Learn Spanish & Adventure in Guatemala & El Salvador

Age
18 - 99 years
20 travelers saved this program

About This Program

Guatemala’s ‘must visit’ destination Antigua is a place of rare beauty, major historical significance, vibrant culture and a global hot spot. The third Sunday of each month our program starts in Antigua. Week one is a homestay experience learning Spanish and enjoying this amazing city while during the second week we explore the picturesque Mayan villages and culture along the shores of Atitlan Lake and do an amazing overnight hike up Acatenango volcano.

The first Sunday of each month our program moves down to Monterrico, a beautiful Pacific beachside location 80km south of Antigua with important sea turtle nesting grounds and a super friendly local community. For our final week we hop on chicken buses for an overland expedition to neighbouring El Salvador, exploring the beautiful ‘Ruta de las Flores’, Santa Ana volcano and finishing up on El Tunco beach; the best surf spot in El Salvador.

Book all four weeks or two weeks only for a '2 week' Learn Spanish & Adventure program.

• Adventure travel and cultural immersion in Guatemala & El Salvador - option to spend 2 weeks in/around Antigua, 2 weeks Monterrico/El Salvador or combine into four weeks starting Antigua and finishing El Tunco (next to San Salvador airport).
  • A busy program including accommodation, meals, Spanish lessons, adventure activities including hiking volcanoes, community volunteering, internal transfers and 24/7 program support.
  • Activities include overnight hike Acatenango volcano, multi logistic exploration of picturesque villages around Atitlan lake, quality time right on the beach in Monterrico, exploration Ruta de las Flores including majestic waterfalls and hiking Santa Ana
  • Homestay with a Guatemalan family, hike volcanoes, community volunteering in a Pacific beachside location, Spanish lessons, surfing and much more!
  • Turbo charge your Spanish with intensive lessons during weeks 1 & 3 - tailored to all levels - plus meaningful interactions with local people.

During weeks 1 & 3 each day Monday to Friday we have 3 hours intensive Spanish lessons (3 x 45 mins with 15 minute breaks between lessons) AND 3 hours volunteering. Volunteering tasks are varied and we enlist junior school pupils in many of our projects – many hands make light work! Part of our objective/legacy is to ensure that today’s kids become model citizens enjoying and respecting the local environment including wildlife to be found in the nearby Mangrove forest, and sea life including turtles that nest here.

During weeks 2 & 4 we enjoy exciting road trips to explore inland Guatemala and El Salvador; active volcanoes and ancient Mayan culture in Antigua, and steaming jungles and waterfalls in El Salvador.

We also enjoy welcome caminos to familiarise ourselves with the neighbourhood. This includes practical stuff such as where the bank is and good cafes etc and also includes introductions to local lifeguards to cover water safety and the do’s and don’ts of beach safety and etiquette. The breakers are quite heavy here and we have to be very careful and fully aware before entering the water.

What's Included
Airfare
Airport Transfers
Travel Insurance
Visa
What's Not Included (Extra)

Private airport transfer from Guatemala to Antigua homestay USD 40
Cost of extra night – accommodation & breakfast USD 30

Your base in Monterrico is El Delfin Hotel – a cool backpacker hostel right on the beach with hammocks, swimming pool and lots of toys (including wifi!) to help you relax and unwind during your free time. The program is quite busy but there is still free time to enjoy a great social life and participate in the many other activities you can enjoy here.

NOTE : though program start date is Sunday you are welcome to arrive early and pay for extra nights bed & breakfast. We are open 365 days a year!

Fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, tortillas and plantains for breakfast served beachside while staying at the El Delfin Hotel.

Hosted by Monterrico Adventure

Guatemala – frankly it’s a winner. Spanning the centre of central America with a foot in both the Caribbean and Pacific seas, it has a string of majestic volcanos running through its core, highlands, mangrove forests, glorious white sandy beaches...

