• Uganda

Age Max
Spring Break Summer Winter Year Round
Apartment Guesthouse Host Family Hostel
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30)

Pricing

$200 USD
After you have been accepted into the project by the volunteer coordinator, then you will have to pay a placement confirmation donation $200 booking fee. Since we started, the numbers of volunteers applying has increased by each year.

Unfortunately only a third of those who promise that they will come, have in fact arrived. The wastage in volunteer coordinators’ time and the fact that volunteers who could have come were refused due to holding the space for someone else who didn’t turn up, has forced us implement this. We hope that by implementing the fee, only serious volunteers will thus secure the chance to volunteer in our projects.
What's Included
Accommodation Airport Transfers Meals Transportation Wifi
What's Not Included
Airport Transfers Equipment Travel Insurance Visa
Sep 18, 2019
Sep 07, 2021

Are you looking at doing something more remarkable on your holiday? Ssamba Foundation engages volunteers in locally-run community, conservation, teaching, health care, building and sports projects and so much more around Uganda.

Volunteers contributes a lot at everything that happens at Ssamba Foundation. We couldn’t do it without them! There are many ways to volunteer your time, skills and talents to help out in Uganda.

Depending on the season, Ssamba Foundation has a list of much needed services which can be provided by volunteers within our projects around Uganda.

The volunteer placements are customizable for individual travelers, students, professionals, families, groups, or anyone with the desire to volunteer in deserving communities in Uganda.

The time you spend volunteering with us and the projects in which you will be involved are all geared to your skills and interests, and the community’s needs.

Program Highlights

• Immerse yourself in this rural community
  • Promote sustainable community livelihoods
  • Two days free safari or sightseeing tour
  • Make friends for life and Full culture immersion
  • Improve the living standards of local people

Making bricks in Uganda
Patrick

I had an amazing time and really enjoyed this project

Having spent the last couple of months on this project in Uganda, I can honestly say it has been one of the best and most rewarding experiences of my life. The location of the projects is fantastic, a remote Ugandan village covered in gardens and farmlands, the chance to mix with the locals and get a real feel for Ugandan culture.

The home life is basic but is a welcome relief and is what traveling and project work like this is all about. Getting to eat local food direct from the land was fantastic and being able to cook as a family was great and a real bonding activity. The people you live with become your best friends and family and you get to experience so much together.

I had an amazing time and really enjoyed this project, it was a culture shock when we first arrived however Isaac briefed us on what to do and where to go. I recommend future volunteers make sure that they carry more than enough insects’ repellant

I can't recommend this project enough and look forward to coming back again soon! If you want to experience real Ugandan culture, make friends for life and contribute to a project that is really helping change people’s life and the environment then you should choose Ssamba Foundation, Isaac is doing some amazing work in his community!

Suzanne

I absolutely LOVE this organization!!

The connections I made with other volunteers and the community members will never be forgotten. Mr. Ssamba (the founder) is incredibly kind and caring and made me feel so welcome and safe. I did the community outreach program with other local and western volunteers and this was awesome because the children and the women were so sweet and welcoming.

This experience truly made me a better person, taught me new things and has allowed me to see the world differently. I was able to discover a completely new culture and community.

Isaac offered us unbelievable support during our stay. Every concern or query we raised was dealt with immediately and he and his family went out of their way to make sure all our needs were met and we were comfortable and happy on all levels - offering physical and emotional support whenever needed.

Sandy was fantastic! She made the most amazing meals, served us tea, took care of us when we were ill and was there for us all day every day and night with a smile on her face.

Isaac also organized our Murchison Falls Safari which was fantastic, memorable and affordable! Very well organized, and wonderful sightseeing.

Overall this is one of this is a great organization making real positive impact. Highly recommended to anyone interested in visiting Uganda!!

Natálie

Fantastic Time in Uganda

It’s honestly hard to describe accurately in words my time at the hospital in Mukono – it was an incredible learning experience. From the moment I landed in Uganda, I felt very welcome and medical staff was so helpful.

Dr. Samson was a fantastic source of information and advice during my stay. I had a fantastic time at the volunteer home too, all the volunteers I met were nice and I have kept in touch with some.

The best part of the program is that- this organization is locally run by some of the most experienced team and it’s really affordable. I have no word than thanking to all support of Beacon of Hope Uganda.

If you are planning to do some volunteer work in Uganda. Please talk to Isaac, he will be very helpful. On top of organizing my volunteer placement, he also arranged a budget safari for me and the other girls at the home.

