Summer Volunteer Programs in Ghana

Program Highlight!

A full spectrum of Chinese adventure awaits, as complex as the country itself. Hike the Great Wall of China and experience Mandarin immersion and language classes on our China: Mandarin Service Adventure program!

Come discover the Volta Region of Ghana, an area well known for its traditional African religion, kente cloth weaving, storytelling, drumming, and dancing. GLA offers multiple Service Learning Adventure programs in Ghana, from medicine & public health, to children:

* Children of Africa™: Embrace children from the community as you learn traditional Ghanaian culture.
* Foundations of Global Health™: Discover coastal Africa and its people as you complete an eco-compost facility. Apply your interests in health and community development on a West African adventure!

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 10
Chrsitiane

Daughter loved GLA!!

Hi! My daughter has gone on 3 absolutely amazing GLA trips! She has had so many beneficial experiences! Each trip she has gone on I have felt so safe with her leaving! The communication and help I received from the GLA staff made such a difference. I had many questions the first trip she went on and they were always there to answer them! One of the best parts was seeing the blog of what they were up to each day! Coming back she had so many amazing stories to tell! I completely recommend GLA!!!

Kaycie

Children of Africa 2 week

Last school year, I decided on a whim that I wanted to go on a service trip abroad and began my search online for a well-qualified program that would meet my desires. I came across Global Leadership Adventures, and with reviews such as these, I made the decision to trust my travels with this organization. Throughout the application and admission process, the GLA staff was super helpful with any questions me or my mother had and could answer anything I threw at them by email within a day.
I left Virginia not knowing what to expect but once I met up with other girls in New York, some more in Amsterdam, and everyone else in Ghana I knew these next few weeks were going to be the best of my life because I was already becoming such good friends with the people on my trip.
Everyone from the people on the plane, the GLA hired staff, and the members of the Krobo community were so welcoming and positive which was a great start to the trip. This was by far the best experience I've ever had from playing with the kids, participating in local traditions, learning at the krobo girls high school, building bricks, and teaching the kids English.
The goodbyes were the only bad thing about this trip because the kids wouldn't let go and it was hard to make them do so. Ghana will forever hold a special place in my heart.

I'd say the only thing that might be able to make this trip better is to add some more cultural activities because we spent quite a lot of time in the park, but the kids are super fun to be around so it didn't bother me.
Madison

21-day Children of Africa, Ghana

This past summer, I traveled to Anloga, Ghana for three weeks on the Children of Africa program with Global Leadership Adventures (GLA). In simple terms, this trip was a life-changing experience. Between the perfect balance of service, culture, and the incredible people I met, I will forever remember my time in the amazing country of Ghana. Our days began at 7 am with a delicious breakfast, then we broke into our three mentor groups to go to our schools. At Zico Primary, my mentor group’s school, we started by making bricks; these bricks would go toward building school facilities because there is an issue of overcrowding. After brick making, we taught for an hour. My two partners and I taught first graders english, science, and math. I had never taught before in a classroom setting so it was quite challenging but very fun and rewarding by the end of the three weeks. I made an incredible relationship with my students and learned a bit of Ewe, the local language, along the way. After returning from school and eating lunch, we did a variation of activities each day. For example, one day we shopped in the Anloga and Keta markets. There, we bought traditional fabric which we then brought to seamstresses who sewed clothing for us. When we returned from our afternoon activities, we ate dinner and began our evening activity. Days were packed full with lots to do and each activity had the purpose of meeting new people and learning about Ghanaian culture. Aside from the schedule, I want to acknowledge the amazing staff on site. Each mentor group has a mentor and a local staff member; there is also an international director and a local staff director. Everyone is extremely nice and approachable. They accompany you on every adventure and they are great people to get to know and talk to; they each come from such interesting and different backgrounds so make sure you get to know them! GLA does an amazing job at finding incredible staff, providing a fun, activity-packed trip, and ensuring our safety. I cannot recommend this company enough! I will never forget my experience in Ghana and will remember all of the wonderful memories I made there.

Emily

GLA Ghana: Children of Africa

Last year, I went on the 14 day GLA program to Ghana. This program focused on cultural immersion and close interactions with the community in Krobo. We had the opportunity to teach english in a local primary school, build bricks for a school library, and learn about Ghana's beautiful culture. The GLA staff were eager to help us make the most of our short time there and ensured that there was never a dull moment! I would highly recommend this program to any high school student with an open mindset and a willingness to expand his or her horizons. GLA is an incredible chance for teens to experience the impact of service and learn about world issues in a very hands-on environment. Through this program, I made lasting bonds with people from all over the country as well as people on the other side of the world. If you go on this program, open yourself up to new people, try all the foods, learn the local dances, attempt to speak Krobo, ask questions, and most importantly, have fun!

