Summer Volunteer Programs in Ghana

Summer Volunteer Programs in Ghana

Come discover the Volta Region of Ghana, an area well known for its traditional African religion, kente cloth weaving, storytelling, drumming, and dancing. GLA offers multiple Service Learning Adventure programs in Ghana, from medicine & public health, to children, and sports programs:

* Children of Africa™: Embrace children from the community as you learn traditional Ghanaian culture.
* Building Healthy Villages™: Discover coastal Africa and its people as you complete an eco-compost facility.
* Sports Service Adventure: Make a difference in an active, meaningful way by connecting with local children through your shared passion for sports.

Africa » Ghana » Accra
Africa » Ghana
Program Categories
Includes: All meals and purified water, Lodging in GLA Home-Base, All excursions and activities, 24-hour emergency hotline, Airport Transportation, Local Transportation, Pre-departure Orientation, Travel, medical and evacuation insurance, Phone call home upon arrival.

Emily
Michigan, USA

GLA Ghana: Children of Africa

Last year, I went on the 14 day GLA program to Ghana. This program focused on cultural immersion and close interactions with the community in Krobo. We had the opportunity to teach english in a local primary school, build bricks for a school library, and learn about Ghana's beautiful culture. The GLA staff were eager to help us make the most of our short time there and ensured that there was never a dull moment! I would highly recommend this program to any high school student with an open mindset and a willingness to expand his or her horizons. GLA is an incredible chance for teens to experience the impact of service and learn about world issues in a very hands-on environment. Through this program, I made lasting bonds with people from all over the country as well as people on the other side of the world. If you go on this program, open yourself up to new people, try all the foods, learn the local dances, attempt to speak Krobo, ask questions, and most importantly, have fun!

alireza
VA

Father of adventurous daughter whom went on the Ghana trip (2 weeks)

GLA Which stands for Global Leadership Adventures offered a life changing journey for my daughter as a 17 year old , she came back a different person meeting a diverse group of people from various countries whom she made very close friends with . They offered to go to many different countries and my daughter chose Africa \ Ghana she learned about a new culture, learned about volunteerism, mentoring the old and younger kids .It was a very Inspiring program for her working side by side with local people learning about their social issues and Community service & explore places of historic and cultural significance . As a parent I was very hesitant to send her but I am glad I did,I can indeed say that she is a much better Global Citizen since her return from Africa.

Nicole
Berkley, Massachusetts

Ghana: The Children Of Africa

There is so much to say but so little of a box! GLA gave me an opportunity I never thought I could have at this young of an age. I was able to make a difference in peoples lives, at the age of 16! Like anyone would be, I was nervous at first! I mean who wouldn't be, but as soon as i stepped foot into Ghana i was overcome with excitement! Me and the other students on my flight were welcomed right away at the gate by mentors from GLA! Throughout the first few days we were introduced to all our fellow students and our mentors we would be living with for the next 3 weeks! Then things really got started! I started brick making! And teaching! and going on excursions! it was beyond amazing! I fell in love with it all! The people who i lived with, that the first day i called strangers, I now called family. Everyday i got to meet new people, try new things, and learn new amazing things! Because of this trip, I am a better person, I try new things, and i view things with a different, more positive eye. I would not trade this trip for anything and because of this trip it made me realize i want to volunteer in my future more.

There is nothing I would "improve." There was nothing more amazing than this experience and i wouldn't change anything.

Atoosa
Springfield, Virginia

My trip to Ghana (Children of Africa 2016)

It was the most amazing experience! I met other teens through this organization that I am still in contact with and held the same love for service work. The instructors were fabulous in making sure ALL aspects of the trip were safe and luckily no one on my two week trip got sick or left with even a scratch on their body. This trip truly opened my eyes from the myopic view Americans may have on other nations around the world. Ghana is a exuberant and full of life place that deserves to be seen by all. Never have I ever felt more at home traveling there. I am a senior in high school that lives in Northern Virginia and the love and compassion that I felt while teaching my school children english is indescribable. I hope to go back to Ghana next year and continue my work.

Getting more kids to go on the trip!

Caitlin
Frederick, Maryland

Amazing.

