Wildlife Experience in Kruger National Park South Africa - 12+ Projects!

COVID-19 Program Updates

Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Hamba Africa has decided to pause some of their upcoming programs temporarily and may be offering flexible booking options as well. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.

4-week wildlife placement working on conservation projects in the greater Kruger National Park. If you want to volunteer and make a real difference to Africa’s wildlife, gain new ecology and conservation skills, or just enjoy an unforgettable gap year adventure, this is the perfect travel experience for you!

• Get to the frontline of conservation – As a volunteer and or gap year traveller, you’ll play a crucial role with over 12 incredible and important conservation projects. And if you’ve got your own ideas or ambitions we can help implement them!
  • Get adventurous – During your travels, you’ll stay in new places and locations. Witness the breath-taking beauty of South Africa and its natural wonders. Plus exciting activities like mountain hikes, microlight flights and white water tubing.
  • Get helping the experts – Help vets with emergency call outs responding to injured animals, work at wildlife rehabilitation centres with orphaned animals, nursing, feeding, health checking and handling them.
  • Get involved – Work with rural communities; Improve and uplift, helping break the poverty cycle and creating more sustainable livelihoods and futures. Work with local groups to protect wildlife.
  • Get up close and personal – A life changing experience awaits. Meet Africa’s iconic and enigmatic wildlife via safari viewer and on foot as you explore the reserve you’ll be based on and the world renowned Kruger National park.

Impact

Through our wildlife volunteer placements, Hamba Africa’s goal is to actively protect and safeguard nature for future generations whilst inspiring our adventurers in the process.

The diversity and number of projects mean we can protect and have a huge impact on today’s environments. But through our ongoing research and data capture, our projects also help us better understand how tomorrow’s ecosystems will flourish.

We also work with various local groups, rehabilitation centers, endangered breeding centers, charities, and environmental experts, helping their projects and ensuring that conservation is a thriving industry. It’s vital to support and encourage local communities to take ownership of their natural habitat, and to become its guardians for their own long term security and success.

Our goal is also to invest in YOU!

As you work on your projects, you'll learn all aspects of ecology and conservation development, how projects are designed and implemented and if you've got your own ideas, your guides can help you to develop these.

We hope you will leave inspired and with new transferable skills to take away with you and apply in your academic studies or as a stepping stone into a career in conservation.

Bring a friend

Traveling alone can be daunting and its always easier and more fun with close friends.

Anyone bringing a friend.... or friends will get $150 off each persons booking with any 4 week booking.

Make sure to mention promo code "Bringafriend2020" when booking.

Popular Programs

A rhino in the bush.

Our flagship wildlife research project has been designed to monitor the movements and social behavior of white rhinos around the reserve, gaining new data on these animals for better conservation management and developing new camera trap surveying techniques.

You'll play a crucial role in installing camera traps at sites of social and behavioral importance to rhino, tracking and monitoring on foot and from a vehicle. Helping give new data with how rhinos live and thrive on the reserve.

Snake Presentation.

Team up with local wildlife centers and help handle and give presentations with wildlife ambassadors to local communities. A great way to give yourself a bit of experience with directly working with animals and perhaps fostering that inner wildlife documentarian but also great fun meeting the animals and enthusiastic locals who want to learn about their natural heritage.

A great project focused on preventing human-wildlife conflict and creating the next generation of wildlife warriors!

Small mammals in the South African bush.

Getting continuous data on the populations of wildlife big and small is essential to monitor an ecosystem's health.

During this project, you'll be monitoring the smaller animals that call the African savannas home. You'll set catch and release traps at various locations, then after a day re-retrieve them, gently handling the occupants as you record data such as species, weight, age, and health before releasing them back into the wild!

A rhino bottle feeding.

Working with vets and rehabilitation centres, you'll take part in a variety of activities which are never predictable but always exciting. This could mean helping bottle feed and provide behavioural enrichment to young and orphaned animals. Or respond to emergency call-outs to injured animals. Even health checking and feeding animals.

You'll also get a behind the scene look at a rehabilitation centre, learning and getting some hands-on experience with the running and how they operate.

