• United States of America

Program Details

Age Max
Hostel Hotel Lodge
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30)

Pricing

$6,975 USD
Special scholarships up to $2,500 are open and additional financial assistance is available. Program fee includes all in-country expenses like lodging, food, private transportation, COVID-19 tests, PPE, entrance fees, etc.
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Meals Transportation
What's Not Included
Airfare
Sep 07, 2021
Sep 30, 2021

Colorado has a natural beauty and landscape that is unparalleled in the United States. Do hands-on volunteer service and spend time learning from local leaders to hear their vision for the future of Colorado's natural environment. This is a one-of-a-kind chance to experience conservation up close in some of the country's most majestic scenery!

Program Highlights

• Explore the themes of conservation and natural resource management in Colorado
  • Live and travel with a pod of 15–17 other students
  • Meet local officials and environmental advocates
  • Visit national parks and protected areas
  • Health and Safety - adhere to enhanced health and safety protocols, including COVID-19 testing and a Health and Wellness Coordinator on staff

Program Impact

Explore conservation and natural resource management in the American West while focusing on the AMIGOS program pillars of ethical service, cultural humility, and leadership.

• 9-10 rating 71.43%
  • 7-8 rating 28.57%
Julian

Amigos Colorado Trip

I really liked my experience on this trip. First of all, the setting was beautiful. This was my first time out West and the mountain vistas were incredible. Pretty much everywhere we went was breathtaking. Secondly, the activities and work we did were great. Whether it was working on a farm, learning about wolves and bighorn sheep, or whitewater rafting, each experience felt educational and invigorating. I probably tried more things in those 3 weeks than any other. Perhaps most importantly, the people I went on the trip with were great. All three Amigos staff members on the trip made it as good as possible, and the 13 other participants were all uniquely interesting. Half the fun came from getting to know everyone, and I definitely made some great friends. I highly recommend this trip to anyone interested in conservation, the outdoors, getting to know others, and experiencing some independence!

Response from Amigos de las Americas

Hi Julian,

We're glad to hear you had a great time in Colorado this summer! Thank you for sharing your experience.

-Amigos de las Americas

Lily

Western Colorado Session B

I initially joined this program on a bit of a whim and didn't quite know what to expect, but I can say without a doubt that it is one of the best decisions I have ever made. Our days were a perfect mix of education and fun, with a variety of partner organizations and adventurous activities. The service work we did was not only well-tied to our curriculum of environmental conservation but also encouraged teamwork among volunteers. My two favorite service days included our hike and trail maintenance on Mount Elbert and helping harvest, plant, and maintain a Salida community farm. By the end of each work day, I really felt like I had made a positive impact for our planet and learned valuable skills to continue to protect the environment, and all in such gorgeous scenery. One particularly unique experience was our day at the Ute Mountain Tribal Park, where a Ute tour guide led us through the Ancestral Land of the Pueblo people. We were able to see many thousand-year-old ruins and artifacts and learn their history in a very genuine and authentic way; I gained a new perspective and respect for the Native people of Colorado and their land.
However, by far my favorite part about the trip, and the part I expected the least, was the amazing and diverse people I was able to meet and get to know. From playing Uno the first night to the 3 day rafting trip to blasting music on car rides, each moment was a chance to learn something new about someone and bond and grow together. We helped each other through highs and lows and created some absolutely amazing memories along the way, I truly feel like I've made some lifelong friends. As cheesy as it sounds, this trip was life changing for me and there is so much knowledge I am excited to bring back to my community, I am so thankful for the amazing opportunities the Colorado program gave me!

Bring a pillow, lots of warm weather clothes, and a fun card game, be ready to meet lots of new people and go in with an open mind!
1 person found this review helpful.
Lily

Western Colorado Session B

Response from Amigos de las Americas

Hi Lily,

Thank you for sharing your experience this summer in Colorado!

-Amigos de las Americas

Brian

Rocky Mountain high... COLORADO!

I will never forget to long drives with John Denver, Vampire Weekend and Kora's playlists on the speakers, the exhausting hikes that endured with altitude fatigue, the beautiful nature, and certainly the amazing volunteers and staff that made it so memorable (shoutout to Hrittik’s doll - you’re the best one <3).