My trip to Ghana this past summer with Global Leadership Adventures (GLA) was FANTASTIC. I made so many new friends that I really connected with, and made memories I will never forget. The first time I walked into the classroom of 4th graders, I was so nervous yet excited- but those nerves immediately faded when I saw the huge smiles on the children's faces and becoming overwhelmed with hugs that I still miss today. Don't miss out!! It was an experience I will never forget :)

Jada
Portales,NM

Building Healthy Villages

This was my first trip with Global Leadership Adventures! I'm happy to say that this trip is highly recommend to anyone that wants to do some serving. I had a blast in Ghana for the 2 weeks. I met new people and friendships that will last a lifetime. I grew as a person and a leader while doing service in a third would country. I was welcomed everywhere I went outside of the home base. The food was so amazing and I miss the food so much!! But most importantly I miss my friends and everyone I met while in Ghana. Here is a story to tell, half way through the trip. I broke my glasses in half. That day wasn't a good day for me but our mentor went and bought some super glue to fix my glasses. I was blind for 6-8 hours but I survived and didnt complain. One of my friends gave me a extra pair of contact lenses that she had. So thanks to her and to my mentor!! I felt safe everyday and also I learn something new everyday about Ghana. It was once in a lifetime experience and happy to go on this trip with Global Leadership Adventures! I get homesick and I will always call Ghana home! When signing up, Global Leadership Adventures was there every step of the way! Thanks!!

There is nothing to improve at all!!

Bella
Denver

The Power of a Wave

Ghana is not called the heart and soul of Africa for no reason. I have never felt so welcomed and so automatically loved anywhere else. While I was in Ghana, I would get at least 10 loving hugs, 20 energetic hugs, and a whole lot of big, bright smiles every day. Every time I walked down the street I would hear people yelling hello or "Abruno!," which means "White Person" in Korobo. Walking down the streets made me feel almost famous! They value our help so much and every chance they get they say thank you, but I should really be the one thanking them.

Melisa
Houston, Texas

GLA Children of Africa

Traveling with GLA this past summer was honestly one of the most amazing things I could have done with my time. The two weeks I spent in Ghana were absolutely life changing. I made some amazing friends and experienced something that can't fully be explained by words. The food was amazing, the people were amazing, and never in a million years did I think I would fall so hard in love with Africa. I highly recommend this program to any teenager looking to make an impact and see what life is like outside of the US.

I honestly wouldn't change a thing about the program. Every aspect of it was amazing and had anything been different it just wouldn't have been the same.

Haley
New Jersey

Ghana: Children of Africa Krobo

This summer, I went to Krobo in Ghana with Global Leadership Adventures and it was absolutely amazing. We spent most of our time with the children, whether we were building bricks, teaching, or playing with them. We immersed ourselves into the culture right away. We were able to try all of the traditional foods, dances, and even the local language Krobo. They took us to the market where we were able to shop for our own fabrics that we had tailored into clothes. I learned so much on the trip. In the afternoons, after teaching in the morning and before we went to play with the children, we would learn about Ghana and how we could continue our service. We participated in leadership activities about privilege and how we could better the world. At the park, where we played with the children, we always seemed to have the best of times. We would play and laugh with the kids. They would all come meet us at HomeBase and walk with us to the Park. We brought fun toys and games like bubbles, soccer balls, and other things. When we taught in the mornings, the children were eager to learn, and our mentors helped prepare for our days in the classroom. We also had a chance to eave the community and go explore Ghana. We went hiking and to a beach club which was really cool. I honestly loved volunteering in Ghana so much and would go back in a heartbeat. I recommend this program to anyone who is interested, and those who are not should reconsider it because it changed my perspective on the world.

