Volunteer on Texas Hurricane Response Program | No Program Fee

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from All Hands and Hearts - Smart Response.

We have suspended operations until at least May 12th at locations around the world in response to the global threat of the coronavirus (COVID-19). This proactive measure is intended to minimize the risk COVID-19 poses to staff, volunteers and the people within the communities we serve. Read the full update here: https://bit.ly/COVID-19-AllHandsandHearts

In the meantime, please feel free to complete this interest form and we will contact you once our programs are reopening: https://bit.ly/GoOverseasInterestForm

If you have any questions, you can contact our Volunteer Coordination Team anytime at coronavirusinfo@allhandsandhearts.org. You can also give us a call at 508-758-8211 (select option #1 to reach our Volunteer Coordination Team).

• NO program fee, + receive free accommodation and meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided). Roundtrip domestic US flights are also available to those volunteering for 2+ weeks in Texas (subject to availability)
  • Have the opportunity to aid a community post-disaster.
  • Undergo on-site construction training (with tools and equipment provided. No previous construction experience is required to volunteer with us.)
  • Engage in cultural immersion and community development.
  • Meet volunteers from all over the world committed to service.

Impact

We make a long-term commitment and engage our trained volunteers to work with the community to rebuild disaster-resilient homes, schools, daycare facilities and community centers, the hubs of every community. By providing a free and open door for every volunteer around the globe, as well as cutting edge-training, we transform the good hearts and willing hands of our volunteers into a powerful team that can jump in and create an immediate impact in disaster-affected areas.

You must be at least 16 years of age to volunteer in the field with us. To be a Residential Volunteer and sleep at our base you must be 18 or over. Volunteers age 16 and 17 are welcome to join as Day Volunteers, provided they are joined by a guardian at least 18 years of age who will also be joining as a Day Volunteer.

Hi, We can provide you with a visa invitation letter if you require it for your visa application.

Diana

Working as a Team

I volunteered for the Houston Project back in Jan of this year and it was great. I have also volunteered on other AHAH projects and the living model is the same. Communal living with people who want to make a difference in the world. If you are ready to work and have a good attitude, a sense of adventure and don't mind sharing a space with 30 other people then this is the place for you. The people are truly amazing and I just loved volunteering. I am now at the Coastal Bend Program in Rockport TX and find that although it is the same state this program has a more mellow feel to it, possibly because of the small town feel. Still the people that I have met here are amazing and I am so thankful to be able to get to know everyone. Definitely a place to get to know new people and new places.

Beckie

Best experience of my life

I volunteered with All hands and Hearts houston in March. My fiancé and I went for a week which I thought would be enough but after how much we loved it and enjoyed our time I wish we had stayed 3 months. Everything was very well organised, everyone we met was so friendly we made some friends. The site supervisor Barrett would we worked with was very welcoming and so encouraging, he was patience and kind and made us feel like we could achieve anything. All the staff made us feel at home and were genuinely interested in getting to know us. The food and accommodation was well organised and cleaned daily by volunteers.

Not to sound too cliche but the experience was life changing and made us both feel differently about how we see ourselves and others and want to give our time to more programmes in the future.
I would recommend everyone to give even just one week you get as much as you give. It’s awesome

Nothing, the programme and organisation is fantastic!!
Mariana

Unforgettable Volunteer Experience

This was my first project with All Hands and Hearts and most definitely not my last. I was originally signed up to volunteer in Houston for two weeks, but after my first few days I knew I wanted to stay longer. I ultimately remained on project for just over three months, and in that time I worked on sites that will stay with me forever and made friends who became family.

The Houston project is filled with a variety of different work, including muck & guts, sanitations, rebuilds, and more. I've had days where I was installing flooring and others where I completed entire kitchen guts. No matter the task at hand, each day's work was overwhelmingly gratifying .

Words cannot fully describe the level of love and admiration I have for this project, and I'm sure each new volunteer will feel the same. I would return in an instant if I could.

Rachel

Rachel

Volunteering with All Hands and Hearts - Smart Response in both Denham Springs, Louisiana and then in Aransas Pass, Texas was the most life changing experience I’ve had thus far. I went in wanting to do something adventurous but selfless and All Hands and Hearts provided just that. An incredible, fulfilling, exciting, yet difficult in all of the best ways possible experience. I met some of my absolute favorite human beings, learned an entire new skill set, and above all else gained a new perspective on life and how I think we as human beings should spend our lives. Being given the chance to travel, meet new like-minded people, and put myself to work to help people who have been put into unexpected and unfortunate circumstances is something I cannot thank All Hands and Hearts for enough. I highly recommend applying to volunteer on any of AHAH’s programs open around the world.

This program beyond adequately provided every experience I was hoping for. I have no suggestions for improvement.
Cassidy

All Hands & Hearts Still Doing Recovery In Houston!!!

People still need help in Texas after Hurricane Harvey and AH&H is still there when most organizations have left. AH&H brings a variety of people together to live and work with each other. You create a family with the people you meet and they become life long friends. I have learned so much about myself and the value of community from working with this organization. I highly recommend this organization to anyone seeking adventure and a valuable learning experience. They work all over the world and get there early and stay late.

More hang out sessions with volunteers and staff members!
Andrew

Sweat, Tears and Smiles

Talk about hard and rewarding work... With years of volunteering, its rare to find a volunteer community as strong and passionate as this one. All Hands and Hearts does an excellent job balancing work completed with an immersive and structured volunteer experience. Program staff make incredible strides to insure the comfort of all the volunteers, so that they can better impact the communities they are assisting.

With skilled leaders at the helm of every site, volunteers can expect to challenge themselves learning basic to advanced construction skills with opportunities to lead and teach others. If you're searching for a way to give back, one of the most valuable things you can give is time. It means the world to the people who need assistance getting back on their feet after a devastating disaster that displaced thousands. Prepare to share tears and smiles with amazing and grateful homeowners and like-minded volunteers.

Give two weeks now, impact someones life forever.

More volunteers!
Ryan

Paradigm Shifting Experience

All Hands and Hearts Volunteers has changed my life. I found All Hands Volunteers last October and volunteered for a while and eventually became staff. The communal environment is good for the soul and the work is something to channel passion into and get the most out of the human experience. I have been part of something larger than myself, helping those most vulnerable, and made life long friends and countless beautiful experiences along the way. I would recommend them to anyone who loves to be around others, really get to know themselves, and do some good work.

The staff is passionate and there for the right reasons, AHAH can do a better job of retaining staff for long term. Everything else is amazing and I love being part of this beautiful organization.
JeriAnna

It felt like home

I never knew a group of strangers from all over the world could make such a huge impact and feel like family. The communal living was great! great food, great accommodations! I was on the Texas project for 5 months. I wish I could have stayed longer.

The staff was amazing and kind, and the work was difficult but rewarding! I would recommend this program to anyone!!! I will be back! There is no doubt about that!

n/a