NOLS Semester in Australia

This program is no longer offered. View more programs from NOLS.

Come discover the Kimberly Region of Western Australia, one of the largest and most remote wild lands in the world. On this semester you will first travel by canoe, and second with a backpack, through a subtropical habitat engulfed with unique flora and fauna. Observe rarely seen Aboriginal petroglyphs as your group explores exotic rivers and ancient land formations.

This expedition culminates with a weeklong stay in an Aboriginal community with Bardi guides, where you will spend time discovering their traditional and contemporary lifestyles.

Erin

A Life-Changing Experience!

My semester in Australia was indescribably amazing! If you are considering a NOLS course, DO IT!! It will be worth it!!!

As far as the Australia semester, the NOLS branch, staff and instructors were very helpful, knowledgeable, and fun. They answered my questions about gear and logistics ahead of time and made me feel at home on the other side of the planet. The instructors were excellent at allowing us to learn through experience and take leadership roles while making sure we were safe and taking time to teach us.
The life skills I learned during my NOLS course (leadership, navigation, decision-making, risk management, self-confidence) have been helpful throughout all areas of my life. It is not an exaggeration to say this was a life-changing experience. I learned a huge amount about myself and my interactions with others.
If you are considering a NOLS course, I would highly recommend looking at the semester-long courses. Being out in the wilderness for that length of time allows you to truly feel like the outdoors is your home. Plus, the longer course you do, the more amazing experiences you can have and the more you can learn.
Also, I would highly recommend Australia as a site for a NOLS course. We had the opportunity to travel to areas where no human had been for years, possibly ever. We were off-trail the entire time and, for the hiking and kayaking sections, we saw no signs of civilization for the entire sections. Although the wildlife is potentially more dangerous at this site (crocodiles, snakes, etc), it was empowering to learn how to exist safely in this environment. Also, Australia is BEAUTIFUL and has a wide diversity of ecosystems to explore.

Honestly, I can't think of any improvements - NOLS does a fantastic job!
Michael

Semester in Australia

The NOLS Australia branch fulfilled all of my aspects as a student. Being a new student to the outdoors, I was taught all of the skills that were necessary to traveling in the backcountry. The Instructor team worked very well as a group to provide us with canoeing and backpacking lessons which eventually lead us into those sections. The leadership curriculum taught us how to travel as a team and most importantly how to handle situations that we were unfamiliar with. My experience on this course has helped me get to where I am today and it allows me to reach upcoming personal goals.

About NOLS

NOLS is a nonprofit global wilderness school that will help you step forward boldly as a leader.

We believe that anyone can be a leader; it's our role to provide the environment and training to help you discover your full potential. We do that in...