Summer Volunteer Program in Belize: The Initiative for Children™

Program Highlight!

A full spectrum of Chinese adventure awaits, as complex as the country itself. Hike the Great Wall of China and experience Mandarin immersion and language classes on our China: Mandarin Service Adventure program!

Lead the children of Belize in experiential learning activities such as co-creating books and take part in stimulating outdoor activities that tie into their language lessons while you learn firsthand about the struggle that Belize faces in finding a balance between attracting tourism revenue and preserving the region.

Program Highlights:
• Lead an educational English camp for Belizean youth
• Use experiential learning tools to improve children’s literacy
• Live on a tropical savannah surrounded by biodiversity
• Experience everything from lush rainforests to the Caribbean coast
• Enjoy world-class snorkeling over the world’s second-largest barrier reef
• Learn about animal conservation at the Belize Zoo

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 10
Laurie

Great Cultural Experience, Great Fun -- Huge Success for my Teen

Thank you for providing a wonderful experience for the students. I loved that the culture of GLA is real cultural exchange -- not wealthy Americans showering help on poorer communities -- but learning on both sides. The housing and food were excellent. I at first thought the cost was high, but when you consider the entirety of the experience, which included a weekend away in a hotel, all of the meals and excoursions, it actually was a very fair price. We will look into future trips in summers to come. Thank you!

Sarah

Belize Children’s Initiative Review

This past summer I traveled to Belize through GLA and it was one of the best experiences of my life. I found the program through a friend who had done a program two years before. She said it was be a life changing experience and she was not wrong. Not only did I make friends within the group I was volunteering, but I also made strong connections with some of children we worked with. One girl from my class emails me weekly to stay in touch! The program allows you to immerse yourself in another culture- nothing touristy. From cooking classes with our cook to shopping in the city markets, I truly felt like a native while in Belize. The housing was wonderful and had various hiking paths and a water hole for swimming. Overall it was a wonderful experience that I would recommend to anyone who wants to broader their understanding of our world and the people in it.

Cate

Global Leadership Adventures - Belize

I went to Belize two summers ago and it was the most amazing thing I've ever done. Everything about it was so incredible - the safety, the service, the excursions, the staff, etc. I went on the three week trip and it was everything I could have asked for and more. We taught a three week summer camp for kids at a local primary school. I really liked how we stayed in the same classroom each day, so we could make meaningful relationships with the students. After 10 days of camp, my class was like a family. It's crazy how close you can become with someone in that short amount of time. It's been a year and a half since my trip, and I still talk to the kids through Facebook. I even got to go back to Belize with my family for spring break and visit all the kids I taught at. Although the trip eventually ends, the relationships and memories are lifelong. The service was definitely my favorite part of the trip.
In the afternoons, we would go on excursions! My favorite was the weekend trip to Caye Caulker - one of the many beautiful islands of Belize. We went snorkeling, swimming and got to relax on the beach and reflect on all the amazing memories we made. Some of the other excursions we did were cave tubing, orange picking, going to the zoo and many more!
Safety is definitely GLA's main priority. The homebase is super safe and the staff makes it feel like home. I can't speak highly enough about GLA. I had such an amazing time in Belize that I went on another GLA trip this past summer!

The only thing I can think of is I wish the summer camp we did was a few days longer. But I know it's super hard to fit all the activities into a three week trip!
Brianna

Best Experience Ever!

Over the past summer, I went on this program and I was pretty nervous to travel alone and not know anybody. Little did I know that I was going to have the time of my life! This program helped me meet people that I can call my long lost bestfriends! I developed relationships with people who amazed me everyday with their kindness and generosity! I developed myself as a person through many different aspects. First, this trip helped grow my love for community work and missionaries. It makes me feel better about myself when I am helping others and this program was all about that. Second, I went out of my comfort zone and was able to have a fun time without having to worry! There is so much more I could include but I reccomend that everyone goes on a trip with Global Leadership Adventures and sees for themselves. The staff who accompanied me on this trip was awesome. I couldn't of asked for better people to lead my way to bettering myself as a human and bettering the people of Belize. The housing of this trip was awesome and the beds were comfy. The food was out of this world! I’m currently missing the abnormously large amount of plantains that would be accessible to us at all moments. This program has influenced me to want to be more involved with my community at home and the world around me! I will be going on another missions trip just because of how awesome this one was. My favorite memory about this trip was working with the kids. I worked with the younger age group and they were all so adorable and excited to learn. What I really took out of this experience is the fact that kids in Belize wanted to learn so bad while people at my home complain about going to school everyday. The kids in Belize would showup to the school we taught at running up to the friends I made and I hugging us! They would say thank you as much as possible just because we taught them the alphabet or some numbers. This really amazed me and made me realize that I need to be more grateful about how lucky I am to be able to go to school everyday. I reccomend that everyone who can goes on this trip and makes a memory close to this one. A memory that can change their outlook on life and make an extraordinary impact just like Belize; The Iniative for Children did for me :)

