ARCC Gap: Pacific Islands Gap Semester in Fiji, Sumatra & Bali

Travel to and immerse yourself in the island lifestyles of Fiji, Sumatra & Bali. Discover the Fijian lifestyle and be welcomed into the community by the local village chief. Deliver lessons to eager Fijian children and gain insight into primary education. Explore health care on some of Fiji's remote islands by visiting nursing stations and clinics.

Get your SCUBA certification in the pristine waters off Beqa Island. Trek deep into the Sumatran rainforest in search of the critically endangered Sumatran Orangutan. Help villages survive drought-like conditions between rainy seasons by building clean water systems. Study a Balinese food non-profit and witness how a community in need partnered with a small business to achieve great success. Learn to surf on Bali's legendary waves and more on this 90-day service and adventure Gap Semester.

• Teach English in a Fijian Primary School While Living in a Traditional Bure
  • Raft Through the Rainforest and Cool Off in Waterfalls in Sumatra’s Bukit Lawang
  • Learn About Island Life and Coffee Farming Through a Homestay at Lake Toba
  • Track Orangutans Alongside Rangers and Conservationists in Sumatra
  • Become SCUBA Certified Off Fiji’s Beqa Island

Grace

ARCC PIGS

I think a large part of how much I enjoyed this program was because of the people. Not only were my trip leaders incredible human beings who I am fortunate enough to look up to and even call friends, but ARCC also does an excellent job selecting local leaders and families for home stays. Every house I lived in, I felt so loved and welcome. I have done travel programs in the summer with different companies, but I did not feel nearly as immersed in the community then as I did on this trip. It was the first time this trip ran as a Gap Semester, so there were still some kinks being worked out while we were on the trip. Even though things did not always go exactly as planned, I would not change how I spent my semester nor would I hesitate to recommend this program to anyone interested in a truly life changing experience filled with immersion, adventure, and service learning.

About ARCC Programs

ARCC has been offering programs for young adults since 1983. ARCC Gap Semesters are an opportunity to live and learn in some of the greatest classrooms on earth. Our semester programs take students on a journey of discovery of local peoples, places,...