Jane
Burlington, Vermont

Children of Africa: Anloga, Ghana

This summer, I travelled with Global Leadership Adventures to Anloga, Ghana with the Children of Africa program. It was honestly the most amazing experience I've ever had. What made the program so great was the perfect balance between service, cultural learning, reflection, and free time. In the mornings, we would break into our two "mentor groups" and visit separate schools. There, we made bricks that would go towards building a new classroom for kindergarteners and we also taught the students. Teaching was a completely new experience for me. We taught the same class of students everyday which was helpful because we were able to begin building relationships with them. It was difficult at first to figure out how to approach it, but we were all partnered with another GLA student, so we learned how to work together. The teaching was definitely one of my favorite things that we got to do in Ghana. In the afternoons, we did different activities everyday. Sometimes we visited local chiefs, or went shopping in street markets. We bought traditional fabric and had extremely talented seamstresses sew clothing for us. Other times, we had leadership workshops lead by the mentors that helped us reflect on our activities. When we had free time, there was no shortage of fun to be had with the local children who came running from school to hang out with us. The GLA staff was incredible and they were always there when we needed them. There was no time where I felt unsafe in Ghana. It was very cool to have Ghanaian staff working on the program because it gave us more of an inside view. Overall, this experience inspired me to learn more about global issues and different cultures around the world. Everyone we met was extremely welcoming and glad we were there to experience Ghana.

Jenna
Pennsylvania

Unbelievable

I truly wish there were words to adequately describe just how incredible my 3 week trip to Ghana was. It was without a doubt the best 21 days of my life. The experience will change students more than they could ever imagine and they will without a doubt never be the same.

My expectations going into the trip were extremely high, but they were more than surpassed. Everything about it was seemingly perfect - the service (teaching & building bricks), cultural activities, housing, food, and workshops. The relationships built are lifelong relationships- the mentors were insightful and more personable than I can describe and the bonds formed with them and especially with the other students are unique in the best way possible. Our group became a family very quickly and to this day they are still some of my greatest friends.

I cannot emphasize enough how highly I would recommend a GLA trip. The growth that takes place inside of every single person is unimaginable until one actually experiences it. Every high school student NEEDS this experience (although they might not realize it beforehand).

The only improvement would be to make the trip longer! Three weeks was three weeks too short.

Casey
Shrewsbur, New Jersey

Building Healthy Villages

I had the time of my life in Ghana this summer building an eco-compost toilet for one of the local villages! I came home wanting to go back and I truly miss it every day. The lively spirit and the welcoming nature brought a smile to my face every single day that I was there and I made the most incredible friends of whom I still talk to all the time! If I could have spent my entire summer in Ghana I definetely would have and I hope to return next summer, as do some of the students from my trip! Everywere you go when you leave the home base you recieve warm welcomes and I have never felt so happy to be somewhere. I found wholesome comfort in a situation where I least expected it and I truly wake up every morning wanting to be back. We learned the local language there, "Ewe" and picked it up pretty fast so that we could communicate with all of the kids and people outside the village, which I thought was so important. Coming back to America and knowing the basics of Ewe after two weeks felt incredible and I was so excted to teach some of it to my family. The part of this trip that meant the most to me though was how much I was contributing to a community. You get to meet the people and play with the kids of which will be benefitted by his toilet for decades. I think before going on this trip I knew that public health was a huge issue, but seeing it firsthand absolutely changed my life and I plan to actually study public health and work on projects similar to this in my future. This was the most incedible experience of my life and everyone around me can see the change it made in my life. I hope everyone who is considering going on this trip next year goes for it- you'll be so happy you did!

I had a great experience and recieved so much support from when I first applied to go on the trip all the way until I got home. I wouldn't personally change anything if I could about my experience except for the fact that more students should be going! I loved having a small group but having more studets go would be really helpful at the worksite and beneficial to the program and community!

Taylor
San Antonio, Texas

Children of Africa

I went to Ghana this summer on the children of Africa program. I was there for three weeks. Those three weeks couldn't have been any better. The cost is completely worth it, the things you see and things you get to do are a priceless experience. I have traveled a lot but no trip has stuck to me like this one. It has opened my eyes so much to what I can do and has really helped me in deciding my future.

Everything was good on the trip, only thing is a better packing list. I brought plenty but there are some things that could be changed.

Mari
Rowley, MA

Incredible experience!

