Guatemala’s ‘must visit’ destination Antigua is a place of rare beauty, major historical significance, vibrant culture and a global hot spot. The third Sunday of each month our program starts in Antigua. Week one is a homestay experience learning Spanish and enjoying this amazing city while during the second week we explore the picturesque Mayan villages and culture along the shores of Atitlan Lake and do an amazing overnight hike up Acatenango volcano.
The first Sunday of each month our program moves down to Monterrico, a beautiful Pacific beachside location 80km south of Antigua with important sea turtle nesting grounds and a super friendly local community. For our final week we hop on chicken buses for an overland expedition to neighbouring El Salvador, exploring the beautiful ‘Ruta de las Flores’, Santa Ana volcano and finishing up on El Tunco beach; the best surf spot in El Salvador.
Book all four weeks or two weeks only for a '2 week' Learn Spanish & Adventure program.
- Adventure travel and cultural immersion in Guatemala & El Salvador - option to spend 2 weeks in/around Antigua, 2 weeks Monterrico/El Salvador or combine into four weeks starting Antigua and finishing El Tunco (next to San Salvador airport).
- A busy program including accommodation, meals, Spanish lessons, adventure activities including hiking volcanoes, community volunteering, internal transfers and 24/7 program support.
- Activities include overnight hike Acatenango volcano, multi logistic exploration of picturesque villages around Atitlan lake, quality time right on the beach in Monterrico, exploration Ruta de las Flores including majestic waterfalls and hiking Santa Ana
- Homestay with a Guatemalan family, hike volcanoes, community volunteering in a Pacific beachside location, Spanish lessons, surfing and much more!
- Turbo charge your Spanish with intensive lessons during weeks 1 & 3 - tailored to all levels - plus meaningful interactions with local people.
What to Expect
During weeks 1 & 3 each day Monday to Friday we have 3 hours intensive Spanish lessons (3 x 45 mins with 15 minute breaks between lessons) AND 3 hours volunteering. Volunteering tasks are varied and we enlist junior school pupils in many of our projects – many hands make light work! Part of our objective/legacy is to ensure that today’s kids become model citizens enjoying and respecting the local environment including wildlife to be found in the nearby Mangrove forest, and sea life including turtles that nest here.
During weeks 2 & 4 we enjoy exciting road trips to explore inland Guatemala and El Salvador; active volcanoes and ancient Mayan culture in Antigua, and steaming jungles and waterfalls in El Salvador.
We also enjoy welcome caminos to familiarise ourselves with the neighbourhood. This includes practical stuff such as where the bank is and good cafes etc and also includes introductions to local lifeguards to cover water safety and the do’s and don’ts of beach safety and etiquette. The breakers are quite heavy here and we have to be very careful and fully aware before entering the water.
Private airport transfer from Guatemala to Antigua homestay USD 40
Cost of extra night – accommodation & breakfast USD 30
Housing & Meals
Your base in Monterrico is El Delfin Hotel – a cool backpacker hostel right on the beach with hammocks, swimming pool and lots of toys (including wifi!) to help you relax and unwind during your free time. The program is quite busy but there is still free time to enjoy a great social life and participate in the many other activities you can enjoy here.
NOTE : though program start date is Sunday you are welcome to arrive early and pay for extra nights bed & breakfast. We are open 365 days a year!
Fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, tortillas and plantains for breakfast served beachside while staying at the El Delfin Hotel.