WALI Gap Semester Programs

The Wilderness Adventures Institute (WALI) Gap Semester programs provide you with opportunities to test your foundational outdoor skills and further your capabilities as a leader. At WALI, you and your cohort will earn your Wilderness First Responder certification, the industry standard for professional guides, trip leaders, search and rescue team members, outdoor recreationalists, and international travelers. Other certifications may include CPR/First Aid, Swift Water Rescue, and more. You will perform meaningful service work alongside National Forest rangers and non-profit advocates. You will utilize your time outside of the traditional classroom setting to hone in your hard and soft skills, receive impactful leadership instruction, and build towards your capstone experience at the end of your term. With an outdoor classroom unlike any other, this is the adventure of a lifetime.

• Wilderness First Responder + CPR Certifications
  • Backcountry Canoeing, Kayaking, and Whitewater Rafting
  • Backpacking and Mountaineering
  • Leave No Trace Principles, Conservation-Focused Curriculum
  • Service Work with Non-profits, Youth, National Parks and Forests

Grace

Most amazing experience!

Going into this trip, I was very nervous about meeting everyone and what the next 67 days were going to be like. But right away the leaders made everyone feel heard and supported. As the weeks went by our group got incredibly close (definitely making it hard to leave at the end!), which made it easier for me to push myself outside my comfort zone, knowing I was supported whether I succeeding or not. I was able to gain both outdoor living skills, while also learning about Wilderness First Aid and Swift Water Rescue! Aside from those skills and certifications I obtained from this trip, I was also able to gain personal growth experiences and really become a stronger, more confident version of myself.

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
I attempted to lead climb for the first time and was very nervous. I had spent time practicing, but by the time I was tying in to do it for real, I started to get pretty shaky. One of my leaders, Will, was belaying me and he helped make sure that I felt comfortable and talked me through how everything would go, until I felt completely ready!