- You have the option to participate in other activities such a kayaking, cycling, watersports on a lake, evening Bar B Q and Sky lantern lighting.
- There is the opportunity to make a 3 night trip to Cambodia neighboring Cambodia
- You can help teach kids in the local school and the "Mahouts" family members English. You get to make paper" products made from recycled elephant dung.
- You get to experience an authentic Thai Homestay in the heart of Thailand
- There is a weekly evening party which is attended by the mahouts and their families and includes an auction to raise money for the mahouts and their families.
Country Roads’ Elephant Freedom Project is a small elephant sanctuary created with support from the Surin Provincial Administrative Organization and the Elephant Study Center in Thailand, and is led by Khun Nang and Khun Kim. The project provides mahouts and their elephants a natural, less stressful and sustainable alternative to street begging and other forms of tourism such as circuses and elephant rides. Mahouts are taught ways they can treat their elephants more humanely with no chains or hooks. The project also provides free English language training to the mahouts’ children.
Travel to Surin, Thailand to learn about the work being done by an elephant sanctuary, and have the amazing opportunity to volunteer with the local mahouts that care for these elephants! Through your efforts and support, you can help the Country Roads’ Elephant Freedom Project explore ecologically sustainable and elephant-friendly tourism options.
View Program Information
Transport to project site from Surin bus or train station
Three meals per day if volunteering on weeklong program
Lunch and dinner if volunteering on the one day, overnight stay program
Lunch if on single day visit with no overnight stay
WHAT’S NOT INCLUDED
Transport from airport to and from Surin bus or train station
Side trips, snacks, and other entertainment expenses
This program has not been reviewed yet.