Surfing Program

The Surfing Program is designed for all levels of surfing, whether beginner or intermediate this program caters for you.
Our long standing partnership with "The Surf Emporium" in Muizenberg provides our Gap Surfers with professional lessons with their qualified surf coaches, top quality equipment and a friendly environment to make each one feel right at home.
We have integrated private surf coaches into the program to provide the advanced surfers the opportunity the surf different breaks around Cape Town and develop their techniques on different waves.

The Gap Year Volunteers and Surfers live together in the funky Gap House, a self sustainable & eco-friendly home, situated in Fish Hoek, Cape Town. They are fully accommodated for with home-cooked meals, transported to programs, have a live-in volunteer coordinator available and on top of all that, they enjoy plenty of markets, sunsets, beaches, hikes and Cape Town discoveries over the weekends - not to mention Brass Bell karaoke

Tori

Gap Year South Africa

Great program to learn independence and cultivate life long relationships. Over communication is key with the director and other leaders. Overall it was an incredible experience. I would recommend a minimum of a two month stay for the surfing program, five weeks was too short for me personally, I was just beginning to develop a set of surfing skills and beginning to improve. I would advise to stick with one or two surf coaches when possible as they understand where you are at consistently.

More communication. More textbook surfing information would be helpful, i.e. Tides and wind direction info and history of surfing and board distinctions.
Kevin

Gap Year South Africa

Gap Year South Africa was the first time I ever traveled on my own and was an amazing experience. The program is set up so you feel comfortable and safe at all times. The owner is amazing and always there for you. As well, South Africa is a absolutely beautiful country. The simple daily train ride from Fish Hoek to Muzinberg was something I would look forward to everyday as it ran along the ocean offering a beautiful view. As well GYSA is the reason I fell in love with surfing. Since leaving I have traveled to Central America for a surf trip as well as moved to southern California. GYSA gave me the confidence to continue to travel and explore other cultures. GYSA was the best choice I could of made and will be something I remember for the rest of my life.

It was a little pricey but still absolutely worth it.
Jack

Life Changing

The time I spent with Gap Year South Africa's surfing program was an unbelievable three month adventure. I had no clue how to surf going into it, but you quickly learn and the people with GYSA and the Surf Emporium make it very easy. You quickly become immersed in the Muizenberg surf community, and by the end you feel like a local. The Cape Peninsula is such a beautiful area and there is so much to do in Cape Town, it is impossible to be bored. I had the time of my life, and am trying to find a good study abroad program in Cape Town so I can go back and do it all again. I recommend this to everyone, you simply cannot find a better study abroad program.

Nope this one is
Challum

Best time of my life!

going to GYSA was the best decision I ever made, I would definitely recommend everyone who wants to learn to surf do it with them. Everything was handled very well and the surf coaches where all really great people.

Max

amazing experience

GYSA was one of the best times of my life, and certainly the most influential. I got certified as a surf instructor and taught kids to surf, taught swimming lessons, and helped mentor a small group of guys around my age in math, English, and life skills! I met people from all around the world. My time in South Africa expanded my perspective of life and empathy towards others exponentially.

About Gap Year South Africa

We are an intimate Gap Year program that provides a platform for you to embark on your own personal journey of self-discovery, where you will learn new skills like Leadership; Independence; Initiative and creative expression.
Our Volunteer programs...