Friends for Asia: Volunteer Programs in Thailand

Volunteer abroad in Thailand with Friends for Asia! With a variety of different volunteer options in various parts of the country, there are plenty of ways to get involved in local life in Thailand. From teaching English in the north or south of Thailand, to working with monks, to participating in elephant conservation, you are sure to have a great time!

All types of volunteers are welcome at Friends for Asia in Thailand. Teaching programs include teaching children at schools or monks at monasteries. You will assist the local teacher in English instruction. If you choose to work at the elephant camp, you will be helping with washing and caring for elephants as well as construction and maintenance. Visit the website to learn more about these opportunties!

Ranbir

Remarkable Opportunity

Friends for Asia Foundation (FFA) has twice facilitated my placement as a volunteer English language teacher in Thailand. In 2017, I worked for 8 weeks at a Secondary school for Buddhist novice monks, and in 2018, for 10 weeks at a Primary school in a remote village of Chiang Mai province.

FFA made my placement seamlessly smooth from the beginning to the end. The infrastructure for reception and pre-placement stay in Chiang Mai, and eventual transfer to the school site was excellent. I was initially guided into critical understanding of matters related to Thai culture and language, health and safety, and food and transportation. Throughout my stay, an experienced, kind and extremely caring coordinator kept in touch. I thank my coordinator, Naphat Kasikitworakul (“Tae”), for a weekly breakfast supply of Muesli, yogurt, juices and fruits, and for a regular watch after my comfort and needs at the school site. The Director of FFA, Todd Cikraji, and the FFA staff went out and beyond to resolve any Thai Visa issues and to provide health and travel advice.

Once at the school, I was totally free to develop and use my teaching methods in coordination with the resident Thai English language teacher. I found 6 – 8 weeks an optimum period for a measurably meaningful instruction in English language.

It was an excellent opportunity to understand and partake in life enriching experiences.

Paul

Teaching Monks Chiang Mai

This was a moment in my life I can safely say I will remember for a long time. Friends for Asia took care of me from my arrival at Chiang Mai Airport where I was met to my Taxi ride back to the airport for my return home. They took the time to prepare me for my time in Thailand and my time teaching. The young Monks were a joy to be with and laughed with me as we journeyed through the day. The teaching staff took great care of me and included me as much as could be expected.The days were long as there were lesson plans to be prepared most evenings. At the end of week 2, it was a lot easier and I was able to mix up the plans for different classes. Friends for Asia is a great platform to travel and immerse yourself in a different culture. I meet some great people both Volunteers and Locals.My favourite thing was the laughter in the classroom.

Beth

Having just come back from Thailand, after volunteering for two weeks through Friends for Asia I can honestly say that this experience has renewed my faith in international volunteer programs.  In the past I have volunteered through other organizations in India, Haiti and Peru; all valuable experiences however short of the now high precedent that Friends for Asia has ranked in my heart.
                To begin the volunteer experience Friends for Asia provides a two-day orientation process that includes teaching basic Thai language, cultural norms and acceptable behavior, what to expect in your program and even in-city transportation. The volunteer houses are spacious and clean, laundry is available (yes each house has a washer), the kitchen and living rooms are modern, the bedrooms are comfortable. In addition, a program coordinator is on-site everyday, to assist with directions, suggestions for site-seeing and travel and to support you throughout your time with Friends for Asia.
For my volunteer project, I taught English to Buddhist monks at the Demonstration Pali School. I felt very welcomed by the monks and school staff and found that the monks were very eager to learn English and about myself and my culture. The lesson plans may not have always been followed exactly but I have never smiled more. Being in the monks company was a truly joyful time in my life.
I highly recommend this organization to anyone interested in visiting Thailand and is looking for an amazing life-enriching experience. I cannot express my gratitude enough to Todd, the program director and Aom, May, and Manong, the program coordinators, thank you from the bottom of heart!

Thanyamai

Worthwhile Experience

I did the Medical Internship programme for three weeks last summer in Chiang Mai. Seeing that I have done medical internship programmes before, I can say that this was different in the way that we got to fully engage with the various hospitals we were assigned to, and allowed for the experience to be invaluable. I learnt so many things, and the kindness and support of the staff bolstered the positive experience even more. The accommodation was also lovely, and the food for breakfast provided was plentiful. It is so easy to get around the town, and we got to go on some amazing weekend trips, such as to the Elephant Camps and the Sticky Waterfall. I kept a daily log of what I did and saw everyday, and still refer to it now during University (as some things overlap!). It was a positive experience overall.

Patrycja

Teaching Monks in Chiang Mai

This was one of the best experiences in my life. I am so grateful for this opportunity. It not only gave me a chance to share my passion for teaching and helping people but also taught me so much about Thai culture, tradition, Buddhism and fun everyday things. The Education system in Thailand is a bit different than what I am used to so it also helped me to think outside of the box and go out of my comfort zone. I’ve had experience in ESL teaching but this was nothing like I had experienced before. It depends on you how much you will take and learn from that experience. If you put your heart and passion into it and if you are willing to learn from Thais and monks you will come back home a different person. They culture is very welcoming and they are always interested in learning about your culture and your life. Be open minded and enjoy what the Land of Smiles has to offer. Apart from teaching Monks and learning about theirs lives and culture you will have a chance to experience beautiful events ,festivals, architecture and food of Chiang Mai. It was an amazing trip. Very fulfilling I am very grateful for this experience!

Taiysa

Professional and Rewarding Programs

Friends for Asia is a very supportive, professional and rewarding volunteer organization. They have the best orientation program I have experienced with a volunteer group before. They have support at all times for you. Their guest houses are clean comfortable and let you get to know the other volunteers. The have a lot of professional relationships with the community groups to give you a very meaningful and rewarding volunteer experience.

Brandon

Medical Intern in Chiang Mai

This internship was amazing. Before coming to Thailand I suffered from constant panic attacks that made it difficult to leave the house let alone the country. The staff welcomed the volunteers warmly and created a fun and safe environment. I made a lot of great friends in the FFA house and witnessed over 40 surgeries in the 3 week program. This experience changed my life and I'm so grateful for the opportunity.

If there was a bit more structure for the medical interns.
glazier_25

Loved My Experience

I spent 6 weeks with FFA teaching English at an international university for monks. I could not have been more pleased with both the FFA staff, and the project itself. Amazing life changing experience!

Wouldn't change a thing.

About Friends for Asia

Friends for Asia is a volunteer organization that places foreign volunteers and interns in projects in Bali, Thailand, Nepal and Vietnam. Originally started in 2007, Friends for Asia has placed hundreds of volunteers, from more than 18 different...