SEA Semester Gap Year Programs

SEA is based in the world-renowned oceanographic research village of Woods Hole, Massachusetts, on Cape Cod. Since 1971, we have educated more than 10,000 students about the global oceans through preparatory studies on shore followed by a tall ship sailing research voyage at sea.

Modeled after our Boston University accredited SEA Semester undergraduate program, SEA gap programs offer any student interested in the oceans the opportunity to study the marine environment through the disciplines of science, maritime history & culture, policy, and leadership.

Choose between an academic, credit-bearing program or an experiential not-for-credit program - either way, no sailing experience is required!

Upcoming Programs
Pacific Odyssey (Spring 2021, non-credit bearing)
Atlantic Odyssey (Fall 2021, non-credit bearing)
Ocean Exploration (Fall 2021, credit-bearing)

• Build self-confidence and self-reliance on near shore ocean voyage!
  • Develop lifelong skills in leadership, teamwork, communication, and critical thinking.
  • Conduct environmental research on marine debris and coral reefs.
  • Gain the skills needed to help address one of the defining issues of the 21st Century: human impact on the marine and coastal environment.
  • Stand out from the crowd through this experiential learning adventure!

Aileen

SEA Semester was the best decision I've ever made!

I participated in SEA Semester's Fall 2020 Gap Year program, where we spent 3 weeks on their campus in Woods Hole, MA, and then 6 weeks at sea aboard the Corwith Cramer. Learning to sail the tall ship, working on research in the lab, and getting to know and work with my 35 shipmates (24 students and 12 crew total), taught me so much about myself and helped me to grow immensely. The crew are some of the most inspiring people you will ever meet! I learned so much from the assistant scientists, the mates, and the faculty! All of them are very approachable and always want to make sure that you are having the best experience that you can. When adjusting to the environment of living on the ship, the mates and scientists make you feel very comfortable and make sure that you know that making mistakes is part of the learning process! Living at sea is one of the most special experiences: every moment is a unique adventure! No two individuals experience the exact same moments on the ship, and this makes everyone incredible assets to one another throughout the program. From this program and the special learning environment, I feel even more excited and energized to go to college for Fall 2021 and continue learning about our remarkable world! I could not be more grateful for my time with the Sea Eduaction Association, and you should absolutely consider doing a SEA Semester program!

Don't be afraid to leave your comfort zone! The SEA Semester experience is one where there are opportunities everyday to do something that you haven't done before or that feels a little bit scary, but each of these moments teaches you amazing things about yourself!