Sustainable Action Costa Rica

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, InterExchange has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

Hiking with the 2019 group
Hiking with the 2019 group
Wildlife sighting!
Wildlife sighting!
Take a dip in a beautiful waterfall!
Take a dip in a beautiful waterfall!
Spot some impressive local wildlife!
Spot some impressive local wildlife!

Quick facts
Eligibility: U.S. citizens 18+
Program Fee: $2,195
Dates: July 24-August 1
Included: Accommodation, most meals, site visits to local NGOs, outdoor activities including hiking, biking, swimming, and animal spotting, airport pickup, trip leaders, and more!

The award-winning Sustainable Action program is a look behind the curtain of Costa Rica’s renowned commitment to sustainability.

Is Costa Rica a fitting role model for larger nations? How did it come to be such a visible example of success in environmental conservation? Is there more to the picture than what we know of the Costa Rican success story?

The program focuses on economic, environmental, and socio-cultural aspects of sustainability. With visits to local organizations, you’ll explore key topics in sustainable development such as climate change, land conservation, wildlife protection, and access to education. Stay active along the way with hiking, swimming in waterfalls, hot springs, and more!

• Fully inclusive, 8-day in-country program
  • NGO visits and volunteer opportunities
  • Hikes, waterfalls, geothermal hot springs, and other outdoor fun
  • Experienced program leaders & 24/7 support

Wulf

A leap I am glad I took!

Whether you are a first-time, intermediate, or seasoned traveller looking for a chance to be exposed to surreal and lifechanging experiences, I encourage you to consider Interexchange's SACR program. After a month, I am still seeing new ways in which I have grown as a student, friend, and leader after the program. The biggest component to my endless bliss during the 8 day program was my endless curiosity which has stayed with me to this day. It is a true expedition for both the adventurous as well as those wanting to try that side of themselves out!

Response from InterExchange

Thanks so much for the review, and for joining us on the program this January Wulf. Wouldn't have been the same without ya! Hope we have the chance to support you on another program in the future.

Laura

Excellent Experience!

I had an amazing time during this program and learned so much from the guides, James and Pedro, and our driver, Edgar! Every day, we visited new local businesses and met new people which made this a truly life-changing cultural immersion, even if it was only for 8 days. I wasn't able to fit a study-abroad program into my time at university and this proved to be the perfect compromise. The group I went with was absolutely lovely and made the whole week that much better. Everyone was friendly and willing to try new things which allowed us all to get that much more out of the program. Overall, this was an excellent experience that I would highly recommend to anyone who wants to learn more about conservation and sustainability while experiencing a different culture!

Response from InterExchange

Thank you so much Laura! It's important to us that the program was enriching despite its short duration and we appreciate your comments. Was a pleasure to have you on the program and wish you all the best!

Savannah

So much fun!

This program was amazing! I learned so much about local communities and the initiatives they are taking to help the environment. It was truly inspiring. The landscape is so beautiful and the people even more so! The food was delicious as well and accommodating for any allergies or preferences (my group had someone that was gluten free, someone vegan, and two vegetarians and we all ate really good)! James and Pedro were also so supportive and led us fearlessly! You are able to meet amazing people from around the United States that have the same interests as you and that was one of the best parts, (it was hard saying goodbye). I recommend this program 100%!!

Response from InterExchange

Thanks Savannah! Glad it was fun and you learned a lot. That's what we were hoping for! Appreciate your review.

CristiAna

Life changing experience!

This was one of the best decisions of my life! The trip had such an amazing blend of education and adventure, I would 10/10 recommended to anyone considering it! Our leaders James and Pedro were so great and caring! The places we visited were very unique also! I am a vegetarian and I felt very accommodated, and the housing was safe and comfortable. I loved this program so much I even stayed after and explored Costa Rica more with my mom. I would definitely do this again if given the opportunity! Great experience overall :)

Response from InterExchange

So glad you loved the program CristiAna! And great that you got to travel afterwards. It was great to have you with the group. Fun trip!!