AFS High School Exchange in Argentina

AFS High School Exchange in Argentina

Argentina, a land of gauchos and tango, is also home to Iguazú Falls in the rainforest, glacier-topped mountains and penguin colonies. Sophisticated and lively Buenos Aires offers a variety of entertainment from the Avenida 9 de Julio—one of the widest streets in the world—to opera at the world-renowned Teatro Colón, to sipping mate (a traditional caffeinated drink) with friends. Argentina values culture, tradition, and hospitality. AFS Argentina also places students in neighboring Uruguay.

South America » Argentina
Guesthouse
Spanish

Sabra
new mexico
Union College

Argentina

My first week I was invited over to a classmate's house with some other girls, and we baked a pizza from scratch. I was excited because I knew Argentina has some pretty good pizza and was looking forward to making and trying it. We then all went out together and it was a great first experience.

Could probably be safer.

Isabelle
Berlin, Germany
Tulane University

I had never spent so long

in the middle of nowhere. I grew up in the suburbs of NYC, where everything is accessible all the time, and so I panicked when I got my family assignment and googled their town and it barely seemed to exist. There were no pictures on Google Images! But small places are the best place to do your exchange - there, you get to be special. People pay attention to you or, in my case, all know your name. So I got lucky!

The volunteers were absolutely awful - they played favorites, placed exchange students in families they already knew were bad, and did less than my amazing host family did to try to get me into the school by my house, even though there is a law in Argentina that mandates all public schools to accept exchange students within their jurisdiction.

AFS-USA (formerly the American Field Service), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a leader in intercultural learning and offers international exchange programs in more than 40 countries around the world through independent, nonprofit AFS Organizations, each with a network of volunteers, a professionally staffed office, and