ARCC Gap: Pacific Islands - Fiji, Sumatra & Bali

ARCC Gap - Pacific Islands Gap Semester - Image: Hanging Orangutan
ARCC Gap - Pacific Islands Gap Semester - Image: SCUBA Diving in Fiji
ARCC Gap - Pacific Islands Gap Semester - Image: SCUBA Diving in Fiji
ARCC Gap - Pacific Islands Gap Semester

Travel to and immerse yourself in the island lifestyles of Fiji, Sumatra & Bali. Discover the Fijian lifestyle and be welcomed into the community by the local village chief. Deliver lessons to eager Fijian children and gain insight into primary education. Explore health care on some of Fiji's remote islands by visiting nursing stations and clinics.

Get your SCUBA certification in the pristine waters off Beqa Island. Trek deep into the Sumatran rainforest in search of the critically endangered Sumatran Orangutan. Help villages survive drought-like conditions between rainy seasons by building clean water systems. Study a Balinese food non-profit and witness how a community in need partnered with a small business to achieve great success. Learn to surf on Bali's legendary waves and more on this 90-day service and adventure Gap Semester.

• Teach English in a Fijian Primary School While Living in a Traditional Bure
  • Raft Through the Rainforest and Cool Off in Waterfalls in Sumatra’s Bukit Lawang
  • Learn About Island Life and Coffee Farming Through a Homestay at Lake Toba
  • Track Orangutans Alongside Rangers and Conservationists in Sumatra
  • Become SCUBA Certified Off Fiji’s Beqa Island

Emilie

Most Amazing Experience

When I decided to take a gap year, I had no idea what I was going to do. After some research and meeting some great ARCC employees, I knew this was perfect for me. While I was going through the ARCC catalogs and website, I knew I wanted to do the Pacific Islands trip. Thank goodness I did.
During this trip I did things that most people my age have never done. While in Fiji we stayed in an orphanage and played with the most amazing children. We also got to plant coral on the most beautiful private island! That was easily one of the most amazing experiences of my life. The Fijian people are the nicest, most caring people you will ever meet.
After 45 days in Fiji, we migrated to Sumatra, Indonesia. This was the highlight of the trip for me. We spent time planting rice on local rice farms, painting elementary schools, making coffee, and so much more. One of the most exciting things we did was tracking orangutans. We saw about ten in total. At lunch one day during the tracking, an orangutan came so close to us. There was a mama and a baby swinging on vines about five feet away from us!! The baby was so cute and tiny. He was even sticking his tongue out. It was incredible.
Once we were done in Sumatra, we traveled to another Indonesian island, Bali. This island had the most beautiful beaches. We started this trip off with a Student Planned Module which couldn’t have gone better. We spent weeks researching all the cool things in Bali that we wanted to do. Our group managed to do almost everything that we wanted. Once that was over, we spent two weeks in an East Bali Immersion program. It was amazing. Here we spent time working in a local cashew factory, while also working in a Preschool. Those kids were the sweetest. After that, we had the chance to explore the city of Ubud. Once we were done spending all our money, we spent our last few days surfing in Uluwatu.
During this trip I got pushed out of my comfort zone and got to experience more than most people my age. I don’t know one other person that could say they got to trek through the highlands of Fiji or scuba dive with sting rays in Bali.
In the beginning I was very hesitant. I have never been away from my parents for more than 2 weeks. I have also never been camping before, or even on a hike! As out of shape and unexperienced I was, I loved every second of it.
Thank you ARCC for giving me some of the best months of my life.

What was your funniest moment?
The funniest moment of this trip would have to be during one of the homestays in Sumatra. I was roomed with one of my very close friends on the trip.
One night she had to go to the bathroom really badly so she got up and walked to the bathroom. About two minutes later she comes back into our room and wakes me up to tell me she thinks she saw a headless chicken in the bathroom area. She then stated that she could hold it in and wait till tomorrow to go. Around five minutes later, she then tells me that she definitely cannot hold it. She saw a trash bag and decided to pee in that. Little did she know, she was missing the trash bag the whole entire time and was peeing on our ground. One she realized what was happening, she grabbed a bunch of wet wipes and tried cleaning it up. It was easily the funniest thing I have ever seen.
Grace

ARCC PIGS

I think a large part of how much I enjoyed this program was because of the people. Not only were my trip leaders incredible human beings who I am fortunate enough to look up to and even call friends, but ARCC also does an excellent job selecting local leaders and families for home stays. Every house I lived in, I felt so loved and welcome. I have done travel programs in the summer with different companies, but I did not feel nearly as immersed in the community then as I did on this trip. It was the first time this trip ran as a Gap Semester, so there were still some kinks being worked out while we were on the trip. Even though things did not always go exactly as planned, I would not change how I spent my semester nor would I hesitate to recommend this program to anyone interested in a truly life changing experience filled with immersion, adventure, and service learning.

About ARCC Programs

ARCC has been offering programs for young adults since 1983. ARCC Gap Semesters are an opportunity to live and learn in some of the greatest classrooms on earth. Our semester programs take students on a journey of discovery of local peoples, places,...