• South Africa

Year Round
Apartment Guesthouse
Primary Language

Pricing

Contact us today for a full breakdown of all of the associated fees associated with the VACorps Gap Year Program.
What's Included
Some Activities Airport Transfers Some Park Fees SIM cards Tour Guide Wifi
What's Included (Extra)

To learn more about everything that is included in the VACorps Gap Year experience, please email admissions@vacorps.com

Jul 01, 2022
Aug 03, 2022
16 travelers are looking at this program

The VACorps Gap Year Program is a transformative experience that will help prepare you for the world that awaits after you finish high school. You will gain real-world work experience, make new friends from all over the globe, and have the time of your life as you explore the most beautiful city in the world.

As a participant of our program, you will join a community that feels like a family. When you arrive in South Africa, we make it incredibly easy for you to adjust to life in Cape Town and call this city your home. From your very first day in the country will guide you through a comprehensive orientation that ensures you will take full advantage of every moment in South Africa.

You will immediately be networked with other participants so that you have a peer group to relate with as you quickly adapt to life in a new city you'll soon be calling home. Gap year students live together in the gap year house, which is another highlight of the VACorps Gap Year Program experience.

Program Highlights

• Gain personal and professional development through your custom internship placement at a local organization in Cape Town
  • Live abroad in one of the world’s most beautiful and adventurous cities!
  • Attend VACorps Weekly Meet-Ups and culture series and discover Cape Town's beautiful sights, attractions and culture
  • Live independently in a designated GAP year house with other like minded adventurers
  • Enjoy plenty of travel opportunities to attractions like the Garden Route, Mozambique, Kruger National Park, and Cederberg Mountains

Popular Programs

Gap Year Sustainability Internship

Make an impact, build your resume and gain valuable field experience in a professional environment during your sustainability internship in Cape Town. Intern at an organization that promotes sustainable social, economic, cultural, and environmental development. Regardless of your focus, you will gain an understanding of the challenges and triumphs of sustainability efforts in South Africa.

Film and Media Gap Year Internships in Cape Town

Gain hands-on learning opportunities during your GAP year in a culturally unique environment. Cape Town has a bustling film and media industry and is an ideal place to gain experience working within a foreign media while producing work that will help you develop your professional portfolio. If you are studying or interested in pursuing a career in film, production, media, journalism, or photography, VACorps can provide you with exciting internship options.

Gap year business or start-up internships in Cape Town

If you are interested in studying towards a business degree and are hungry for emerging market exposure, a business/start-up internship in Cape Town will provide you with an enriching professional experience. Whether you are looking for experience in a fast-paced private company or would prefer to apply your knowledge and work for an organization that helps the underprivileged, VACorps will customize an internship that will help you work towards your goals and objectives.

Refugee Internships in Cape Town

If you have an interest in human rights and social services and a desire to gain an in-depth understanding of the challenges faced by refugees and asylum seekers, then a refugee internship is a great option. You will be placed in a professional organization that is committed to improving the lives of refugees in South Africa by providing them with a wide range of social services that will assist in helping them integrate and succeed in local society.

Zach

Amazing 2 months in Cape Town

I chose Cape Town as a destination because I wanted to go somewhere vastly different than anywhere I had been before, and I succeeded. I wanted to gain experience in a field I was interested in as well as explore a new city. I did my internship at a local television station, and I loved meeting and getting to know my coworkers and learning about their lives because, often, they are so different than even how I was living in the same city. I loved directing the shows (specifically the daily show) because it is an exhilarating feeling when there is a high-pressure situation but you learn so much from it. I learned how independent I can be and how reliable of a person I can be, by taking care of myself and others during my time here. I will definitely miss the city itself the most, as it’s easy to navigate and there’s something for everyone. I stayed for 8 weeks and I think it is the perfect amount of time to stay. The Vacorps activities were awesome and the other program participants that I met were incredible, definitely some friends for life.

Mackenzie

GAP year internship in Cape Town

I chose Cape Town because I felt that it was different from any other place I had been to previously, and I was right. I learned so much just from being immersed in the culture in South Africa, and I would say that's what I loved most. I came when I was only 19, and I learned some really valuable life skills such as cooking, cleaning, and fitness during my time here as well as the importance of being social and making the most of your time in a place. I worked for the daily show at a local TV station, which meant that I got to go out on shoots many times, specifically for arts events, and they were always very fun. I think I will miss the friendliness of South Africans, and I will also miss Table Mountain. I was originally only supposed to stay for 7 weeks, but I ended up extending it to 8 because I just wasn't ready to say goodbye. I personally think that 8 weeks was the perfect amount of time. The VACorps staff, specifically Kus, Kholi, and Loyiso, were amazing, and the weekly activities were also amazing.

Drue

I absolutely loved my time in Cape Town with VACorps

I chose cape town mostly because it was a place I’ve always wanted to go. The people are friendly and the natural beauty is unbelievable. I absolutely loved my time here. I stayed for 3 Months and honestly I wish I could stay longer. It is a very easy place to fall into and live well for long periods of time. If you are staying for a long time one thing you really must do is put yourself out there to make new friends, not just with other travelers but with locals as well. It makes a huge difference having people who aren’t going to come and go. I much prefer Vac’s independent style more than constant handholding. Your days are completely yours, and if you don’t want to ever participate in activities you don’t have to (though I highly recommend it). Just one thing, if coming to cape town for a purpose of seeing a city representative of the continent, don’t be fooled. It in some ways similar but more often than not it is like a European city that just happened to be placed in Africa.

