VISIONS Peru Volunteer Program

VISIONS Peru Volunteer Program

VISIONS offers teenagers opportunities for ambitious service work and cross-cultural immersion in the United States and abroad. We work with and for intercultural communities that lack financial and other development resources. Through service, authentic experience, and active exploration, we encourage new perspectives and dynamic learning.

Participation in Peru builds upon the foundation we’ve established in and around Urubamba over the course of nearly twenty years. Urubamba was much favored by ancient Peruvians for its mild climate, fertile lands, and the Willcamayu or Sacred River.

Projects will focus on the construction of schools and irrigation systems throughout the valley. You'll also have the opportunity to spend some time with local kids who will be using the school buildings you're working on. After work, we'll visit ancient ruins, local markets, and have time for hikes and soccer with neighborhood kids while practicing our Spanish.

South America » Peru
Program Categories
Student Tour
The longer program runs from June 30 to July 24, while the shorter program runs from July 29 to August 9. Tuition includes all costs except for airfare.

Emily
Brooklyn, NY

Excellent community service program

Visions Peru was a wonderful opportunity for my teenage children and I highly recommend it to anyone who wants their teen to have a real community service experience in Latin America. What appealed to us was the fact that Visions advertised itself as "not a teen tour" and this was definitely true! The kids really worked hard and felt themselves to be part of the Urubamba community and made a real contribution in the form of an addition to a pre-school. In addition to the daily building projects, there were interesting afternoon programs that ran the gamut from pick up soccer to beekeeping to jewelry making and more. There were also lots of amazing trips in the Sacred Valley that gave them a broader sense of Peru. As a parent, I think Visions did a great job of balancing work and fun and safety and independence. The staff was young, enthusiastic, and knowledgeable about Latin America and were great role models of young people making unusual choices in their career and life paths. All in all, I have no complaints and am really glad that my children had the opportunity to participate in this valuable program.

Valerie
Wyckoff, New Jersey

The best month of my life!

The month I spent with Visions in Peru flew by in a flash. Every day was action packed and we never had nothing to do. Whether it was hiking through ruins, hiking to magnificent sights(Machu Picchu, Puto Cusi), working at los canales(the canals) or el pronoi(the preschool), participating in los talleres(workshops), or simply spending time with the great company I had with be on the trip. This experience would not have been nearly as memorable had I not had such wholesome, and multidimensional people there with me. The group dynamic I shared with the fifteen other students on the trip was incredible and amplified the memorability of my experience. However, the visions leaders on the Peru trip also played an instrumental part in ensuring everyone on the trip had the best experience possible. I remember how in the first couple of weeks following our arrival, a large number of students got sick due to the drastic change in environment. The leaders did an excellent job of quickly healing the sick, and making sure they could still fully experience the fun activities they had worked so painstakingly in the weeks prior to our arrival to organize. Additionally, the time I spent without technology was beautiful. Without technology, more interaction occurred and as a result I got to know everybody fairly quickly and form wonderful lifelong friendships. Another effect of the absence of technology, was the appreciation I was able to obtain for the beauty that surrounded me. I was in the middle of beautiful mountains, touching a sky unblemished by pollution, a sky so clear that one could so clearly see the stars every night, a sky so clear that you could see the edge of the Milky Way Galaxy, a sky so clear that if you stargazed for long enough, you were sure to be greeted by a shooting star. The poignant Peruvian sky is something that I deeply missed upon my return to New Jersey. Overall, this experience has taught me appreciation for my surroundings, the value of teamwork, leadership and has left me with unforgettable memories for me to carry with me and share with others for the rest of my life. I thank Visions from the bottom of my heart for making such an experience possible for me.

The strict curfew rules is all I would change:)

Jonah
Boulder, Colorado

Visions peru 2014

During this amazing service trip we had two projects: Building bathrooms for a school in Urubamba, and mixing concrete for agricultural canals in the nearby town of Yanahuara. Not only were the staff and participants absolutely amazing but I also learned so much about the culture and people of Peru, along with gaining a new perspective on how I can implement everything I learned into my life in the united states.

I would have like to been able to get to know the staff a little better.

Anna
New Jersey

I had a great time!

VISIONS is very clear about its goal. Community service. This is what I had really wanted to do, so I really enjoyed it. If youre not looking for intense work though, I would say that VISIONS is probably not for you. That's not to say that the days were long, hard, and I wanted to go home. The work sites were often fun. We got to know many community members and I could often see the difference we were making. After the workdays and on the weekends we would do lots of other fun things including touristy things, workshops with community members and just enjoying being in another country. By the end of the trip I had made lots of good friends and amazing memories. Also, my Spanish improved a lot!

My main issue with the program was how strict the staff were with certain rules that I believe restricted our group.

Michelle
Westport, Connecticut

Peru 2014

Visions gave me one of the most amazing summers of my life. I made so many friends and also felt as if I became a part of the community. At first I was nervous about traveling to a country so far from home for a month without knowing anyone, but I was quickly welcomed by the warm staff and friendly community members. Although the work felt labor intensive at times, all together the group was very successful in building an elementary school bathroom and 13 canals in over the span of 3 and a half weeks. The trip was a great opportunity to experience another culture and improve your spanish. But I have to say the best part of the trip was the social aspect. I met so many unique kids from all over the United States, and together we bonded and became so close in such a short period of time. Visions gave me an experience of a lifetime and I hope to do another program next summer.

The staff was a little strict with some social aspects, of feeling that some members of the trip became "too close." If I could change one thing it would be for the staff or the overall program to be a little lighter on the whole relationship between two members of the trip kind of thing.

Raquel
Japan

THE BEST SUMMER YET

I have to say that this was the MOST AMAZING summer I have ever experienced. I made great connections and relationships, created ineffable memories and had amazing experiences. Surprisingly, many of the friends I have made on this trip are closer to me than some of my friends that I have known for 12 years. I miss them so much and I cannot wait until our reunion!Although I loved shopping at the local markets, my favorite times were sitting in the courtyard, enjoying the beauty of Peru and talking in Spanish to Nico, our driver. He, as well as our cooks Neyda and Maria, Ishmael and local workers. If participants use their time wisely and practice Spanish, they will have the best experiences, like I did! We miss Peru so much that my friend and I hope to work as counselors in the future!

I would provide more time to hang out, look at the ruins and shop at the markets. Although we had a few days of free time, there is so much to do in Cuzco and Urubamba that a few days are definitely not enough!

High-quality summer programs for teens who want to accomplish challenging projects and make lasting friendships. Through service work and cross-cultural living, VISIONS offers new perspectives and deep learning while assisting under-resourced communities. Our evenings and weekends are reserved for exploration and adventure. English, Spanish and