Taking a gap year after high school, university, or from your career can be a fantastic opportunity for skills development, personal growth, and adventure. Here at African Impact, we are passionate about people stepping out and making the most of their lives. As such, we have several programs throughout Southern Africa that will enable you not only to have fun, but also to invest in your future while being immersed in a welcoming community. Whatever your chosen destination, or impact interest, we have an opportunity for sustainable involvement.
African Impact's Top Gap Year Programs
- Expedition: South Africa and Mozambique – Safari and Beach Adventure: Spend 17 days journeying through South Africa’s best game reserves and Mozambique’s tropical coastline. You will get up close and personal with some of Africa’s most iconic wildlife while giving back through conservation efforts, and then relax by the powder-white beaches and topaz waters of Tofo.
- Expedition: Kenya – Teaching, Safari and Beach Adventure: Spend 2 weeks experiencing everything Kenya has to offer while giving back through education and learning about Swahili culture. Of course, a trip to Kenya is not complete without spotting lions and elephants in the world-famous Maasai Mara National Reserve and discovering a slice of paradise at Diani Beach.
- Expedition South Africa - Discover Cape Town and the Garden Route: Experience Cape Town at its most authentic by working with local children on sustainable projects in your first week, then road-tripping down the magnificent Garden Route in your second week. This is the ultimate way to discover all this region has to offer, while learning about Apartheid, heading out on safari and ticking off your bucket list (bungee, anyone?).
- Expedition: Zambia - The Adventure Capital of Africa, Livingstone: Immerse yourself for 2 weeks in the community of Livingstone, a Zambian town close to one of the Seven Natural Wonders of the World, Victoria Falls. On the cards: eco-bricking, teaching, sports, art club, villages tours by bicycle, extreme water sports, spotting rhinos, and indulging in local cuisine. Welcome to the Adventure Capital of Africa.
- Internships in multiple destinations across Africa: Exposure to all that the African continent holds, is potentially life changing. The lessons and experiences on offer are unlike any on earth and African Impact hopes to bring you a taste of this through our longer-term internship programs.