BVOL | Sri Lanka

TEACH CHILDREN  | SRI LANKA | BVOL
TEACH CHILDREN | SRI LANKA | BVOL
CHILD CARE  | SRI LANKA | BVOL
CHILD CARE | SRI LANKA | BVOL

BVOL - Budget Volunteering, specialize in affordable, exciting and worthwhile volunteering opportunities.

Sri Lanka, "the nation of smiling people", is an island country off the southern coast of India and is home to the highest biodiversity density of Asia. BVOL offer three projects in this amazing country, Caring for Elephants at the World Famous Pinnawala Elephant Orphanage, Orphanage Care at a Children's Home and Nutrition Centre and Teaching English to poor and underprivileged children, as well as a very spiritual Meditation Experience at a Buddhist retreat.

Your care. All projects provided by BVOL are fully risk assessed and you will always have access to 24/7 assistance
The projects. We pride ourselves in only providing ethical, worthwhile and fulfilling placements.

Note, we are a British based company with 20 years experience. All projects show prices in British Pounds (GBP) but we give a $US guide price on request.

Bill

The best experience of my life.

Right from being collected from the airport, I could not have been looked after any better. I arrived on the Saturday at lunchtime, and on the Sunday, Niranjala, the organiser, invited myself and the other two volunteers to her private house for a meal.
On the Monday morning, Mike, an American student, and I started work with the elephants. Since my visit last year, two babies had been born, and they were now about 8 months old, and such a joy to be with. They were so friendly and playful, and even tried to steal Mikes bootlace.
Every day after doing the shed cleaning we spent time hosing some of the elephants, and they even hosed us in return! We were allowed to feed them fruit directly into their mouths, and in order to do this you have to put your arm, up to the elbow, into her mouth. Luckily, they are not meat eaters!!
The week passed far to quickly, but on my final day there, I was able to take the staff out for a meal to help me celebrate my 68th birthday.

I would send all the mosquitos on holiday while I was there.
Terry

Amazing life experience

My Daughter and I had a wonderful 7 days on our Sri Lankan Elephant Experience.Our Accomodation was basic but clean.Staff were helpful and very friendly.All meals were amazing and filling.We had 3 to 4 hours Manual labour at the Orphanage, each day,which is hot and dirty work,mainly,mucking out huge Carport type sheds where Elephants stay of a night.We also got to wash and hose down several Elephants.The Orphanage workers are very friendly and appreciate the help.
After work,about late morning,we were taken to the Beautiful river and spent about 3 hours,amongst the Elephants.Watching and sometimes helping them bathe.
This is a Beautiful and life changing experience,as the Elephants are very family orientated and the young ones love fun.If you love animals and don't mind some hard work for some wonderful memories.I highly reccomend this project.

The only negative thing I felt was,a small number of the Mahoots (elephant handlers at the river) expected beers or small payment for helping wash elephants or taking photos for you.As we were wearing Volunteer shirts,I thought we should have been left alone.However the head Mahoots were great.