AFS Study Abroad Summer Program in Argentina

AFS Study Abroad Summer Program in Argentina

Year & Semester: Skyrocket you Spanish by spending a semester in one of the southernmost countries in the world. Family plays a central role in the social structure of Argentina, and you can expect the same to be true for your own host family. Teenagers in Argentina are known for their active social lives. Friends are around so often that they are like siblings. What teenagers enjoy the most is getting together at friends’ house or in the central town square, going out to eat or to the movies. You will most likely be places in public school in the second- to- last or final year with classmates ages 16 to 17.

South America » Argentina
Program Categories
Spanish

Emma
California Polytechnic State University- San Luis Obispo

Great Experience

I lived with a host family for two months as I learned about Argentina and its culture. I feel that living with a host family is the best way possible to learn about a country, and AFS is supportive in that it does not pay host families if they take in students. This allows for a general interest in shared knowledge between cultures. Great program!

I would improve the orientation events to make them more attention grabbing and interesting for students.

Anthony
Santa Monica, California
Syracuse University

Truly Life Changing

I went to Argentina not knowing any spanish, and really having no clue of what i was getting myself into. I came in an average high school student, and came out a Castellano speaking, argentine model/rugby player with new FAMILIES around the city. I recently went back after six years, and felt more at home than anywhere I've even been! If it weren't for AFS, i wouldn't have met some of my best friends and favorite "relatives" in the world! :)

I would have more AFS representatives in the city i was in. It was a small city, and the representative that was there wasn't too responsible. However, this was a blessing, because rather than relying on him- i branched out and got into situations that i might not have otherwise. and a as result of that, i made incredible friends that i still keep in touch with till this day, who are truly like family for me. I also got exposed to other ways of life and mastered spanish because i couldnt stay in my comfort zone with the AFS rep.

Glenn
Union, Kentucky

Actual Authentic Life-Changing Experience

When you sign up for an AFS exchange program, you'll go through lots of orientations. And at every orientation, they'll tell you over and over how AFS is a life-changing experience.

After returning from a summer exchange in Argentina, I can 100% guarantee that's true. There's almost no way I can express how important this exchange was without sounding like a Hallmark card; because of my time abroad, I became more confident in myself, more culturally aware, and I've even made friends that I'm sure will last a lifetime.

I can't stress enough how amazing my time abroad was, but I think everyone should try living abroad at least once in their life.

Thank you for everything, AFS!

I treasure my time in Argentina, and I can't wait to go back. Although one of my friends who also participated in the exchange had an issue with her host family, I loved mine and still keep in contact. I think any issues with placement and adjustment are likely due to the participant's willingness to adapt- AFS did a great job!

Jay

Summer Homestay 2009

My trip to Argentina was really important to my personal development. I keep in touch with people I traveled with 6 years later and take the experiences and memories with me everywhere. My host family was great. The friends I made are incredible. I wouldn't change anything about the trip and it made me the person I am today.

Diego
Humboldt State University

AFS Argentina Experience

This was the best experience in my life. I will keep things short here, that the support was great, the family was great, the experience was once in a lifetime, and I would do it again in a heartbeat.

The visa program for entering Argentina was only different because I was from the USA. And because the USA charges people for visas at the gates upon entering the country, Argentina has begun doing this to the people from the USA. Not really that fair, but it was about $130 American Dollars, not the worst.

AFS-USA (formerly the American Field Service), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a leader in intercultural learning and offers international exchange programs in more than 40 countries around the world through independent, nonprofit AFS Organizations, each with a network of volunteers, a professionally staffed office, and