Seamester: BVI to Grenada- 80 days

Seamester: BVI to Grenada- 80 days

Discover the Caribbean as most never will. Dive among her celebrated reefs, hike along her ancient volcanoes and sail on her aquamarine waters.

Grasp lessons (and earn college credits) in oceanography, marine biology, basic seamanship and leadership--not to mention the wisdom that comes from working with shipmates from across the globe to complete your journey. Study marine biology up-close as you tag turtles at Mountain Point and complete reef check dives in Soufriere, St. Lucia. Climb to the top of the Seven Sisters waterfall in Grenada. Dive off Great Dog Island to explore the array of marine life that call a submerged airplane home.

All told, you'll explore the British Virgin Islands, the islands of Saba, St. Eustatia, The Grenadines, St. Lucia, Martinique, Dominica, Guadeloupe and The Saints, Montserrat, Antigua and St. Barts. If you want to see every facet of the Caribbean, earn accredited sailing and diving certifications as well as a full semester of college credits!

North America
Airfare
Application Fee
Deposit
12 academic credits from the University of South Florida

International Yachtmaster Training (IYT): International Crew Certificate and Navigation Master

PADI Open Water, Advanced Open Water, Rescue or Divemaster Certification

Thomas
California

An Unforgettable Experience

The 80 days I spent aboard Ocean Star have been some of the most incredible days of my life. Every day is packed full of so many amazing experiences you wonder how the next day could possibly compare to the last. And yet each time it’s just as awesome, if not more so. The people on this adventure with you will start off as strangers, but by the end of the trip they will know you better than some of your friends back home and they’ll feel like a second family. Because you’re reading these reviews, I’m guessing there’s a part of you that already wants to sign up. Stop thinking about it and do it. You won’t be disappointed. In fact, you’ll most likely remember it as one of the best decisions you made.

Ciara
Barkhamsted CT
Northwestern University

The adventure of a lifetime

I can easily say that Sea|mester has been the best experience of my life. I was hesitant about the program at first and was not sure what to expect, but if you are considering going on a trip then stop thinking about it and just do it. Throughout the 80 days that I spent on s/y Ocean Star I have seen some of the most incredible sights met some amazing people and made life long friends. It's an feeling that can only be experienced first hand, I feel that this trip has helped me learn and grow as a person. I wouldn't have traded this experience for anything.

The program is incredible the way that it is, it has surpassed all my expectations. The only thing I can recommend is for people who struggle with academics as much as I do I would have loved more help with the classes, weather that's more study time in the schedule or one on one help.

Taylor
Chicago
Saint Mary's College of California

Set Sail

Incredible sights, amazing people, treasured memories. The things I saw, learned, and experienced were priceless. Seamester is a special program that truly cares about its students. Great fun was had and the islands you visit and people you meet will be with you for the rest of your life. Would do it again in a heart beat. Sailing, diving, hiking, adventuring - this program has it all in places you will never forget with people you will call friends for a lifetime.

Aaron
MA

An adventure to remember

Seamester was truly an incredible experience. I'd recommend it to anyone looking for a classic Caribbean adventure. Life on Ocean Star is an adventure every day with sailing, hikes, diving, and more. The staff and students on my trip were amazing people; I missed them as soon as I left the boat! On Ocean Star you get to experience life at sea, from raising the sails to helming and navigating. The dive sites are amazing, as are the views from some of the highest mountains in the Lesser Antilles. While the living situation isn't exactly five-star, I got used to living out of a bunk really fast. Besides, who needs a big room when you're busy going on a new adventure every day!

Kaitlin
West Simsbury, Connecticut
Franklin & Marshall College

Best Days of My Life

Easily the best days of my life, and that's probably an understatement. Legitimately, if you're thinking about applying and you're hesitating, stop hesitating. Send in your application. If you get in, you won't have a single regret except for that moment when you're flying away and wishing you could spend more time on the ship. I went into the trip with a couple of expectations simply because I knew a girl who had been a shipmate in the past, so I'd heard her stories, but mostly I was open to anything and had few ideas about what was going to happen.
I walked onto the ship and met 19 people, little did I know they'd quickly come to feel like family. I think that's what was so unique about this program, was just how quickly I began to feel like those strangers were my best friends -- even the staff. From them and from each other I learned more on deck than I think I would have in any traditional classroom on a college campus. Coming out of this trip not only did I take four classes, but I am also an Emergency First Responder and Rescue Diver certified. I got my Navigation Master and my VHF Operator Certification. I have an International Crew Certification. Plus, I could tell you all about copepods. If that's not convincing you, then I don't know what will.
All I can say is this: apply. Put your all into your application because if you want to be there, then chances are you'll do great.

Make it longer.