Ana

I am the Parent who sent their baby to Ghana and I am so glad I did

My daughter, Nicole 16 at the time, sat my husband and I down to ask to go to Ghana Africa. We thought she was crazy! We immediately said no and then realized she was serious so we did our research into Global Leadership Adventures and Accra where she would be staying and it was very safe. We left her at the airport and waited 3 weeks to see her again. She came back a new person she had more appreciation and she was so happy. She raved about her trip and the children and the Staff and everything about it. So as a review I will highly suggest the trip all aspects were safe and my daughter got so much out of the experience that she will carry along with her throughout he whole life. As well she has experiences many kids her age do not have in which she can put on applications and apply to her work in the future because of the new aspect she has gained thanks to Global Leadership Adventures! As a parent I highly suggest this program for high school kids!

There is nothing that I see that can be improved
alireza

Father of adventurous daughter whom went on the Ghana trip (2 weeks)

GLA Which stands for Global Leadership Adventures offered a life changing journey for my daughter as a 17 year old , she came back a different person meeting a diverse group of people from various countries whom she made very close friends with . They offered to go to many different countries and my daughter chose Africa \ Ghana she learned about a new culture, learned about volunteerism, mentoring the old and younger kids .It was a very Inspiring program for her working side by side with local people learning about their social issues and Community service & explore places of historic and cultural significance . As a parent I was very hesitant to send her but I am glad I did,I can indeed say that she is a much better Global Citizen since her return from Africa.

Nicole

Ghana: The Children Of Africa

There is so much to say but so little of a box! GLA gave me an opportunity I never thought I could have at this young of an age. I was able to make a difference in peoples lives, at the age of 16! Like anyone would be, I was nervous at first! I mean who wouldn't be, but as soon as i stepped foot into Ghana i was overcome with excitement! Me and the other students on my flight were welcomed right away at the gate by mentors from GLA! Throughout the first few days we were introduced to all our fellow students and our mentors we would be living with for the next 3 weeks! Then things really got started! I started brick making! And teaching! and going on excursions! it was beyond amazing! I fell in love with it all! The people who i lived with, that the first day i called strangers, I now called family. Everyday i got to meet new people, try new things, and learn new amazing things! Because of this trip, I am a better person, I try new things, and i view things with a different, more positive eye. I would not trade this trip for anything and because of this trip it made me realize i want to volunteer in my future more.

There is nothing I would "improve." There was nothing more amazing than this experience and i wouldn't change anything.
Atoosa

My trip to Ghana (Children of Africa 2016)

It was the most amazing experience! I met other teens through this organization that I am still in contact with and held the same love for service work. The instructors were fabulous in making sure ALL aspects of the trip were safe and luckily no one on my two week trip got sick or left with even a scratch on their body. This trip truly opened my eyes from the myopic view Americans may have on other nations around the world. Ghana is a exuberant and full of life place that deserves to be seen by all. Never have I ever felt more at home traveling there. I am a senior in high school that lives in Northern Virginia and the love and compassion that I felt while teaching my school children english is indescribable. I hope to go back to Ghana next year and continue my work.

Getting more kids to go on the trip!
Caitlin

Amazing.

My trip to Ghana this past summer with Global Leadership Adventures (GLA) was FANTASTIC. I made so many new friends that I really connected with, and made memories I will never forget. The first time I walked into the classroom of 4th graders, I was so nervous yet excited- but those nerves immediately faded when I saw the huge smiles on the children's faces and becoming overwhelmed with hugs that I still miss today. Don't miss out!! It was an experience I will never forget :)

Jada

Building Healthy Villages

This was my first trip with Global Leadership Adventures! I'm happy to say that this trip is highly recommend to anyone that wants to do some serving. I had a blast in Ghana for the 2 weeks. I met new people and friendships that will last a lifetime. I grew as a person and a leader while doing service in a third would country. I was welcomed everywhere I went outside of the home base. The food was so amazing and I miss the food so much!! But most importantly I miss my friends and everyone I met while in Ghana. Here is a story to tell, half way through the trip. I broke my glasses in half. That day wasn't a good day for me but our mentor went and bought some super glue to fix my glasses. I was blind for 6-8 hours but I survived and didnt complain. One of my friends gave me a extra pair of contact lenses that she had. So thanks to her and to my mentor!! I felt safe everyday and also I learn something new everyday about Ghana. It was once in a lifetime experience and happy to go on this trip with Global Leadership Adventures! I get homesick and I will always call Ghana home! When signing up, Global Leadership Adventures was there every step of the way! Thanks!!

