Volunteer in Vanuatu - Non Profit Org & Charity (30+ Years)

Over 12% of Vanuatu’s population live below the poverty line, with 1/3 of people lacking access to basic services.

Experience the real South Pacific with IVI. Vanuatu has unspoiled natural beauty, jungle trails, unique culture, stunning coastlines and off the beaten path destinations to explore. With a track record spanning over 30 years, you can trust IVI to provide a worthwhile and authentic volunteering experience. Vanuatu is recognized as one of the most culturally diverse countries in the world. Dances, ceremonies, artistic styles, authority status, and cultural traditions can vary from island to island. We have 4 amazing programs to choose from.

Meaningful Volunteer Programs in Vanuatu:

- Nutrition & Public Health Outreach
- Teaching in schools and kinder
- Coral Reef Marine Conservation & Diving
- Community Construction
- Cultural Orientation Week

Meet other international volunteers and experience Vanuatu like a local!

• Covered in tropical rain forests, mountains and volcanoes, Vanuatu is a stunning group of 88 islands in the South Pacific.
  • Travel with purpose in Vanuatu and help support underprivileged communities.
  • 30+ years experience. IVI provides safe, high quality & responsible volunteer travel experiences.
  • Over 25,000+ Volunteers Placed Worldwide
  • Vanuatu is a short 3 hour from from Brisbane, Australia

Coronavirus Update

Due to the COVID-19 outbreak, anyone who has booked with IVI can change or delay their project until August 2021.

Popular Programs

Conduct health checks in the community where access to healthcare is limited

Travel with purpose and help combat malnutrition and public health issues in Vanuatu. For those with backgrounds or education in nutrition, holistic care, dietetics, nursing, physiotherapy, medicine, and community health enjoy working in a team of like-minded volunteers visiting authentic villages in Vanuatu to provide health assessments and related services. You'll have guidance from a qualified in-country practitioner.

Coral Reef Marine Conservation

Located on a beautiful and secluded island in Vanuatu, help the local marine conservation team plant a coral reef. The waters of Vanuatu are warm, clean and full of sea life, however similar to various coral reefs in Australia, the coral’s are affected by climate change and other environmental issues such as pollution and over fishing. By assisting in the project, you’re helping to secure the unique biodiversity of marine life in this beautiful region of the South Pacific.

Melanie

Marine Conservation in Vanuatu Review

Fiji was such an amazing experience working in the villages with such humble, happy and beautiful people who truly valued our input an experience I’ll never forget. I would just like to also say a big thank you to Danielle, her approach to the project with such a positive and can do attitude was definitely notable, she went above and beyond to make sure we were all happy at all times. She did a great job of looking after us and her training/knowledge was highly commendable. Also Masi and Mere are absolutely fantastic hosts so very kind, nothing was ever a problem they are such beautiful people – safe to say Mere is a FANTASTIC cook too haha.
Vanuatu was also amazing! I had so much fun there and learnt a lot about marine conservation, even got a few surfs in ? Pele really was a little treasure such an incredibly beautiful place. Lynne and Willie both looked after me so well while I was there nothing was ever to much to ask. Being on my own I spent a lot of time with Lynne and the other people in the village outside of work it really became like a second home for me. Lynne looked after me so well always making sure I was taken care of and happy, very lovely lady.
So thank you again for the experience and all your help with getting me there!! Memories I’ll cherish for many years to come ?

There was a bit of miss-communications happening when I first arrived but once I settled in, it wasn't a problem anymore. It was such a wonderful experience, not much can be changed.
Sonia

Vanuatu Public Health & Nutrition Review by Sonia

Highlights of the trip:
As I have worked in Vanuatu previously I appreciated being accepted in the villages to complete the health checks. It was very special to be welcomed and see how they were so grateful for coming and teaching them things that would assist with their health and different choices that they can make.
The highlights were the Lelepa island – where we were asked to attend the home of a lady that had just passed to complete checks on the mourners. The lady had passed away from diabetes so this was very raw for them all.
To be able to be there on International Day and watch how proud they are during their celebrations with one of my old friends was pretty emotional.
Comments on the team, food and accommodation:
Carrun did an exceptional job at balancing the team as people management is one of the toughest tasks. I was one of the oldies and I snored, so I fit in well 🙂 The younger girls have not experienced the village life – let alone been away from their families before and this was an eye opener for them. It would have been good if we did experience the local food as the food mainly ranged from rice, potato, and pasta dishes. More vegies would have been awesome. The accommodation was at best a lodge, the house next door had the rooms rented out during the time we where there, so I know I still used the bathroom next door but the the other girls would not after James left the first week.
The sliding door did not lock and the back door was always unlocked for the other tenants to use the kitchen -which they did very rarely.
The drivers were great and Maryson, Madeline and Lynne were gorgeous ladies that went out of their way to assist all of us especially the younger girls to try and make their experience special

I think a little brief needs to be put together on the respect that we should show the people in their village and Vanuatu in general. The clothing was only one example of respect but also we need to appreciate that this is their village and way of life and not voice our opinions (to each other in our accommodation maybe) – but definitely not to our hosts.
I loved the experience as mentioned above and very grateful to you Lauren and Carrun for accepting me in the group. My son will be volunteering next time with me 🙂
Haidee

Public Health Vanuatu Review 2019

Thinking back to the two weeks that I spent in Vanuatu volunteering was magical and amazing. It opened up my mind much more, to see the world in greater depths as we should not always take everything for granted.

