Pacific Discovery | Peru Summer Program

Follow in the footprints of great explorers on this incredible 4-week journey immersing yourself in Peru’s spectacular cultural, social and environmental diversity. Join us and hike an Inca jungle trail to Machu Picchu; complete a Spanish-language and homestay week in Cusco; go on expedition in the bio-diverse Amazon Rainforest as we explore Manu Wildlife Reserve; get involved in a rewarding service learning project and community stay on the edge of Lake Titicaca. We'll all wander the ancient plazas and markets of Cusco and Arequipa, visit mysterious Nazca, sand-board the dunes at Huacachina, and head off-shore to the Ballestas Islands.

This program can be combined with the Ecuador and Galapagos Summer Program for an incredible 2 month summer program experience in Latin America.

This educational travel summer program is suitable for high school graduates, gap year students, college students and graduates, ideally 18-24 years.

Brandon

Time of my life!

As being part Peruvian, I was looking to explore this country in a way I could see the multiple aspects that it offered. I have no regrets of picking Pacific Discovery! We explored multiple areas throughout Peru; such as Lima, Cusco, Machu Picchu, Lake Titicaca, Apurimac River, Colca Canyon, Arequipa, Huacachina, Ballestas Islands, and many more. Additionally, we mountain biked, hiked, white water rafted, witnessed many sceneries, sand boarded, rode in a dune buggy, sail boated, and the list could keep going. Peru is definitely a beautiful country and there is no other way of exploring the country than through Pacific Discovery!

I would have liked to make a trip through the Amazon. One part of Peru that I will have to go back and see. No worries for future participants however, they have now added it into the program!
Kiley

Life changing experience in Peru!

My month in Peru with Pacific Discovery was the best month of my life and the most life changing for me. We started with a week of living in home stays, studying Spanish and volunteering at orphanages. This experience not only helped my Spanish but also opened my eyes to the living conditions and lives of people in Peru. The next week we started adventuring. We mountain biked down a mountain, did a multiple day hike to Machu Picchu and in the Colca Canyon, explored Cusco, Arequipa, and islands of Lake Titicaca and went sand boarding in the desert. Along the way, we experienced living conditions throughout Peru. During our Colca Canyon hike, I stayed in a mud hut with a metal roof and shared the room with two people and a goat! (He was the families pet and he would come and go as he pleased). Peru taught me so many things and changed my life so much. After my month in Peru, I changed my major from business to non-profit management. After being in Peru and experiencing life there, I realized that I want to help them and other countries in South America. Also, I became a vegetarian and a strong believer in recycling. I spent so much time near animals in Peru and many of the people I was traveling with were vegetarians too, so I decided to try it and I've never felt better. Our guide in Peru, Susan Staley was very conscious about our impact in Peru. We were advised to use the least amount of plastic possible and if we did use it, to collect it as we go. In Peru, many places didn't have recycling systems so they would just burn the plastic on the side of the road. Overall, Peru has changed me in so many ways and I could talk about it forever. I loved the trip, the people, the country, everything! I wish I could do it again!

Colca Canyon was a tough hike. But from what I heard it's already been changed! I'd say the living conditions but they really taught us about what life was like for people in poor countries. Not having running water or hot showers really toughened me up! I'd say less time at Lake Titicaca too. A week in a desolated area like there was very relaxing for a while but then got kind of boring.
Jonathan

One of the best summers of my life

I was in Peru with Pacific discovery during the summer 2014 trip and could not have had a more meaningful and inspiring trip there.I saw some of the most beautiful scenes I've ever seen in my life --whether it was a lightning storm followed by a sunrise over lake titicaca with two other daring friends I made on the trip, or going for a roller-coaster-like ride in a dune buggy and sandboarding on the massive dunes of Huacachina. I became so much more confident in myself and my ability to navigate the unknown in my life. This confidence has spilled over into other areas, and made me unique in that I came into college ready for the change while others were terrified! If I could be there again with the wonderful friends I made on the trip, it would be a dream come true. Though some of our accommodations left something to be desired, Pacific Discovery is the type of organization that really cares about its participants and their experiences on their trips, and they are always changing and improving their itineraries. Hope to go again on a different PD trip when I graduate! Do yourself a favor, grow, learn, and get your mind blown by a priceless trip to Peru!

Accommodations could have definitely been better. Some were very nice, others by necessity of being in the middle of nowhere where understandably lacking, but others could have been nicer. I know that the planning crew though got my feedback and will be improving that for the next year, don't worry! Also, I wanted to see rainforest and we didn't on our trip. But, they are now adding a week long part in Manu national park, which my spanish teacher there said has some of the deepest, most untouched rainforest in the world, so that should be amazing in future trips!
Anthony

Peruvian Adventure!

Pacific Discovery did a fantastic job at creating an overall well fleshed out experience of Peru. Our group partook in activities ranging from a week long home stay in Cuzco city with daily Spanish language lessons and orphanage volunteer project work to days-long white water rapid rafting and jungle trail trekking excursions. All places visited while in Peru were truly incredible, as we all got a glimpse of not only the modern society of Peru, but also the ancient history and influences that has granted the country with such a deep and interesting culture today. My personal favorite aspects of the trip included staying in Cuzco, as it was our hub-city of sorts (where we stayed for a week early on in the trip, as mentioned above, before heading out on our excursions and where we returned to between and after excursions), and the Inca Jungle Trail trek to Machu Picchu. It's been nearly a year since the trip and my mind still goes back to it on almost a daily basis... with that said, traveling to and experiencing Peru through Pacific Discovery was honestly life changing. I left the country with much more than pictures and memories, but with a group of incredible friends, a future wife (not kidding, you really meet some amazing people on these trips), and an adventure that I can't hope to match again in my life. If you haven't signed up already, go do it now!

Grace

Amazing Experience

This program was an incredible way to see Peru. It truly was a life-changing experience for me to travel across the country with such a fun group of people, brush up on my Spanish language skills, and learn about Peruvian history and culture. The outdoor adventure elements of the program were challenging for me but so rewarding. I loved the program and wish I could relive it!

Aly

Pretty Amazing!

This trip was an eye opener I learned so much about Peru and its culture that I am really happy that I went. I met some amazing people and I overcame challenges I never thought I'd be able to do. This trip is amazing and very inspiring and I recommend this trip whoever loves a challenge, fun and historic trip to those looking for it.

There were times that it felt rushed but that's my only complain
Trey

I could go on forever.

If I were to truly capture how amazing and life changing this trip was this review would never end. So I'll save you some time so you can go sign up ASAP! It was THE BEST month of my life. The reason I say this review could go on forever is because everything that happens in your life after the trip, you can relate it to something that happened during the trip. It is my favorite thing to talk about. If you are worried about the altitude, don't be. Just prepare well and keep telling yourself to stay healthy. I learned so much about myself and how I want to live my life. I value this experience more than anything in my life.

Me and my group members wanted to see the authentic rainforest when we were in Peru. Our trip didn't go to the northern parts of Peru. I just recently received an email that said that the trip now incorporates a rainforest visit, so I can't think of anyway to improve this program.

About Pacific Discovery

Pacific Discovery gap year, semester and summer programs are experiential education programs, suitable for high school graduates, university students and recent graduates, developed with a focus on six core components: educational travel, service...