Volunteer for one week with the resilient people of Fayette County in West Virginia. Contribute your time and skills and work one-on-one with children, teens, and adults. Experience a world largely misunderstood by casual visitors.
Possible volunteer work projects include:
• Building repair and rehabilitation
• After-school and GED tutoring
• Summer enrichment program
• Housing assistance
Volunteers of any background are encouraged to share their skills. This program is great for families volunteering together. (The minimum age is 8.) Through important, full-day volunteer assignments and free-time activities, you learn about Appalachian culture and the significant ways you improve children’s and families’ lives.
- Learn about Appalachian culture.
- Work alongside people in West Virginia to support a community in need.
- All logistics (except for airfare) arranged by our staff, so you can focus on volunteering.
- Global Volunteers' policy: safety trumps everything. Volunteers are well taken care of by their Team Leader while on a service program.
- Explore the hills and hollers of Appalachia.
Much of southern West Virginia is designated a federal "empowerment zone" because of high poverty levels and limited employment opportunities occurring in the past five decades. Because of this modern legacy, the people of West Virginia have been frequently stereotyped as "backwoods" and "hillbilly" in the political and entertainment media. In truth, the opposite is true. West Virginians are a resourceful, industrious people who have worked hard to overcome the exploitation and subsequent abandonment of the large-scale logging and coal mining firms which dominated their economy in the early 20th century. Improved education, health, and nutrition are state goals.
Global Volunteer’s host partner has developed many innovative community revitalization programs to help provide essential services addressing the significant social challenges of the area. This is where our volunteer teams have had a great impact since 1999. You can join this legacy of service enriching the lives of bright and eager youth and young adults while experiencing the resilience of their culture first hand.
No matter your background or skills, you’ll be treated as a valued resource for bright students in this welcoming community!