VACorps Gap Year Program in Cape Town

SA Flag at Wine Tour
SA Flag at Wine Tour
Cape Town
Cape Town

The VACorps Gap Year Program is a transformative experience that will prepare you for the world that awaits after you finish high school. Our program will help you identify your personal goals, values, and passions and incorporate them into your career and life plan. You will gain real-world work experience, make new friends from all over the globe, and have the time of your life as you explore the most beautiful city in the world.

• Personal and Professional Development with a Tailored Internship Opportunity
  • Cultural Engagement with Local South Africans
  • Experience Living Abroad in a Foreign City
  • Cultural Immersion with VACorps Weekly Activities and a Culture Series
  • Independent Exploration with Extracurricular Travel Options

Mara

VAC gives you all the tools and options you need

When I decided to take a gap year, I was initially wonderfully overwhelmed with the amount of options that the world presented me. With each google search I discovered a new country, new possibility, and new adventure. I battled the decision between a structured program, traveling all around, or living more long term in a foreign place. When I found VAC I was immediately interested. Cape Town has been on my list of top cities to visit for quite a while. Growing up in Manhattan, I’m a city girl through and through and definitely consider that important in places I want to stay, but I love the outdoors and active adventures. All my life I had pretty much accepted the two lifestyles were mutually exclusive, except coming to Cape Town I realized I had found the exception. It provides a bustling city with numerous options, combined with dramatic and beautiful mountains, all bordering the sea. It still blows my mind that such a combination exists. The city has so much depth and culture and is home to a huge variety of people. With VAC’s help, the city is easy to navigate and easy to integrate within. There are activities every week to expose you to different facets of Cape Town living and they are encouraging of branching out and exploring all different neighborhoods and interacting with all different people. I found the transition seamless upon arrival and in no time at all I felt like I had been here forever. My internship provided me a daily routine and a place to stretch myself in a professional environment in a way I have not yet had the opportunity to do. VAC orients you thoroughly to South African culture and provides plenty of prep and knowledge on how to assimilate to whatever job you are doing. There is so much opportunity to meet amazing people and in my three months in Cape Town I have made friends I have no doubt I will keep in touch with long after my departure. The interns that come here through VAC come from all different backgrounds, but share the commonality of all loving Cape Town and seeking new friends. We are all joined easily by VAC activities and our proximity through housing in Observatory. Throughout the duration of my stay here, I struggled to find a single day when there wasn’t something I wanted to do, wether that was a braai at a neighbors house, an outdoor movie, a sunrise hike, a surf day, concerts, road trips, excursions, or just good food and good fun with amazing company. I lost appreciated the accessibility of VAC, whose office is just a short walk away at all times. Quick to respond and ready to help, I found that they put all worries about living in a totally different country at ease and provided all the support one could want. wether it is your first time traveling or you are a veteran, VAC gives you all the tools and options you need and leaves it to you to take what you chose and participate to your desired level, making it an ideal program for any aspiring intern.

Definitely reach out and be friendly because this is one of the warmest and most welcoming work environments I’ve experienced. Despite standing out a lot as a young American girl, everyone I met was so interested in getting to know me and in turn sharing their lifestyle. Also try and experience as many of the different departments as possible because one of my favorite things about the company is how interlocked and collaborative each department is and how they contribute to the mission as a whole.
Matthew

My Internship was my favourite part

Along with my journey around the world, I knew I wanted to see more diverse cultures. Coming from New York and traveling to Australia and New Zealand this past year you really get to learn a lot about the different cultures. Cape Town has its up and downs but there's always new places to see and new things to do. My internship was probably my favorite throughout my journey. From working hands-on with editing films or doing graphic design, I can truly secure what I want to do in the future. Moonsport Tv treated me like family and I thank them for that. My internship being so close, there was always time for new activities. Through Vac with the culture series and Friday excursions, you always are treated like family. Not to mention making new life long friends along the way, No matter how long or short your stay is in Cape Town you will always have a different experience. From going on the garden route trip, which I highly recommend, you truly get to experience a new side of the world. From the people here and my roommates, I've learned so much about the different cultures around the world. Everyone has a different story and it makes you want to help those who need it. In the end, this is Definity an opportunity you should take in life.

My advice to future interns is, always be ready to work. Be open to new ideas and techniques. Every day is a new day. Moonsport staff is very open and treats you like family not to mention you get lunch every day. That's unbeatable including the location. Hence all this be prepared and on time every day and show maximum effort.