Purposeful Gap Year Program - Discover Year

Discover Year banner during a networking event
Discover Year banner during a networking event
Discover Year Students 2019-2020
Discover Year Students 2019-2020

Discover Year is an accredited Canadian post-secondary education program that helps young adults build essential skills for their career and life. We emphasize the development of self-confidence, self-awareness, adaptability and interpersonal skills such as communication, emotional intelligence and collaboration. We integrate the following components in this one year career and leadership development certificate:

- Work
- Travel
- Community service
- Essential skills workshops
- Career and Life Coaching
- Mentorship

• Experience a structured, purposeful gap year alongside a truly amazing community of coaches, mentors and students.
  • Gain confidence and independence! Discover Year helps students with things like public speaking, leadership, collaboration and decision making.
  • Learn and develop crucial soft-skills during our weekly workshops, such as interpersonal communication, giving & receiving feedback, psychological safety, financial planning for young adults, and so much more
  • Students travel anywhere in the world during the month of February! Push yourself outside of your comfort zone to experience something new. Gain a new perspective about the world to enrich your feelings of gratitude & empathy, and to gain life experience!
  • Discover Year creates an environment of oppenness, authenticity and vulnerability, which in turn enables young adults to become the best version of themselves.

Grace

Personal Growth Like You've Never Seen It Before

I knew I wanted to apply to this program the minute I heard about it. Personally, I really liked high school and I am still very excited to go into university next year. However, I enjoyed learning about a variety of subjects which meant I had no clue what I wanted to pursue in post secondary. This program has given me the confidence I was missing to move forward in life. The skills we learn through workshops and communication in one year are some we will be able to use forever. Not to mention the advantage networking with all types of interesting professionals has given me. The environment at the Discovery Days is completely open minded, safe and fun. Every week I am surrounded by people who push me to reach my goals. If you are looking to take a gap year that will allow you to understand your strengths, weaknesses and potential, better your interpersonal skills, travel, work in a community, push yourself out of your comfort zone, I 100% recommend Discover Year.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Planning our February travel period was very nerve-racking because it is an independent travel, which means that each student can decide exactly where it is they want to go and how - and must plan it themselves. As much as the mentors are there to provide us with travel resources and support, it is very interesting to, for most of us, plan our own first trip ever!
Lukas

Life-Changing Experience!

I have seen firsthand that Jay Gosselin's Discover Year truly manages to transform any motivated and open-minded person into a more confident, charismatic, and self-aware individual. This purposeful gap-year program enables students from any background to build upon areas in their lives that interest THEM. With the ultimate goal of self-actualization, Discover Year provides students with a resourceful and supportive community, through which workshops help participants practice their job search, time management, communication, and planning skills. With designated time for work, travel, and volunteer experience, it finds itself in the upper echelon of gap-year programs due to its unique and innovative model.

In turn, Discover Year truly changed me for the better. After having spent a year comprised of learning about the working world, travelling to Vietnam and Japan, and co-managing a milk bag mattress sustainability project with my peers, I found myself to have gained invaluable work experience, global perspective, and real confidence. These things, as well as making friends and valuable connections within the DY community, have helped me to start my way on a path towards a purposeful future.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
If I could re-take my Discover Year, I would look to make more of the valuable connections that are at one's disposal when immersed in the program. That means trying to lead in-depth conversations with all mentors and panelists, in order to build stronger relationships and in order to gain further in-depth information regarding the world of careers. I would have tried to find more advanced jobs, and would have traveled to Senegal during the year with Mother and Sister. I don't regret anything that I did through Discover Year, and would just encourage people to make the most out of it.
Michael

Purposeful gap year for a purposeful life

I experienced huge personal growth in this program. I was pushed to discover what truly interested me in life, and I learned the skills needed to proactively engage in my interests. I made several connections within the community and I enjoyed being around students with similar motivation to learn and explore. The tips and tricks I was given have impacted me in every facet of my life, and I hope to continue the lifestyle I've created.

Amazing experiences too! I couldn't even plan my own birthday party before, but I organised a month-long trip to Spain and France to walk the Camino Frances pilgrimage. Not a day went by without mistakes, but I learned valuable project management experience and discovered the diverse lifestyles of travelers from around the world. Great program to help expand your comfort zone and discover new interests.

Isaac

Great gap-year program!

It's is a great program to learn about yourself and explore different career paths. In this program you meet about 100 professionals in many different domains and learn how they got there, the skills they need and use, and what they like and dislike about their professions. The staff is amazing and you will find the most open and supportive community at Discover Year. I really recommend it as a chance to immerse yourself in a fantastic environment to learn and grow during your gap year.

This is a one year program in Ottawa, Canada that incorporates skill workshops, self exploration, networking, hand on learning, personal mentorship and travel.