There is nothing to improve at all!!
Bella

The Power of a Wave

Ghana is not called the heart and soul of Africa for no reason. I have never felt so welcomed and so automatically loved anywhere else. While I was in Ghana, I would get at least 10 loving hugs, 20 energetic hugs, and a whole lot of big, bright smiles every day. Every time I walked down the street I would hear people yelling hello or "Abruno!," which means "White Person" in Korobo. Walking down the streets made me feel almost famous! They value our help so much and every chance they get they say thank you, but I should really be the one thanking them.

Melisa

GLA Children of Africa

Traveling with GLA this past summer was honestly one of the most amazing things I could have done with my time. The two weeks I spent in Ghana were absolutely life changing. I made some amazing friends and experienced something that can't fully be explained by words. The food was amazing, the people were amazing, and never in a million years did I think I would fall so hard in love with Africa. I highly recommend this program to any teenager looking to make an impact and see what life is like outside of the US.

I honestly wouldn't change a thing about the program. Every aspect of it was amazing and had anything been different it just wouldn't have been the same.
Haley

Ghana: Children of Africa Krobo

This summer, I went to Krobo in Ghana with Global Leadership Adventures and it was absolutely amazing. We spent most of our time with the children, whether we were building bricks, teaching, or playing with them. We immersed ourselves into the culture right away. We were able to try all of the traditional foods, dances, and even the local language Krobo. They took us to the market where we were able to shop for our own fabrics that we had tailored into clothes. I learned so much on the trip. In the afternoons, after teaching in the morning and before we went to play with the children, we would learn about Ghana and how we could continue our service. We participated in leadership activities about privilege and how we could better the world. At the park, where we played with the children, we always seemed to have the best of times. We would play and laugh with the kids. They would all come meet us at HomeBase and walk with us to the Park. We brought fun toys and games like bubbles, soccer balls, and other things. When we taught in the mornings, the children were eager to learn, and our mentors helped prepare for our days in the classroom. We also had a chance to eave the community and go explore Ghana. We went hiking and to a beach club which was really cool. I honestly loved volunteering in Ghana so much and would go back in a heartbeat. I recommend this program to anyone who is interested, and those who are not should reconsider it because it changed my perspective on the world.

Jane

Children of Africa: Anloga, Ghana

This summer, I travelled with Global Leadership Adventures to Anloga, Ghana with the Children of Africa program. It was honestly the most amazing experience I've ever had. What made the program so great was the perfect balance between service, cultural learning, reflection, and free time. In the mornings, we would break into our two "mentor groups" and visit separate schools. There, we made bricks that would go towards building a new classroom for kindergarteners and we also taught the students. Teaching was a completely new experience for me. We taught the same class of students everyday which was helpful because we were able to begin building relationships with them. It was difficult at first to figure out how to approach it, but we were all partnered with another GLA student, so we learned how to work together. The teaching was definitely one of my favorite things that we got to do in Ghana. In the afternoons, we did different activities everyday. Sometimes we visited local chiefs, or went shopping in street markets. We bought traditional fabric and had extremely talented seamstresses sew clothing for us. Other times, we had leadership workshops lead by the mentors that helped us reflect on our activities. When we had free time, there was no shortage of fun to be had with the local children who came running from school to hang out with us. The GLA staff was incredible and they were always there when we needed them. There was no time where I felt unsafe in Ghana. It was very cool to have Ghanaian staff working on the program because it gave us more of an inside view. Overall, this experience inspired me to learn more about global issues and different cultures around the world. Everyone we met was extremely welcoming and glad we were there to experience Ghana.

Jenna

Unbelievable

I truly wish there were words to adequately describe just how incredible my 3 week trip to Ghana was. It was without a doubt the best 21 days of my life. The experience will change students more than they could ever imagine and they will without a doubt never be the same.

My expectations going into the trip were extremely high, but they were more than surpassed. Everything about it was seemingly perfect - the service (teaching & building bricks), cultural activities, housing, food, and workshops. The relationships built are lifelong relationships- the mentors were insightful and more personable than I can describe and the bonds formed with them and especially with the other students are unique in the best way possible. Our group became a family very quickly and to this day they are still some of my greatest friends.

I cannot emphasize enough how highly I would recommend a GLA trip. The growth that takes place inside of every single person is unimaginable until one actually experiences it. Every high school student NEEDS this experience (although they might not realize it beforehand).

The only improvement would be to make the trip longer! Three weeks was three weeks too short.

About Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many...