Hillsong Africa Program

Hillsong Africa Program

Gap Year South Africa have teamed up with Hillsong Africa Foundation to bring about an epic Christian Outreach Program. Become part of a family of believers who share the same purpose as yourself, to serve God in various community outreach programs and building the Church.

The Hillsong and Gap Year South Africa volunteers live together in the funky and fun Gap House, a self sustainable and eco-friendly home, which is situated in Fish Hoek, Cape Town. The volunteers are fully accommodated for with 5 star home-cooked meals, transported to programs in our privately owned vehicles, have a live-in volunteer coordinator available and on top of all that, they enjoy plenty of markets, sunsets, beaches, hikes and Cape Town discoveries over their weekend excursions.

Walk away from this experience feeling fulfilled in more ways that just one, with more friends and family than you can count on your hand, and one step ahead to making those big Life decisions.

Africa » South Africa » Cape Town
Africa » South Africa
Primary Language
Chinese
Included - Food, Accommodation, Transport, Gap Year Excursions (tour and travel)
Cape Town

Aline
Germany

A wide experience

My experience with GYSA and the Hillsong Program was amazing! I spent 3 months in South Africa and it was honestly the best time in my life so far! I loved staying at the cute little house in Fish Hoek with Jessica, who is one of the most amazing people you'll ever meet! She made me feel welcome and comfortable from the first moment on. The house is a colourful mix of styles and really has its own personality. Staying there taught me how to be more independent and I learnt a lot of life skills. I really loved going on adventures with the volunteer group and learning how to surf. I think it's a great idea to stay with a local as you get a complete other insight to the country and the culture. You'll get to see some secret spots that normal tourists would not know about. It can also be quite challenging staying with people that are very different from yourself but I think it will only make you stronger and you can learn a lot from them.

Volunteering with the Hillsong Africa Foundation (HAF) taught me a lot. I grew so much in my character and also my faith that I can say I'm a different person now! Going out into the communities and getting the chance to make a difference in the peoples lives really is a great experience. The people I got to work with quickly became my family and I loved every single moment of serving on their side.

All in all I can say that I would totally recommend volunteering with HAF and staying with GYSA as it gives you an overall experience of South Africa. You don't have to worry about food, transport and accomodation; you get to see a lot and make new friends, you see life in the communities and get to help the people and you become part of a great church with a vision to build the Nation.

The volunteer house is quite far from church. Long rides every morning and evening and being stuck in traffic are normal. But the driver Leanard makes it bearable and quite fun as he always has a story to tell. For me it was just part of the experience.
As you will share a room with other volunteers you need to know that there is not a lot of privacy and that the rooms can get quite messy.

Mayo
England

Excellent

So enjoyable. Certainly a milestone in my life. Met amazing people both in the GYSA accommodation and in the Hillsong programme. Amazing staff - thank you Josh, Len for ensuring the program ran smoothly everyday. And a special thanks to Jess for going out of her way to ensure we had fun weekends!! On some weekends/weekday evenings, we had lovely picnics which gave everyone a chance to bond after a day full of activities. Other times we would go hiking (and subsequently indulge in delicious pizza). I particularly enjoyed our trip to Cape Verde.. Overall, it's difficult not to enjoy Cape Town -especially if you are the able hands of GYSA!

Rebecca
University of Cumbria

Loved every moment!!

Going to SA with GYSA was a massive step outside of my comfort zone but I really felt God calling me there. I decided that for my Gap Year I would go for 3 months as I'd never really been away from home for that long before. The team at HAF were so awesome! They really helped me grow as a person and help me to really overcome the social anxiety that i experienced. It was so great having Jess, Martha and Clive there to help me get to know my surroundings and really settle in. I felt really welcomed and really at home while I was there! GYSA has really opened my eyes to knew experiences and challenges! Thank you so much for everything that GYSA and the HAF team have done for me! I hope to come back again soon!!!!

Katja
Kronberg, Germany

Serving God & his people in one of the most beautiful places in the world

My time with GYSA and Hillsong South Africa was one of the most amazing times of my life! It's the perfect package as you can concentrate on serving God and the people/ kids in the townships, everything else is taken care of by GYSA. You live in a beautiful home, Martha our big sister and mother is taking care of the house and making the best and yummy food, Clive is taking you to all your projects and Jess is making sure you can serve in the projects that you care for, that match with your personality & interests and that your time in South Africa becomes more than you could have ever imagined. Fish Hoek is a lovely place and the house is just 5 min away from the beach. I don't even wanna start speaking about how beautiful Cape Town and the area around is - so many beautiful places to discover just at your door step. And Hillsong South Africa has become my spiritual home that I miss until this day! I have met amazing people, made friends for life, got so many hugs from sweet little South Afrian kids to last a lifetime, got to discover new parts of myself and deepen my relationship with God. What more could anyone ask for! Thanks Jess, Martha & Clive for this wonderful time - hope to see you again one day!!!

We are an intimate Gap Year program that provides a platform for you to embark on your own personal journey of self-discovery, where you will learn new skills like Leadership; Independence; Initiative and creative expression.
Our Volunteer programs are uniquely designed to be flexible and