View Other Details
Spend your gap semester in Italy & Greece! Our Italy & Greece semester is designed to open your eyes to the realities of climate change while also learning about and exploring the proactive and life-affirming ways that we can overcome our current and future environmental challenges.
The semester begins in Bologna, Italy where you will have a chance to begin studying Italian and explore local cultural sites. You'll then head to the countryside to participate in the annual grape harvest and work with a community that is reclaiming abandoned orchards and vineyards in an effort to revitalize land-based community agriculture. Spend a week or two in Matera, Italy and then you will have an opportunity to participate in a 5-day safari in Abruzzo National Park before taking the ferry to Greece. In Greece you will have the opportunity to practice your language skills, partner with an eco-center to learn more about the concert of "re-greening" and then spend your final week exploring Crete!
- Program orientation in Bologna, Italy: begin your language study, prepare for the semester ahead and explore local cultural sites
- Sustainable agriculture and grape harvesting in Antella, Italy: help with the annual grape harvest, learn about Italian cooking and meet local environmental activists
- Engage in a 5-day, fully guided wildlife safari in stunning Abruzzo National Park.
- Greek language and culture study in Athens, Greece: Begin studying Greek and visit local cultural sites
- Exploration of Crete and other Greek islands: snorkel at Mochlos, island hop and head back to Athens to fly home!