• United States of America

Program Details

Short Term Summer Winter
Lodge
Groups
Small Group (1-15) Medium Group (16-30) Large Group (31+)
Travel Type
Budget Family Older Travelers Solo Women

Pricing

There is no cost to volunteer!
What's Included
Accommodation Activities Equipment Some Meals
What's Not Included
Airfare Domestic Airfare Airport Transfers SIM cards Transportation Travel Insurance Visa
Sep 23, 2021
Sep 19, 2021
4 travelers are looking at this program

Louisiana was hit by five named storms last year, two of which (Hurricanes Laura and Delta) caused significant damage which was further compounded by recent rains and flooding.

All Hands and Hearts has been on the ground since September of 2020, working to provide immediate assistance and long-term relief to southwest Louisiana. Our initial assessment showed an immediate need for our traditional response activities, such as clearing hazardous trees, removing damaged drywall, and tarping damaged roofs to dry-in residents. After months of work, we transitioned to our recovery phase, with added capacity to provide more permanent solutions such as installing new roofing and replacing damaged insulation and drywall.

We are now offering free round trip flights to participants willing to volunteer for a minimum of 2 weeks!

Join our team of volunteers and staff as we work to rebuild the Southwest Louisiana by volunteering today!

This program is currently not being promoted on Go Overseas by its provider. Check with All Hands and Hearts for the most up-to-date information regarding the status of this program.

Program Highlights

• Guaranteed NO program fee
  • Receive free accommodation and meals (breakfast, lunch, and dinner provided during the work week Sunday - Thursday)
  • Undergo on-site construction training, with tools and equipment provided. No previous construction experience is required to volunteer with us.
  • Help the community of Lake Charles, LA recover from the damage of Hurricane Laura and Hurricane Delta
  • Free round trip flights to participants staying 2+ weeks! Must be in the US!

Program Impact

123 Disaster Programs
20 Countries Served
309 Schools Completed and
115,000+ Children Back to School

Join our cause. Volunteer with All Hands and Hearts to have a greater impact on a community in need.

• 5 rating 66.67%
  • 4 rating 33.33%
  • 3 rating 0%
  • 2 rating 0%
  • 1 rating 0%
Dionte
No, I don't recommend this program

the bigger picture

My overall experience with the all hands and hearts hurricane laura relief program in Louisiana was pretty interesting i must say i had a couple of problems with two of the team leaders. When i left the program the best part of the program was the volunteering, this program taught me that its not about the people your staying with but its about the people you are helping and thats the big picture i will be volunteering with all hands again but unfortunately not this program.

What was your funniest moment?
When i was walking to the van and my shoe strings locked together and i tripped.
Response from All Hands and Hearts

Hi Dionte,

Thank you for sharing this feedback. I'm sorry to learn you did not have an entirely positive experience on this program. We aim to provide a safe and inclusive environment for all of our volunteers, and I'm disappointed to learn this is how you felt about our Hurricane Laura Program. If you would like to discuss this issue more please reach out to volunteer@allhandsandhearts.org and a member of our team will be in touch to listen to your concerns.

Despite there being challenges, I'm pleased to learn that you found the fieldwork positive and impactful. I hope that any negative interactions do not prevent you from rejoining one of our programs in the future.

Denise

I had a great experience

I have volunteered with All Hands and Hearts in other places and can say that going to Louisiana was one of my better experiences. The accommodation is communal. However, the facility is clean, spacious, has great showers, a place to cook, and is comfortable. The staff on the program are great. They ensure that volunteers are taking care of. They also provide activities for volunteers to do. The volunteers are provided food 5 days a week which is great. The staff will take you to the store if you need grocery items. If you would like to go somewhere on the weekends, there is a way to get around. If the staff are available, they will take you or you can get a Lyft. I really enjoyed my time here and especially love the work they are doing on homes.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
At this program, they are rebuilding homes that were affected by the hurricane. So, there are many tools that I had to learn how to use. One of the tools was a circular saw. I really didn't want to use any type of saw since my friend had recently cut off his finger using a saw. Needless to say, I was scared. The staff member was patient and demonstrated how to use the saw. Afterwards, the staff member had me use the saw while guiding me through the process. I was very relieved afterwards that I overcame my fear.
Anthony

Absolutely great experience

I have volunteered with All Hands previously and had great experiences but I have to say that this was the best staff so far. The staff are personable, helpful, knowledgeable, and overall great people. I miss them so much!

During my time in Louisiana I felt that I helped out, contributed, and learned new skills, but also met amazing people. Only if you are an amazing person who wants to volunteer for the right reasons (because I am feeling very protective of this organization and of these people) run, don’t walk, and pull your voluntrigger.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would have planned to stay longer. I wish I was still there honestly.