Tamicka

I really enjoyed my time in Uganda with Beacon of Hope

I really enjoyed my time in Uganda with Beacon of Hope. The staff is wonderful and the teaching project at the Kasala school was a great experience.

The project is amazing and the kids are so much fun to work with. I really enjoyed doing the arts classes with the kids, they are so creative.

The safari was great experience too. Mukono is such an amazing city, especially the night life.

My first week with Beacon of Hope Uganda, was a very busy one, the amount of information I learnt in such a short period of time was astounding, and yet I thrived to want to learn more.

Helping the art class and learning more about social problems in Uganda was really humbling. I cannot wait to do another volunteer project with you.

Couldn't recommend BoHU more!! Thanks Isaac, Sandra and the entire team of Beacon of Hope Uganda.

What was your funniest moment?
Riding the boda boda taxi deep in villages was my funniest moment.
Cat

full of new experiences

The past four weeks have been so jammed full of new experiences, relationships, exploration, busyness and just general good times that I’ve found it really hard to get the right words for this experience. I volunteered with Beacon of Hope Uganda and I think, not only from my experience but from word of mouth that it’s the best local NGO in Uganda.

Beacon of Hope Uganda was started up by Isaac Ssamba in 2006 when he was just 19!! Isaac and his team have built, Beacon of Hope Uganda into a truly welcoming and rewarding volunteer program with a number of grassroots impactful projects (schools, health clinic and women projects).

Speaking to Isaac about his work and passions was one of my favorite things, the way he spoke so enthusiastically and passionately was very inspiring. Thanks Beacon of Hope Uganda for this wondering experience and making me fall in love with Uganda, your home.

Michele

Truly Outstanding Experience

I'm Michele from Switzerland, I'm 21 years, I volunteered at Children Orphanage home, outside Kampala. I stayed with a local host family. The family was hospitable and always around chatting and sharing meals.

The project was outstanding and the team at Beacon of Hope Uganda is awesome. They helped me and the other volunteers in every aspect of our trip. They explained the Ugandan culture, taking us on a 4 day trip around the country visiting many historical sites, and a wildlife safari.

Beacon of Hope Uganda is an all around wonderful organization. From the first day you could really take charge of your own experience.

I am sure it’s the perfect organization for anyone who is travelling to Uganda for the first time as well as experienced travelers. I really loved the experience.

Its truly a great organization.
Melanie

Thank you Beacon of Hope Uganda for the great experience.

Since I was a little girl I have always felt an odd connection with Africa without knowing why. I thought it may have something to do with the land…with Savanna Trees…maybe even with elephants. I never dreamed it could have been with the people.

And so it was that at age 58, I left for Uganda hoping to learn more about this place about which I knew so little, and to form a single alliance between a woman of the First World and a people of the Third World. In working as a volunteer with Beacon of Hope Uganda, I had the good fortune to live with the founder of the organization Isaac Ssamba and his team, getting to know them, their extended families and neighbors, and learning firsthand about BoHU’s numerous programs of community outreach.

The first thing I learned was that Ugandan people as a whole, are the most hospitable, generous, and friendly I have ever had the good fortune to meet. I had expected to be somewhat intimidated or even frightened traveling alone to Uganda, but I can say that without exception I never felt either of those things.

Experiencing their sweetness and generosity of spirit is truly a commonplace occurrence. Suffice it to say, I love Ugandan people!

While in Uganda I kept a personal diary. I wanted to share something of it here, but could not decide what impacted me most and wanted to share with the reader—the children living at the Orphanage? The school visits? Hungry children? Young people coming to the house hoping that BoHU could pay their school fees or mothers hoping they could get help for their sick children?

The women who support themselves making crafts? How about something simple like the affectionate neighbor children who sang for us, held our hands, sat on our laps? Beacon of Hope Uganda conducts so many worthy programs that to discuss one seems to lessen the importance of another, and everyday life is in itself an adventure.

Thank you Beacon of Hope Uganda for the great experience.

Herbert

Absolutely loved everything about the organization

I spent four weeks in Uganda, volunteering with Beacon of Hope Uganda. They were incredibly helpful in every other way. They picked me up from the airport and the accommodation and food was fine and fruits are delicious.

The resources are scarce for many local projects it seems to be the prime limiting factor for making progress.

Volunteering in Uganda was truly an amazing experience. Absolutely loved everything about the organization and would recommend it to everyone, regardless of where you're from or what you do for a living, they are affordable and very grassroots.