in, get to know your group and make sure you're fully prepared for all aspects of your placement.
- Immersion - you live and work with others in your group, sharing your skills, in one of our partner communities in in the Karoo, South Africa’s ‘Big Sky’ country. Key to the experience is the high level of independence we offer. We're always available, but we stand back and let you make the most of the experience.
- Independent Travel - the final month of the program is free for you to explore the wonders of South Africa with your group. We're still here to support you whenever you need!
- See and live in a part of South Africa few others do
- Live as part of the community
- Free State
- Orange River
- Philippolis: writer and intellectual Sir Laurens van der Post was born; one of the first colonial period settlements.
FREE Safari Experience when you travel to Africa with us...!!!
Africa & Asia Venture (AV) is one of the oldest gap year providers. Since 1993 AV has been offering unique immersive programs in Africa and Asia for those aged 17-25. You live and work in the local community in a group with fellow participants from around the world.