Montana Gap Programs

VISIONS Montana Gap programs provide students with an educational and professional leg up as well as a fun and fulfilling alternative to virtual classrooms. Based on a historic Montana ranch, participants will volunteer with organic farmers, earn a Wilderness First Responder certification and dig deep into sustainability issues.

Immerse yourself in the Western way of life while discovering broad perspectives and new opportunities. Connect to the land in profound ways by learning about sustainable development practices, farming and ranching, permaculture, and wilderness skills. Develop newfound interests and build a kit of skills and certifications outside of the norm. Learn about the history of the West and how the global issues and challenges of today interconnect with rural values and realities. VISIONS Gap provides a “Big Sky” view of this modern era and some natural, creative solutions for living in harmony with each other and the natural world.

• Wilderness First Responder Certificate
  • Backpacking in Montana Wilderness
  • Train in Permaculture
  • Volunteer on Sustainable Agriculture Projects
  • Learn about Land and Wildlife Conservation

Popular Programs

Greater Yellowstone Ecosystem

Explore the connections between land, wildlife, civilization and climate. Travel in the Rocky Mountain backcountry by way of foot and ski to learn about land elements, sustainability, and renewable resources. Live at a historic farm & ranch in the foothills of the Mountains and volunteer with local food producers and ranchers. Explore newfound interests, deepen your skillset, and be an important member of a community -- forging new paths forward for a sustainable world!

Fall Gap Students and their Harvested Bison

Immerse in the Western way of life and connect to the land in hands-on ways that are invigorating and fun. Get your hands dirty helping with harvest season at vibrant farms and ranches, and build a kit of skills and certifications including Wilderness First Responder. Learn how global issues such as climate change interconnect with rural life, and challenge yourself to be part of creating practical solutions alongside your new friends and program leaders.

Melissa

Montana Gap Program

I went into the Montana Roots Gap Program hoping to learn about the world around me and ways that I can contribute to give back. As it turned out, I ended up learning about sustainable practices and we focused a lot of time learning about ecosystems. It was all very interesting and inspired me to want to live better! We met a lot of guest speakers who shared their knowledge with us and we got to partake in unique activities that I otherwise would not have had the chance to! One of the best parts of the program became apparent by the end - I had met so many awesome people and became friends with the other students. We were like our own little family.

I really enjoyed the outdoor adventure components, like the backpacking trip and other hikes. Getting out to enjoy nature in responsible ways was really a highlight. We also took a course to get Wilderness First Responder and CPR certifications, which is never a bad thing to have under your belt.

This program gave me the opportunity to live life for a while in a manner that I had never experienced before. It was a challenge at first, but soon became part of my everyday routine. It was an eye opener and I couldn't be more thankful for all that I'd learned and experienced.

Sometimes things don't work out as great as we expect but it's our own responsibility to make the most of those moments. You get out of life what you put into it, and the same thing applies here. My advice is to always make the most of any situation, as there is always a light and a dark side. Focus on the light and you'll never go wrong. Be engaging!