Embrace the ¡Buena Onda! of Monterrico – a hammock swinging coastal village on Guatemala’s best ocean beach.
The setting of Monterrico is one of the finest on the Pacific coast, with the scenery reduced to its basic elements: a strip sand, a line of powerful surf, a huge ocean and an enormous curving horizon. We are based right on the beach in a cool backpacker hostel with amenities including wifi, swimming pool and beach volleyball.
- Pacific beachside location staying at a cool backpacker hostel right on the beach - breakfast & lunch included - with wifi, swimming pool and beach volleyball
- Turbo charge your Spanish with intensive lessons for beginner, intermediate & advanced (15 hours per week during weeks 1 & 3)
- Meaningful community based & environmental volunteering projects - including sea turtles!
- Adventure week in/around Antigua including overnight hike Acatenango volcano and multi logistic exploration of Lago Atitlan to learn about Mayan culture during 2nd week of the month
- Adventure week to El Salvador exploring jungles & waterfalls of 'Ruta de las Flores' plus 2 nights on the best surf destination in the country, El Tunco beach during 4th week of the month
What to Expect
During weeks 1 & 3 each day Monday to Friday we have 3 hours intensive Spanish lessons (3 x 45 mins with 15 minute breaks between lessons) AND 3 hours volunteering. Volunteering tasks are varied and we enlist junior school pupils in many of our projects – many hands make light work! Part of our objective/legacy is to ensure that today’s kids become model citizens enjoying and respecting the local environment including wildlife to be found in the nearby Mangrove forest, and sea life including turtles that nest here.
During weeks 2 & 4 we enjoy exciting road trips to explore inland Guatemala and El Salvador; active volcanoes and ancient Mayan culture in Antigua, and steaming jungles and waterfalls in El Salvador.
We also enjoy welcome caminos to familiarise ourselves with the neighbourhood. This includes practical stuff such as where the bank is and good cafes etc and also includes introductions to local lifeguards to cover water safety and the do’s and don’ts of beach safety and etiquette. The breakers are quite heavy here and we have to be very careful and fully aware before entering the water.
The local community include many devout evangelicals and so we take a little time to explore the area and understand the community who live here, the importance of tourism and other commercial activities such as fishing (including commercial trade in turtle eggs – still legal but regulated in Guatemala). During the weekends we have one ½ day volunteering activity, keeping the local kids (and ourselves) busy with some fun activities!
- 15 intensive Spanish lessons
- Volunteer activities
- Roadtrips (inland Guatemala & El Salvador) plus other activities
What's Not Included
- Travel insurance
Housing & Meals
Your base in Monterrico is El Delfin Hotel – a cool backpacker hostel right on the beach with hammocks, swimming pool and lots of toys (including wifi!) to help you relax and unwind during your free time. The program is quite busy but there is still free time to enjoy a great social life and participate in the many other activities you can enjoy here.
NOTE : though program start date is Sunday you are welcome to arrive early and pay for extra nights bed & breakfast. We are open 365 days a year!
Fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, tortillas and plantains for breakfast served beachside while staying at the El Delfin Hotel.