Home to over 153 ethnic minority groups, the Thai-Myanmar border is a melting pot of spiritual and cultural diversity. Students on this semester program explore themes related to human migration, spiritual resilience, and cultural preservation. Volunteer at a Buddhist monastic school, meet with international development experts, explore issues of migration and human rights, and immerse yourself in meditation practices.
- Comprehensive examination of international development issues, complexities of globalization, effects of modernization on traditional livelihoods, minority status and cultural preservation, creative grassroots solutions to global problems.
- Stay in Buddhist and Animist communities. Meditation Study.
- 3-4 day trek in Shan State, 3-4 day trek in Kayah State. Stay with local rural communities while trekking in Shan state and the Mandalay state dry zone.
- Partner with Myanmar's largest Monastic school, learn adobe building, rural development projects, education and literacy NGOs.
- Learn basic Burmese language.