Hannah
Sarasota, Florida
University of South Florida

Once In a Lifetime

Absolutely amazing is the best way to describe it. I decided to go on this trip because I had no idea what to do with my life. I was interested in marine biology and oceanography, along with everything else the program provided. The hands-on aspect of this is untouchable, along with the once in a life experiences. What other program can give you college credit with hands on experience, professors that are available 24/7 and happy to help on any occasion, all while sailing to places throughout the world you never thought you'd be able to travel to. This program tests, and strengthens you both mentally, and physically. But teaches responsibility, teamwork, and overall molds you into an independent, self sufficient individual. Definitely one of the best experiences I've ever had in my entire life. The three months I spent on Ocean Star in the Fall of 2015 was incredible. I made life long friends, and had the time of my life. If you're considering this program, there is one major factor to take into account. On board, you are the crew. you work everyday, you do chores, raise sails, drop anchors, and are ready to jump on the order of the captain. If you don't mind getting your hands dirty and challenging yourself, this is an amazing program that has no equal.

Morgana
Santa Rosa, CA
University of California- Santa Cruz

Best time of my life

I couldn't believe how much I truly loved Seamester; every tiny experience was important and interesting. I loved what we learned in classes, through exploring islands, scuba diving and snorkeling, and just from talking to everyone. The friends you make feel like a real family, and you become closer than you'd imagine... I had so much fun for my fall semester and would highly recommend to anyone even remotely considering it.

Kathleen
Washington, DC
New York University

Phenomenal

This is honestly one of the best decisions I have ever mad in my life. I'm a junior at NYU (yes they'll take credits), and I had a blast sailing, diving, and studying with this crew. I wouldn't have traded this experience for anything. The academics were exactly what you'd expect of a college course, but the hands on learning environment made them that much easier to understand and integrate into my life. The sailing passages were a definite highlight. Night sailing, especially, was nothing short of magical. I promise, you will not regret doing this, but I can't promise you won't not regret not doing this ;)

It'd be cool if we had more time to write each other our cards at the end. I always have way too much to say!

Cole
Huntersville, North Carolina
University of North Carolina- Charlotte

Life Changing

Going on this Sea|mester was the best choice I have made so far in life. I came because I didn't know what I wanted to do in life, and I wasn't quite ready to sit down in a college classroom for 4 years. I knew I loved scuba diving, and I obtained my divemaster certification on this trip. I thought sailing might be pretty cool as well. It turned out that sailing became my passion. We worked every day to make sure we were taking good care of Ocean Star so that she would keep us safe as well. It was an absolute blast. Although it was also quite serious and professional when it came to classes. We had two classes every day, either oceanography, marine biology, student leadership development,
or basic seamanship. We spent a most of our time doing class related activities or studying. Pretty much everything we did was related to our classes in some way. Sailing, diving, nature walks, guest speakers from different islands. The staff was also fantastic. They were so involved, helpful, and they were just good people. Overall, it was the most amazing experience in the world. If you are debating on going or not, just go.

I wish it was longer

lydia
Birmingham, AL
Samford University

the best!!!!

my trip with seamester was more than i had ever dreamed of -- i mean, living on boat in the caribbean for three months?! so cool. the trip itself was incredible; i loved sailing and diving and grew so much in my knowledge and confidence in both. classes were difficult at times, but always fun. i'm not a science person, but there's definitely no better place to take marine biology or oceanography than on a boat. i loved getting to meet other students and build friendships with people who i wouldn't have ever met without this trip. the friendships i made were so deep and i know i'll value them forever. the staff rocked -- i loved getting to know them and become friends with them. it's not every day that you get to hang out with your teachers (or would even want to), but i loved being with them! going on shore at all the different islands taught me so much about different cultures and i loved being a part of something bigger than myself. i loved using my phone way less than i do at home and getting to focus on other people and other cultures and learning to work as a team. seamester was a life changing experience and i'm so thankful for the opportunity i had!

a little bit more free time to spending studying -- it was hard to balance school with boat life at times

Eduardo Connor
Berkeley, CA
University of California- Berkeley

Off the Grid

I studied abroad in the BVI’s to give myself a break and meet new people to sail and scuba dive with. For 80 days I completely went off the grid and I reflected about what I want to accomplish my senior year of college. This study Abroad gave me that and much more. I went scuba diving got certified in open water and advanced. Also got a chance to sail and travel around the Caribbean learning new things. Classes were made fun and the teachers were great. I made amazing friends and I loved the experience of being away from home and experiencing the ocean.

Housing was compact.

Seamester offers unique educational voyages where students spend their time sailing between countries and continents. For more than 40 years, we have consistently delivered outstanding educational experiences for students. We design our programs to provide engaging learning experiences with real outcomes in ways that are