Tim Poullain Patterson

4 Weeks
$1560 USD

Alex

Unforgettable Memories

I was traveling with one of my friend when I met Gabriel, Lily and Hanne, in Monterrico. They informed me of the Monterrico adventure program which I found pretty interesting. You learn Spanish, volonteer and travel all in the same trip, how perfect is this? I participated in one of their english class and found it was nice to see that you can make a difference in those kids' learning. I was sitting in back of the class watching Lily and Hanne teach and I felt like going up there and teaching as well. The kids were so captivated it was lovely to see. Afterwards, they play games with the kids and I participated and had a lot of fun, the experience is rewarding not only for you but, for those kids too.
We met again in the hostal «Free Cerveza» during their adventure week and I basically jumped in and followed them all week. Everything is well organized, you always have something to do and if you feel like relaxing you may. We got to visit St Marcos and St Pedros which are small villages around the Lake Atitlan. We took a swim in the lake, did some Yoga. Everything was perfect. Then Gabriel offered me to live the Volcano Acatenango experience with them. He took care of everything for me, I had nothing to worry about. A 2 days tour leaving from Antigua. It wasn't the first time he was doing the trek so he told us exactly what to bring to be prepared.
I wasn't a part of the whole program but from what I accomplished and heard, I recommend the Monterrico Program for people who want to live a memorable and rewarding adventure. You get to meet tourists, be around locals and learn a lot about the country. One love Guatemala !!

Hanne

Great fun, valuable volunteering and varied program

I was looking for a program that combined Spanish classes, volunteering and travelling and Monterrico Adventure does exactly that. It's a great mix between the three and there`s still plenty of time to relax and enjoy the beach. I volunteered for English classes, beach clean ups and education about the importance of taking care of the environment. I really felt like it was valuable work and made a difference. Gabriel (the operation manager) really did his best to make my experience amazing. He puts his heart and soul in the program and his passion and enthousiasm are very contageous.

Monterrico is a great little town that has everything you need but still has the charm and authenticity of a local village. During my stay I got to meet and hang out with lots of locals which greatly helped my Spanish improve. There are also many other tourists in the hotel where you stay so lots of opportunities to make friends. I got so close with some of them that we ended up continuing our travels together.

The adventure weeks were we went travelling in Guatemala and El Salvador were also amazing. The program is very varied so we got to see and do lots of great things. I especially loved lake Atitlan and the waterfall hike in EL Salvador.

Overall i`d definitely recommend Monterrico Adventure if you're looking for a great mix of Spanish, fun and volunteering.

Leanne

Guatemala experience

Montericco adventure’s volunteer, learn Spanish and adventure program is something I would really recommend to all. It provides the perfect mix of a structured program with free time to explore the areas you are visiting. I’m my personal case I had a limited amount of time for a sabbatical from work and I feel choosing the 6 week program worked well as there was lots of time to really experience the places I was staying and integrate myself into the culture without feeling that there was too much down time.

The weeks spent in Montericco were wonderful. I got to meet lots of local who always friendly and welcoming. Although I think the volunteering organization needs some work and consistency, it didn’t impact my overall experience negatively. I worked with the staff of a local hotel and also the children of a local school in teaching English and beach clean ups. Both groups really enjoyed the classes prepared and you could see progress with both. It was very rewarding. In addition to volunteering, I was taking Spanish classes everyday in the local school. Giovanni our Teacher was very parient and warm. He guided us to a level of communication in Spanish that we could really use with locals and other Spanish speakers. His classes were communicative and easy to follow as he guided us through the grammar and sentence structures of Spanish.

The adventure weeks in and around Antigua and the lake and also in El Salvador were very well organized and included, I feel, some of the best attractions to see in both. The accommodation along the way was very fitting for the style of traveling so we got to meet other people as well as relax and party in the evenings, depending! The activities included were also very well organized with vendors I found to be very professional and were passionate about introducing their cultures and areas to others. The highlight of the adventure weeks for me was the Acatenango hike. It was incredible and run by a really great organization whose care for the local community was admirable. The little high fives at each rest stop, the roasting of marshmallows on the top and the constant smile that never left the guides faces for the entire 24+hours we were with them made this Activity unforgettable for me!

Overall, I really loved my experience and everything involved. Monterrico Adventure shows a passion for environmental conservation and education with a wonderful touch of adventure. It’s an all round program suitable for people from all walks of life and reasons for travel!