Learn Spanish & Adventure in Monterrico, Guatemala

Min. 18 years
5 travelers saved this program

Hosted by

About This Program

Embrace the ¡Buena Onda! of Monterrico – a hammock swinging coastal village on Guatemala’s best ocean beach.

The setting of Monterrico is one of the finest on the Pacific coast, with the scenery reduced to its basic elements: a strip of dead- straight sand, a line of powerful surf, a huge empty ocean and an enormous curving horizon. We are based right on the beach in a cool backpacker hostel with toys including wifi, swimming pool and beach volleyball.

• Pacific beachside location staying at a cool backpacker hostel right on the beach - breakfast & lunch included - with wifi, swimming pool and beach volleyball
  • Turbo charge your Spanish with intensive lessons for beginner, intermediate & advanced (15 hours per week during weeks 1 & 3)
  • Meaningful community based & environmental volunteering projects - including sea turtles!
  • 2nd week each month – hiking & waterfalls in ‘El Imposible’ National Park, rustic overnight in hammocks on coffee plantation, the best beach in El Salvador
  • 4th week each month – hiking active volcanoes, multi logistic exploration of Lago Atitlan to learn about Mayan culture and walking tours & free time in Antigua

During weeks 1 & 3 each day Monday to Friday we have 3 hours intensive Spanish lessons (3 x 45 mins with 15 minute breaks between lessons) AND 3 hours volunteering. Volunteering tasks are varied and we enlist junior school pupils in many of our projects – many hands make light work! Part of our objective/legacy is to ensure that today’s kids become model citizens enjoying and respecting the local environment including wildlife to be found in the nearby Mangrove forest, and sea life including turtles that nest here.

During weeks 2 & 4 we enjoy exciting road trips to explore inland Guatemala and El Salvador; active volcanoes and ancient Mayan culture in Antigua, and steaming jungles and waterfalls in El Salvador.

We also enjoy welcome caminos to familiarise ourselves with the neighbourhood. This includes practical stuff such as where the bank is and good cafes etc and also includes introductions to local lifeguards to cover water safety and the do’s and don’ts of beach safety and etiquette. The breakers are quite heavy here and we have to be very careful and fully aware before entering the water.

The local community include many devout evangelicals and so we take a little time to explore the area and understand the community who live here, the importance of tourism and other commercial activities such as fishing (including commercial trade in turtle eggs – still legal but regulated in Guatemala). During the weekends we have one ½ day volunteering activity, keeping the local kids (and ourselves) busy with some fun activities!

What's Included
  • Accommodation
  • 15 intensive Spanish lessons
  • Volunteer activities
  • Roadtrips (inland Guatemala & El Salvador) plus other activities
What's Not Included
  • Travel insurance
  • Flights

Your base in Monterrico is El Delfin Hotel – a cool backpacker hostel right on the beach with hammocks, swimming pool and lots of toys (including wifi!) to help you relax and unwind during your free time. The program is quite busy but there is still free time to enjoy a great social life and participate in the many other activities you can enjoy here.

NOTE : though program start date is Sunday you are welcome to arrive early and pay for extra nights bed & breakfast. We are open 365 days a year!

Meals

Fresh fruits, scrambled eggs, tortillas and plantains for breakfast served beachside while staying at the El Delfin Hotel.

Pricing and Availability

Hanne

Great fun, valuable volunteering and varied program

I was looking for a program that combined Spanish classes, volunteering and travelling and Monterrico Adventure does exactly that. It's a great mix between the three and there`s still plenty of time to relax and enjoy the beach. I volunteered for English classes, beach clean ups and education about the importance of taking care of the environment. I really felt like it was valuable work and made a difference. Gabriel (the operation manager) really did his best to make my experience amazing. He puts his heart and soul in the program and his passion and enthousiasm are very contageous.

Monterrico is a great little town that has everything you need but still has the charm and authenticity of a local village. During my stay I got to meet and hang out with lots of locals which greatly helped my Spanish improve. There are also many other tourists in the hotel where you stay so lots of opportunities to make friends. I got so close with some of them that we ended up continuing our travels together.

The adventure weeks were we went travelling in Guatemala and El Salvador were also amazing. The program is very varied so we got to see and do lots of great things. I especially loved lake Atitlan and the waterfall hike in EL Salvador.

Overall i`d definitely recommend Monterrico Adventure if you're looking for a great mix of Spanish, fun and volunteering.

Leanne

Guatemala experience

Montericco adventure’s volunteer, learn Spanish and adventure program is something I would really recommend to all. It provides the perfect mix of a structured program with free time to explore the areas you are visiting. I’m my personal case I had a limited amount of time for a sabbatical from work and I feel choosing the 6 week program worked well as there was lots of time to really experience the places I was staying and integrate myself into the culture without feeling that there was too much down time.

The weeks spent in Montericco were wonderful. I got to meet lots of local who always friendly and welcoming. Although I think the volunteering organization needs some work and consistency, it didn’t impact my overall experience negatively. I worked with the staff of a local hotel and also the children of a local school in teaching English and beach clean ups. Both groups really enjoyed the classes prepared and you could see progress with both. It was very rewarding. In addition to volunteering, I was taking Spanish classes everyday in the local school. Giovanni our Teacher was very parient and warm. He guided us to a level of communication in Spanish that we could really use with locals and other Spanish speakers. His classes were communicative and easy to follow as he guided us through the grammar and sentence structures of Spanish.

The adventure weeks in and around Antigua and the lake and also in El Salvador were very well organized and included, I feel, some of the best attractions to see in both. The accommodation along the way was very fitting for the style of traveling so we got to meet other people as well as relax and party in the evenings, depending! The activities included were also very well organized with vendors I found to be very professional and were passionate about introducing their cultures and areas to others. The highlight of the adventure weeks for me was the Acatenango hike. It was incredible and run by a really great organization whose care for the local community was admirable. The little high fives at each rest stop, the roasting of marshmallows on the top and the constant smile that never left the guides faces for the entire 24+hours we were with them made this Activity unforgettable for me!

Overall, I really loved my experience and everything involved. Monterrico Adventure shows a passion for environmental conservation and education with a wonderful touch of adventure. It’s an all round program suitable for people from all walks of life and reasons for travel!