The challenges that we face in our everyday lives will always take a step backward when we see families in Vanuatu without access to clean sanitation and education as well as limited food supplies of nutritional value. Therefore, this volunteering program was extra special and made me realise that helping others doesn’t bring a sense of joy to them but ourselves too. For example, when a lady who was quite emotional and anxious about her blood glucose levels told me “god bless you” after giving her the all thumbs up news.

Even though I attempt to act as a qualified practitioner, what we can do is so meaningful and adds a little reassurance to our hearts. Throughout these two weeks, we got to measure people’s hip circumference, weight, height as well as blood pressure and blood glucose levels as a part of a free medical check-up for the villagers in Vanuatu. I initially thought that there was a blood pressure monitor provided to take their readings but as soon as we were given stethoscopes I started to freak out.

With numerous practice in our lodge, I was becoming more confident until we got to the actual village setting was a different story. I find it most challenging with background noises around as I was always used to the tranquility and laid-back environment in our lodge for practice. Even some of the children were attached to their parents so it was really difficult getting an accurate measurement from their fidgeting movements. But I think pushing ourselves out of our comfort zones and discovering new things is important as you will never predict where you can be in the future. I wanted to say this because special shout-out to Cherry who always wants me to be the best version of myself encouraged me to sign up and great memories can be made.
What amazed me was when the newborns were weighed on a supermarket scale as they lacked basic supplies. All in all the Vanuateers (amazing people who I was lucky enough to share the experience with), co-ordinators including Carrun, Meriam and Lynne (incredible mentors making our Vanuatu days much easier and co-ordinated) made it an unforgettable experience and one to never forget!

Just do it. it is so worth travelling to these beautiful places and experiencing completely new way of living. It enables you to return back home with an evolved perspective that gives you a appreciation for how lucky we really have it.
Sam

Public Health & Nutrition Review from Vanuatu

Highlights of the trip:
There were plenty of highlights, just to name a few, team building. It was a great sensation, knowing how quickly we all bonded and how the program is run. I think you did a great job managing the team and also making everyone feel comfortable. The pre-training before entering the villages was great. I enjoyed learning about the culture and a bit of Bislama! I enjoyed the fact you are open to ideas and let us (the students) come up with suggestions which you took on board.
I enjoyed exploring the markets as part of the program! The warm fuzzy feeling when people from villages wanted to make a change. I didn’t realise the lack of nutrition knowledge. I felt I grew as a person on the trip, and felt I accomplished what I wanted. I was actually disappointed that I couldn’t stay and continue to explore Fiji with the team.
Comments on the team, food and accommodation:
The accommodation was nice, I didn’t mind having cold showers! Maybe it’s a guy thing, but I wasn’t on this trip for luxury, so the fact that I had my own room was a bonus. It was an advantage being a guy in this case. The food was nice! I was happy Lynne catered for my diet, which ensured I was in top condition for the expedition.

A few improvements to make the trip more awesome. Legislation issues with the form, which Paula pointed out! Again this is out of your control but needs to be addressed. Maybe more interactive team cames, such as Pictionary or family feud. Mainly for bonding purposes. A team meeting debriefing in the morning before going to the villages would have been great. For example, knowing exactly where we were going and maybe what to expect.
It was, however, their festive season, so I know we couldn’t predict everything. A 30min question or idea building session, to bring the team together late in the afternoon would have been good. To reflect on what we noticed and what we learnt so far. Then ideas of what can be improved for the next village, for example, what can be added to the presentations, and want job everyone wants to do. I think just a bit of structure can go along way.
Ben

Marine Conservation in Vanuatu Review

Vanuatu was also amazing! I had so much fun there and learnt a lot about marine conservation, even got a few surfs in Pele really was a little treasure such an incredibly beautiful place. Lynne and Willie both looked after me so well while I was there nothing was ever to much to ask. Being on my own I spent a lot of time with Lynne and the other people in the village outside of work it really became like a second home for me. Lynne looked after me so well always making sure I was taken care of and happy, very lovely lady.

Not much to improve, the trip was amazing. Only suggestion I have is the consistency to always be providing for me was too much sometimes. For instance, Sometimes there wasn't much time to chill and have alone time when I needed it but it was barely an issue.
Thanks