Bamboo - Thailand Volunteer Program

Bamboo - Thailand Volunteer Program

By Bamboo Reviewer Verified Badge   Reviews (8)   91% Rating

Bamboo has opportunities for you to be a part of community-based, Thai-led projects in education, childcare, health, construction, and elephant care.

Assist with the care of Elephants in the village to enable them to live in their natural environment. Learn how to work with, train, feed and wash the elephants.

Teaching English projects in Koh Samui and Chaing Rai Hill Tribes enable children to learn English giving them a much better chance in the future to gain employment.

Building and Childcare projects are also available to support communities where children and families live in very basic conditions.

A Student Nursing project in Surin enables medical students to work alongside local authorities we aim to provide essential basic medical care to those who are in desperate need.

Asia » Thailand
Hotel
$0.00/week
Cost Description
It is free to join Bamboo. If your application is successful we will then get to work organizing your placement and we will send further detail on your placement with information on how to prepare for your trip abroad.

The costs of the program depend on how long you wish to volunteer for. You can see details on our website.
Hua Hin

Rating Values

Lucy
New Zealand
University of Otago

Amazing experience

My partner and I both loved our time throughout this programme. We were both nervous having never done this kind of travelling before but once we got there the nerves didn't get a second thought. We were well supported the entire time and extremely well looked after by one of the local families (we are still trying to recreate some of the recipies). The school in which we were placed was very much on board with the programmes goals. In the classroom it was well structured and progressive learning with set patterns and of course the odd game. Tongue twisters are pretty fun if the kids eyes are glazing over in the afternoon. We saw a massive improvement in everyone's spoken English and their confidence in using their language skills. It was very sad to leave when our time was up. I would highly recommend this experience to anyone looking to immerse themselves in the culture and learn about another way of life while helping out the community.

Eric
Malaysia
University of Western Australia

My time in Thailand

Before departing for my 2 weeks volunteering in Thailand.. I have no idea what to look out for, let alone what to expect. After my 2 weeks volunteering in Thailand.. i've learned new cultures, met new friend (from & outside of Thailand) and gained new experiences. I loved every single minute of my time in Thailand. Undoubtedly one of my best experiences abroad by myself! The workload was good and the tour guides/care takers were excellent!!

Gene
Charleston, SC
Purdue University

Senior's view of Kho Samui

I lived at a cabin (for a little more) above the beach at Bang Por. It worked out well as I was provided a ride to my assigned school site. The ESL supervisors were enthusiastic and fun to work with. The students were sometimes mischievous but not mean and easily diverted. Group dinners and eating street food at the various "walking streets" was fun and tasty. In daylight hours riding "songtaels"--jeepneys--is a reasonable way to get around the island but after dark it is the wild west for fares. As an 80 year old, I loved it and would do it again if I continue to feel healthy

Evelyn
N/a

Experience Real Life

Experience the way another culture lives. Interact on a daily basis have fun with their children enjoy their food but most of all make new friends

The wealth of experience you will gain will stay with you for ever and you can stay in contact with all your new friends and perhaps return to see how their lives have changed

Perhaps for people working with children there could be a simple plan that volunteers could follow ie songs activities learning. All volunteers could use this thus giving some continuity

Beata
Bali, Indonesia

Taking part in ‪this program wasn't only an adventure for me, it's an opportunity to write a new page in the story of my life.

On January, when I was living in Poland, almost everything seemed to be going wrong. I must make a decision. Do I want to blame everything for my failures and complain about my problems? Or take responsibility of the only life I have and make a change? Start over again. Live a bigger life. Get out of my comfort zone. Take courage to live my purpose and dreams not fears.

I followed my heart and it was the best decision I could have ever made. I am in the middle of a miracle currently.

Volunteering was the start of my new live. I was taking part in "build and beach" program. We were helping children have a better place to learn. The kids were lovely. They are always smiling. I enjoyed spending time with them. Working as a volunteer gave me huge satisfaction and a great experience. I am so happy to gave something back to the World. To be the change. This is an incredible feeling deep inside my heart. I was so greatful to be a part of it.

Koh Samui is like paradise! Views are breathtaking! I loved spending my free time exploring this stunning place. People are nice and cheerful. I was making new friends from around the world. The food is divine! Especially seafood. I fell in love with Thai cuisine.

And this is just a beginning...
Believe in your dreams!!

Kisses,
Beata from Poland

It could be great if the staff spend more time with volunteers after work and organize some events with all volunteers from all programs on the island. Just because I love them so much!

Sherry
Alberta,Canada

Great experience!

Thoroughly enjoyed the volunteer experience. Program was great and the staff were amazing and very helpful. Loved living in the village and seeing first hand how the people there lived. I am very appreciative of being able to have done this and would love to do another volunteer experience with GVN.

Please add in Thai the address for the volunteer house in Bangkok also maybe add a side note for the new
Travellers that to request the "Meter" when getting a taxi from the Bangkok airport.
I would have also liked to help in the village
More.

Jackie
Devon, England

Volunteering in Thailand

Being a mature volunteer, I always tend to worry beforehand that other young volunteers in their twenties and thirties will look at me and wonder why I am there! However, this is not true, I have had a great two weeks so far and have signed up for another two which shows how good it is!

I came out here to teach and hopefully give something back to a community that hasn't the same benefits of our western society. Whilst here I have had some hairy rides on motor bikes up impossible hills, been out on a 4WD up into the jungle, been down slides at the waterfall, driven through torrential rains, along ravines and met some jungle spiders!

So I guess I am getting as much from this trip as I am giving back and I would encourage anyone - from 20 - 80 to give it a try!

All pretty good. Shorter rainy season would be good!

Karly
Canada

Best experience ever.

I went and volunteered with a GVN partner organization this summer in Thailand, specifically working with the elephants. It was by far the BEST decision i have ever made. Planning my trip to Thailand was a bigger process then I had thought but GVN helped out tremendously. I had to switch start dates and flights and GVN answered ever question I had. The staff and other volunteers i met at the rescue centre in Thailand were great, they were all nice and had a passion for animals and taking care of them the right way. I never realized how much i loved animals till i got their, the elephants are the most beautiful animals ever. Even though the jobs were more physically demanding that you had to do everyday, being with the elephants and watching them interact in their environment was beyond anything i have experienced. I only stayed three weeks this summer but i would like to go for even a few months in the next year or so. This experience was life changing, sounds corny but its true.

Bamboo is the next step in independent volunteering and adventure travel.

We're dedicated to pushing the boundaries of what responsible tourism is all about. Our dedicated team, consisting of the perfect mix of international travellers and passionate locals, know exactly how to ensure that both