Oh the volunteering part? It was really good as well. We got our hands on sustainable farming to combat food insecurity in the Gunnison basin, and community gardening for the school district in Salida, both CSA-related programs (Community-Supported Agriculture), which was fun, productive, and eye-opening to learn about the technology, methods, and procedures they have doing these work. We also did gruesome trailwork on gargoyles, which had us tremendously appreciate the work put in these simple-looking routes. We did some land maintenance through cleaning up wood twigs and pigsties (amazing!). All of these put us into perspective and blah blah blah… But really though, it was an experience to connect and talk to people who are helping to enrich and protect the landscape and communities of Colorado.

There were curriculums and purely educational excursions as well, where we talked to scientists, conservationists, activists about different issues around conservation like domestic sheeps vs. bighorn sheeps vs. wolves, or Ne$tlé’s increasing influence on water and politics in Colorado, or smaller activities like testing water quality or spraying native seeds in the forest. I also enjoyed learning about climate change in tribal parks without mentioning the word.

Still what popped out most was the beautiful scenery in Colorado. As we toured around the Western Slope, there was almost a pervading connection to nature. I loved the morning breeze of the mountains, the vast eternity of tree lines, and even though I’m not supposed to, the aromatic smell of pine needles. I loved seeing the water lines in rivers and reservoirs, and longed to break AMIGOS rules of only being able to wade in water.

Colorado was a distant, peaceful getaway in the summer, but it felt home for the cool people, pretty nature, vibrant rhythm, and constant reflections during the trip.

Bring lots of sleeping bags, sunscreen, mosquito sprays, and hype.
Response from Amigos de las Americas

Hi Bryan,

Thank you for sharing your experience with AMIGOS in Colorado this summer!

-Amigos de las Americas

Hannah

Amigos Western Colorado Session A 2021

Spending three weeks in Colorado with really cool people is an experience I will never forget. We started in Denver, made our way to Salida, and drove to Durango as our last stop of the trip. Along the way, I learned about wildfires, regenerative farming and why the bighorn sheep population is dwindling. We also identified aquatic creatures to determine the health of the Arkansas river, learned about traditional ecological knowledge, and had many jam sessions in Big Betty (the van). I had fun cooking dinner, playing games and leading a hike. Going into the trip, I had no idea what it was going to be like but it ended up being one of the best summers of my life. I would definitely recommend this program since I had a blast!

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
Overall, this was an amazing program but I would have enjoyed working with more partner agencies in Colorado.
Response from Amigos de las Americas

Hi Hannah,

We're glad to hear your experience with AMIGOS made it one of the best summers of your life! Thank you for sharing your review.

-Amigos de las Americas

Holly

Amigos de las Americas

As a former Amigo myself (Ecuador 1990), and a parent of a 2 time Amigo student traveler, I have had long experience with the organization.
My daughter has traveled twice in the last 3 years to Costa Rica with Amigos. This year (2021) was obviously impacted heavily by COVID-19, and so was a different trip. The students were unable to stay with a family, so there was less overall exposure to the culture and daily life. That being said, Amigos worked hard to give the kids an immersive experience and put them in touch with the amazing environment in Costa Rica.

Follow the packing list closely, study the local slang, prepare to put down the phone and participate.
Anna

AMIGOS Western Colorado 2021 Session B

This program changed my life. Spending a month in Colorado was exactly what I needed in this time of stress and uncertainty. It allowed me to disconnect from school and my life at home and bond with some incredible people in beautiful places. We learned so much in a short period of time, and we were given such an extraordinary opportunity to connect to and learn from nature. I believe my bonds with my peers and leaders will last a lifetime and I will carry my newfound knowledge with my in order to impact any community I am a part of in a positive way. I grew so much during my program in Colorado and am forever grateful for my experience.

Go into the program with confidence, especially if you don't know any of the other volunteers! It's such a special experience to bond with your group while just getting to know each other.
Response from Amigos de las Americas

Thank you, Anna! So glad to hear about the impact the program had on you this summer.

-Amigos de las Americas