Man tending to an African Rhino.

Snaring is the most common form of poaching and devastates not just animals targeted for bush meat like antelopes but also through by catch as animals like lions, wild dogs or hyena move through the reserve or attempt to scavenge from caught animals inadvertently getting caught themselves.

You'll work with the anti-poaching team to patrol the reserve on foot and look for and remove snares placed by poachers as well as other signs of poaching activity such as breaks in fences or tracks.

Michael

Experience of a lifetime

Can't fault the project! Very well organised, the whole adventure ran smoothly. Getting to see the natural beauty of the country was my personal highlight, and the wide range of activities kept us busy and always having a good time!

My guide was highly experienced, knowledgable and passionate - the most reliable person to teach you about the wildlife and natural environment out there. Getting involved with ecology and conservation work was a humbling and inspiring experience.

Big thank you to all involved and can't wait to come back again!

Go for it! It's truly a unique experience so make the most of it
Luke

My time in SA

The african wilderness is such a wonderful place and how the guide is very welcoming and you can tell is really passioante about nature.

We were able to see loads of animals, birds and other wild life. I enjoyed the information that came with the guides, as I was able understand the balance between nature and humans interactions with them.

I enjoyed ever second and learnt much from the experience. Especially from the lead guide Harry, who has put this thing together quite nicely.

Not sure, they could do with improving there info online as I wanted to find out more after the trip.
Emma

Amazing Experience! 100% Recommend

I cannot recommend this highly enough. I had the time of my life, and absolutely want to go back. It was an incredible way to see an amazing country. My guide was so knowledgable, and made it easy to get the most out of my time there. We saw so many animals I've always dreamed of seeing in the wild, and the conservation work was truly inspiring. The passion and dedication of the people I met was so special. If you are looking for a terrific way to learn more about South African wildlife (and yourself) then look no further. I learned so much and had so much fun doing it. Deciding to take this trip was one of the best decisions I've ever made.

If you did this all over again, what's one thing you would change?
I would extend my time. I saw so much, and had such a wonderful time. My only regret is that I wasn't able to see and do more.
Tom

Probably the best 10 weeks of my life ...

I went on a 10-week programme in South Africa with a group of 10, and it was honestly the best couple of months of my life. It was an amazing opportunity to see rural SA, and the animals and people who inhabit it. I learnt so much about conservation projects and SA's natural environment, largely due to the knowledge and experience of Harry and the other guides. I became incredibly close with my group, we still keep in touch 5 years later, and we all wish we could go back and experience it all again!

Don't hold back, make the most of your time in SA!
Molly

South Africa volunteering trip

A trip to South Africa was a great way to fill a gap in between school and uni however South Africa will stay with me in my heart forever, the experiences, the people and the sights. It was made even better by our guide Harry, he was very knowledgable, welcoming and talented. He made my experience 10/10 with his on going commentary of wildlife and his wealth of information. I would thoroughly recommend anyone considering this, once in a life time opportunity to have fun and help the local people!

Maybe the accommodation however I had no issues with it. It was comfortable and clean!
Jessica

South Africa is incredible!

Thank you Harry for being the most amazing guide! South Africa is the most beautiful place, I've totally fallen in love with it. We learned so much about animals, birds, even the stars! Not to mention we had the funniest time and made life long friends. Kruger national park was incredible, we were lucky enough to see a cheetah which is really rare! We went on game rides on our own back door as well, which makes it even more amazing, reminding us we were staying right in the thick of the animal's habitats. Everyone should go to Africa, it'll completely change you!

Nicholas

Knowledgeable, caring and incredibly fun guides!

I can't recommend this programme more highly. The head guide is amazing and his love and knowledge of the bush is infectious. Guaranteed you will fall deeply in love with ecology and conservation while being thoroughly entertained by sharp, witty humor. It was a privelage being shown around, while being able to get hands on with conservation - I learned so much but every step of the way was an absolute blast!
All in all, you will be doing yourself a favor by going on this tour. Ample opportunity to learn, a lot of fun and great scope for you to figure out for yourself exactly where your passion lies for you to pursue it further.