AFS High School Study Abroad Program in Belgium

AFS High School Study Abroad Program in Belgium

This program in French-speaking Belgium will allow you to experience a magical country in the heart of Western Europe. Spend the academic year living with a host family, attending a local high school, and learning the regional language. As the home to NATO and the European Union, Belgium is proud of its culture of intellectualism and pragmatism.

Students are placed throughout Belgium. Most families are in suburban (40%) or rural (40%) areas, although urban placements are not uncommon (20%). Public transportation is well organized and safe. The country itself is very small and no matter where you are placed, you will always be within a two hour train ride from Brussels, the coast, and neighboring countries (France, Germany, the Netherlands, and Luxembourg).

Social life for teens often centers on family and a small group of friends. Belgian youth enjoy attending concerts, going to the movies or a lecture and sharing a drink or meal together.

Europe » Belgium
Program Categories
Student Tour
Adventure Travel
French

Claire
Portland State University

Beach Day

There were a couple of days in May that my school had off. So often when I had school off, I would take day trips with Belgian friends or other AFS students. That day, my host mother had asked me to go to the beach with her. Since my host family was large, it wasn't often that I had time alone with either of my host parents. It meant a lot to me that she wanted to take this day to go to the beach with me so that we could have some time alone together. The beach day ended up being very nice. It was cloudy most of the time but it didn't rain which allowed us to walk around the beach and city. We had a nice lunch together and at the end of the day, I think we were both happy to have had a day together. There is a kind of closeness that comes between a student and a host family that develops very subtly throughout the year. For me, it was moments like these that proved how much I cared about my host family and how wonderful of an experience I was having- even through all the trials that were inevitably part of the year as well.

Elizabeth
Washington University in Saint Louis

Flanders AFS

I was amazed by the people in the exchange program in Flanders. When I arrived, I was picked up at the airport, and brought to a beautiful monastery where all of the other exchange students were. There were many fun activities and opportunities to get to know my cohort as well as learn about Flemish culture and language.

Alejandra

Exploring

During my year in Belgium, some days after I got out of school I would take a bus to the nearest city called Arlon which was about 20 minutes away. I would walk to meet some friends outside of their schools or walk to wherever I felt like. I could go to the market and buy a bar of Belgian chocolate and then walk up to my favorite church or viewpoint and just sit and enjoy my chocolate. It gave me indescribable freedom to be able to do small things like that with my time.

I think that AFS overall is a bit on the pricy side for what we get from it. The support system is great but I would have loved if they had taken us on more excursions or made activities for us that not only could help us, but would be made enjoyable for us to talk about what we were going through and such.

AFS-USA (formerly the American Field Service), a 501(c)(3) nonprofit organization, is a leader in intercultural learning and offers international exchange programs in more than 40 countries around the world through independent, nonprofit AFS Organizations, each with a network of volunteers, a professionally staffed office, and