High School Study Abroad Exchange Program in Austria

study in Austria
study in Austria
Make friends in Austria studying abroad
Make friends in Austria studying abroad

Spend 2-months, a trimester, semester, or a year abroad as a high school exchange student in Austria with Greenheart Travel! Immerse yourself in the German language and culture as you attend high school classes alongside Austrian peers and live with a local host family. For those interested in music and the arts, going to the birthplace of famous classical composers is an amazing experience.

As a Greenheart Traveler, you will also be matched with a personal program manager to help with the in's and out's of the program before, during and after your travels.

Program at a Glance:
- Host family accommodation will provide a full immersion experience
- No prior German experience is required — beginners welcome!
- You can choose between trimester, semester or academic year lengths
- Straightforward online application process

• Choose a program length that fits your school schedule starting in the Fall or Spring
  • Live with a volunteer host family for full cultural immersion
  • Flight from NYC to Vienna, host family accommodations and meals included in the program fee
  • Assistance from a personal program manager before, during and after your study abroad program
  • 24-hour emergency support during your high school program in Austria

Anastasia

It's a Roller-Coaster Ride

I signed up with Greenheart Travel's high school abroad Austria program for my gap year before college-- living abroad for around ten months. Yes, I was technically with Greenheart, but I was mainly under their partner program, STS; which was a whole other mess-- but that's a story for another time. I would say overall there was decent planning on Greenheart's part. You could tell the organizers of STS obviously had it in for the money, were very disorganized, and literally did no research on any of the host families before placing the students. I also don't know how some of the families make it past the approval check, considering the amount of horror stories I've heard and experienced. Despite the poor organization skills of their counterpart, Greenheart Travel was very supportive when issues arose, and continued to have an open ear about your time abroad when I got back. I feel every program has their ups and downs for sure, since you are considered a liability when abroad with an organization. I would recommend going abroad with a youth centered program if you are used to structure and rules-- if not, I'd recommend going and studying at a university or living in your country of choice on your own.

Besides the downs of my time abroad, living abroad was an indescribably AMAZING experience. I learned so much about not only another culture, but about myself. You meet so many people from different backgrounds as yourself- exchange students and natives- with whom you'll probably keep in contact with long after your exchange is over. I would never take my experience back. In fact, it has only encouraged me to go abroad again and learn more about the world around me.

Better fit host families
Bianca

Highly recommend

Exchange is something that everyone should try out either in college, high school, or after college, doesn't matter. Lots of fun and you have no idea how many brilliant people you will meet :) choose a culture you are Interested in. As normal as this sounds, if you choose a country you are iffy with, your time is not as great as if you chose a country you adore. It's about immersing yourself into normal life elsewhere, easier to do if you're happy with the country amirite. Point being have fun, if you're not having fun, change something. Don't force yourself to do anything because it's meant for the program, do it for you and for the people you're with and love.

Better fittings for host families, try more for personality than paper.