Katharine

The perfect balance between structure and independence

I chose Cape Town as a place to intern because I wanted to go somewhere international and the urban aspects of Cape Town along with having nature so close really appealed to me. The VACorps program really interested me because it was a much more independent gap semester program. After having done a semester group program this fall, I wanted to have a lot more freedom. I also love to travel and I had never been to Cape Town, let alone Africa, and I wanted to experience something completely different. The VACorps program did not disappoint, and I found it to be the perfect balance between work and play. I interned at a local school, and I loved the challenge and responsibility that the internship offered. I taught the kids alone for a lot of the internship, as my teacher was gone for 3 weeks during my time at the school. Although it was very overwhelming at times, it was nice having so much to do every day and working so closely with the kids. I also think it helped me learn how to manage stressful situations. My favorite thing about living here was how much there is to do. From coffee shops to museums, to the beach, hikes, and surfing, there was always something amazing to experience.

Emma

My GAP year internship with VACorps

I came to Cape Town because I knew it was a place where I could always be learning about different cultures, political views, public health practices, and from the experiences of others. I loved the independence that VAC offered especially for a gap year student like me who is still navigating her newfound adulthood. Every day I was pushed outside of my comfort zone, whether hiking table mountain or learning about sexual health issues at my internship. I met some of the most amazing people in Cape Town and in the VACorps program and I know I will continue to keep in contact. I also think Observatory is one of the best places to stay in Cape Town and I am so fortunate to have been able to experience all it has to offer. I definitely recommend staying for at least 8 weeks and hopefully longer if you can- I have been here for 11 weeks and still feel like I didn’t get to do everything. The weekly activities and trips such as Garden Route and Kruger also made my time here and I highly recommend doing them. I’m gonna miss Cape Town so much but I can’t wait to come back!

Jack

I wouldn't trade this experience for the world

This was truly an eye-opening experience for me. Although college gave me the opportunity to be independent, this program really gave me the opportunity to experience what life would be like beyond the bounds of a university. There was a level of freedom here that I couldn’t obtain anywhere else and after falling in love with the city and its culture, I was starstruck. There’s just no end to the activities to do here and I can safely say that I was never bored for a second. I also gained valuable insight into what I want my future to hold for me and although I don’t have a clear-cut map of it yet, this program gave me a direction, which in the end gives me faith that I will get where I need to go. I wouldn’t trade in this experience for the world

Hannah

Everything I could have asked for

I chose Cape Town to be my home for three months during my gap year due to the wide range of activities and culture that it provides (and the sunny weather was a nice bonus). I was able to meet people who I have grown to absolutely adore in my short time here, learning how to live on our own and carry out our day-to-day lives in a new environment. Cape Town had everything that I could’ve asked for in these past few months: great swimming, great people, great social scene, a great job, great weather, great everything. Since coming here, I’ve found myself learning how to love myself more and just overall becoming a happier person. I feel as though I discovered a new admiration for the people around me and realized how much I genuinely adore teaching kids. The life that I’ve lived here is the way I dream of living my life for a long time and I think that knowing that I have found a life that can make me so deeply happy has really changed me as a person. I’ll never forget skydiving with Allison and Scott in that rickety plane that we saw absolutely no safety concerns with, or when myself and Amanda for two months were fully convinced our neighbors had a pet lion (it was a dog). I’m going to miss waking up to Lila singing as she cooked chicken noodle soup for dinner, and I’m going to miss the blinds in my room that do nothing to keep the sunlight out so I ended up waking up at 8 am even if I don’t have anything until 12. I’m going to miss the place I’ve called home for the last three months, but I think I’m going to miss my friends the most because they were the ones who got me up when all I wanted to do was lay down. They were the ones who took care of me when I was sick and the ones who made me laugh so hard I think I almost had a heart attack. I came into this program anxious and blind as to how the next three months would go, and now I want more than anything to stay and never leave. So… my best advice to those who are readying themselves to come to cape town, let yourself be blind. let yourself be stunned by what this beautiful and joyous place has to offer. Do everything you can because no matter how long three months may initially seem, it will never be long enough in the end.

Allison

Unmatched personal and professional growth

I have thoroughly enjoyed my time here in Cape Town! VACorps gave me all of the resources I needed to thrive during my time in South Africa. They provided me with fantastic internship placement and created an independent environment of growth with numerous learning opportunities. As a future Public Health major, I was matched with a complimentary internship where I worked as a counselor for pregnant women and new moms, designed a resource book and compiled helpful programs for those seeking help, and worked in the Mowbray Maternity Hospital nursery and organized donations into new baby and momma bags! I transitioned from shadowing counselors to individually running counseling sessions.  Working at my internship site gave me a real introduction to public health in Cape Town, and, surrounded by such a supportive environment, I can undoubtedly say I experienced true growth in my confidence and abilities. I lived here for 3 months, and would definitely recommend staying for as long as you are able! There is so, so much to explore (especially with Cape Town's diverse geography), and you will certainly want to see everything. Some of my favorite activities have been hiking (do Lion's Head at sunrise!), surfing, trying new restaurants, exploring thrift shops, visiting Kirstenbosch, and museum touring. The 'vactivities' and Culture Series ensures you learn and see everything you can about the city! Overall, the level of growth I have experienced in this program, from within my internship, to simply learning how to live independently, has been unmatched, and I do believe my gap year would be incomplete without it.