American University Gap Program

Au Gap student on the hill
Au Gap student on the hill
Excursions in DC
Excursions in DC
AU Gap student at her internship at the American Red Cross.
AU Gap student at her internship at the American Red Cross.
Students in class
Students in class
AU Gap students on a site visit to the State Department.
AU Gap students on a site visit to the State Department.
Internship at League of Women Voters
Internship at League of Women Voters
Former Gap Program students.
Former Gap Program students.
Students at kitty cafe
Students at kitty cafe

Do you want to work at a government agency, an embassy, an arts organization, a tech start-up, an environmental organization, a sports team, or a news bureau?

The AU Gap Program allows you to build your professional skill set, make contacts, and gain real-world experience through an internship. With a database of over 3,000 internship contacts at your disposal, you have the opportunity to truly explore your interests. You will receive one-on-one professional development support in creating your resume, writing cover letters, and conducting your internship search and develop skills you will use for years to come.

The AU Gap Program is an excellent option if you have just completed high school and are searching for a different experience before starting college. You will receive an AU transcript at the completion of the program which can be used in applying to colleges or for possible credit at other colleges and universities.

• Real-World Career Experience
  • D.C. is Your Classroom
  • University Resources & Academic Credit

• Program Selection 9
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 10
John

Washington, D.C. as classroom!

This review was written by a parent of a student who participated:

I cannot think of a better program for high school graduates who are looking for a meaningful experience before starting college than American University’s Gap Program. The semester-long program combined a mentored internship (my son interned at Earth Day Network) with an experiential learning-based seminar on international affairs (with a healthy dose of environmental studies), for which students earned college credit (7 credits!), set on a vibrant university campus (Gap students are integrated into AU’s residential community life) in a culturally rich and diverse city (students are provided with an unlimited-ride transit pass, costing $1 a day, to commute to internships, make site visits for the seminar, visit museums and galleries). From the initial admissions interview through the farewell assembly, it was clear that this is a well designed and well run program, for which the administrators and faculty have succeeded in defining the right mix of activities to prepare Gap students for college (and life after college!), to encourage them to bond as a cohort, and to invite them to participate in the many offerings of AU and take advantage of the countless opportunities awaiting them in Washington, D.C., indeed itself a classroom of American University.

Brooke

Life Changing Experience!

I could not be more happy I decided to take a gap year, especially in the AU program. I truly believe the year off allowed me time to reflect on my high school years, specifically how I could mature from a yippy high school student to a young professional. The program in DC allowed me a taste of both college-level classes (and environment, as we are allowed to reside on campus) and the profession I hope to work in some day. At the end of the program I was able to complete another 9-month internship during which I garnered deep professional connections and skills. Overall, I cannot imagine my life without having that experience- it opened so many doors, and my eyes to the young adult I needed to develop into to be more successful in college and my career after.

Sydney

Bridging the Gap

My decision to attend the program has become one of the best decisions of my life. I have seen myself grow in extraordinary ways- socially, professionally, and academically. I was not a shy, introverted, average student coming into this, but I knew that there were areas that I could improve and build in order to be more successful in the future. Through my internship, I gained a professional sense, learned the importance of clear communication and brevity, how to reach out to professionals, improvements to my writing, etc. In addition, every class (Mentored Field Practicum), I was so intrigued by an idea thrown out and amazed at the empathy everyone held. The class almost felt like a second home where everyone was comfortable to be themselves. I recommend this program for anyone wanting to find or confirm their passion, whatever it may be.

What was the most surprising thing you saw or did?
I walked into my internship one day and a presidential candidate was sitting in the lobby.