I would say that this program does not need to be improved! The staff did everything I could’ve ever asked for fulfilling my time there with undescribable opportunities and fun ones at that.
Alexa

Lifechanging Trip for my Daughter

This past summer my daughter Ava travelled to Belize for two weeks with Global Leadership Adventures. At first I was a bit hesistant to let her go on the trip, but I had never seen her so impassioned by a cause. Also, after extensive research on several websites, I found out GLA has few to no bad reviews and about a million amazing ones. The assurance from other parents about the trip’s safety and impact on their child’s life are what finally convinced me to let her go. And it was so worth it!! Ava had THE time of her life and found a new sense of purpose as well as many new friends. The in-country staff was always there if I ever needed to place a call in case of emergency but if I had questions I’d just email GLA and they got back to me quickly. My personal favorite part of this organization are the blogs that the students post online every few days. They gave me a great idea of what Ava was doing each day and I loved the pictures attached! Couldn’t recommend this organization more!!

Make it more clear that students are allowed to have a phone on the trip
Ava

Global Leadership Adventures: The Initiative for Children in Belize

This past summer I participated in Global Leadership Adventures Belize: The Initiative for Children. I had THE most amazing and life-changing experience of my life. The staff is amazing and very well-qualified/equipped to deal with any situation or emergency (should one even arise at all). The best part about this experience is that it is a totally authentic and service-oriented approach to exploring new cultures. On my particular trip we went to a poetry night a few villages over from home base, snorkeled around Tobacco Caye, and explored ancient Maya ruins.These direct and genuine interactions with Belizean culture are what sets GLA apart. Further, the service we participated in is beneficial to all involved. We got to teach the local youth English, paint their playground, and encourage them to reach their full potential. Even more, though, the service we completed changed our lives equally, if not more so, by opening our eyes to poverty, the privilege of public education, and social justice.

These were the best two weeks of my life and could not have been any better!!
Cody

My Summer Trip To Belize With Global Leaderships Adventures

I spent three weeks this summer in Belize with Global Leadership Adventures and even though I had spent the summer before in Guatemala, also with GLA, this trip was one of the most amazingly scary things I’ve ever done. Not only being without family but being surrounded with strangers in a whole new country is stressful to say the least, and as should be expected, had a slightly rocky beginning, with lost bags and awkward hellos, but once we reached the Tropical Education Center, which would be our home for the next three weeks, things settled down. We played a few “get to know you” games, nothing like the boring icebreakers I was used to from past summers, and got a tour of home base, and as we did this I started to get to know the other girls I was there with.
The food was always great at the TEC, they had wonderful gluten free options and always something without red meat for me.
Our first day at the school was easy, we split into groups and organized our classrooms, children occasionally stopping in to say hello, four little girls gathered by the fence that separated their yard from the school, telling us how excited they were for tomorrow.
When we did get to the school on our first day teaching, kids were there waiting for us, happy and willing to learn. The kids I taught all spoke very good english, some were better spellers than me. My fellow teachers and I made lesson plans every night after dinner, a quick job once you get it down, we also always had a few back up games incase the kids were especially energetic. We did have a few problems with fighting, teasing, and bullying, and the kids sometimes tried to sneak out when they thought we weren’t looking but all in all they were well behaved.
The day trips we went on we always interesting, though some more than others, I would have to say our trip to the ATM caves was my favorite, but that is only available on the three week program. On the last few days we took a trip to Caye Caulker, a two mile wide island just off the coast without cars, the locals having bicycles and tricked out golf carts instead. We stayed at a pretty nice hotel with AC right by the sea, explored the island, shopped a little, and spent the whole next day snorkeling from which I earned a nasty sunburn, but it was definitely worth the pain.
All in all it was a great trip with amazing mentors, the kids were hilarious, and the other girls on the trip with me were some of the sweetest, most down to earth people I’ve ever met.
If I were to suggest a summer program I wouldn’t hesitate to say this one.

I can’t think of anyways that GLA can improve this program but I can say that your experience will be so much better if you take the time to make friends with everyone in your groups.
Farah

GLA Belize

This is my second trip with GLA and I didn't think it was possible, but it was even better than my first. The service you do, the people you meet, and the adventures you experience are absolutely unforgettable. One moment you're singing camp songs with the local children and the next you're snorkeling with sharks. You then end the day sitting at a bonfire with you're new friends coming from all over the world just to do one thing; be the change.

About Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many...