I was a part of the Children of Africa program in Ghana with GLA this past summer, and I can honestly say this program was exactly what I was looking for. Both the local and international staff made our well-being their top priority, and were incredibly caring to every student. We were broken up into personalized "mentor groups" to process our experience, undergoing many reflective leadership and teambuilding activities to supplement our service projects in primary schools and the local clinic. Mentors became our friends, our role models, and our educators, and their guidance through this eye opening experience is something I can't write enough praise about. This was not the typical "high school travel" program; everyone came with a purpose, and we were able to come together to work towards a beautiful goal as a family. We were able to live WITH the people in the middle of a community, rather than just being ambiguous American volunteers detached from the local people. I never once felt unsafe or worried while in Ghana; GLA made sure all of the students felt comfortable when embarking on this off the map experience in a developing country. I can't say enough about how much I fell in love with Ghana and our little community in Anloga. Going on this journey is something every teenager should do if they have the chance to. While these types of teen service experiences are offered by many programs, GLA Ghana shows excellence in responsible voluntourism for high schoolers, working with the community to make a difference in some small way by educating students in development work and Ghanaian culture. This program is incredible, and GLA helps you every step of the way. I could say so much more about the program and my unforgettable memories, but every single student will take away something different and indescribably special from this experience on their own. If anyone has any questions, check out the GLA Ghana Facebook page to get in touch with alumni like me and see all the wonderful resources GLA makes available. Thank you!

Gillian
New Jersey

I Love GLA!

I loved my trip to Ghana. I have been on three Global Leadership Adventure trips and I feel they are amazing. When I went to Ghana we stayed in a small hostel by ourselves in the middle of a small village near the beach. The food was amazing and I always felt extremely safe. Kids would come into the yard and play all the time. The service was extremely rewarding. I helped build a library with cement blocks and helped teach a 1st grade class at a local school. The bonds built through service and the memories I made there are something I will take with me for the rest of my life. In addition to service GLA does a lot of cultural immersion activities. These include language class, cooking class, host families, an island tour, visiting a slave fort, seeing one of the largest waterfalls in Africa, and even going to a monkey forest. The excursion trips always kept us busy. Additionally every night we would have discussions, guest speakers, or lessons that would serve to make us think and teach us about issues in Ghana and around the world. We were always exhausted and in bed by 9 ready for a new exciting day come next morning. GLA Ghana was incredible and helped teach me what I want in life and what I will do in my future.

This program was honestly amazing. Everything was extremely well balanced and never ceased to keep me interested and involved.

Deborah
Salem, MA
Salem State University

Excellent Program

My daughter went on this trip in 2013 and had a wonderful time! She is still in touch with many of the kids and leaders in the group! She misses the people in Ghana every day and because of this experience she has decided to study abroad in Ghana. The accomodations were nice, no hot water but that is everywhere in Ghana. Side trips were also life changing experiences. She loved the food and spent a lot of time with the kids, which was her main purpose that she went on the trip. She went on with a different organization this summer to Fiji and had a horrible time so my advice is that you stay with this company. If you decide to go with a different company please ask about accomodations, how much they will need to walk/hike daily, foods, adult-supervision, etc.

Was perfect! My daughter loved everything about the program!

Karisma
Chicago, IL

Building Healthy Villages with GLA

GLA is a perfect organization for high school students who want to volunteer abroad. Everything is set up in a way that parents can be assured their child is safe while logistics and scheduling run smoothly in the program country. I heard only positive feedback from almost everybody in my group, and I know I will be referring people to GLA in the future. Global Leadership Adventures delivers an experience that matches all three aspects of GLA's name: participants are exposed to beautiful cultures and introduced to the concept of a global citizen, they are given plenty of opportunities to refine their leadership skills, and their taste for adventure is satisfied through a meaningful service project and powerful day trips. I have never seen so many earnest people together in one setting; returning home from such an amazing experience was difficult for all of us!

Sarah
Washington D.C

GLA Ghana is the place to be!!!!! Life changing for sure!

Not many high schoolers have the chance to have a life changing experience like this. GLA isn't the cliche abroad trip. In its perfect blend of challenge and comfort and beauty, the essence of Ghana through the guidance of GLA was perfect.

GLA Ghana most definitely had to be one of the greatest gifts that I have ever received in my life. I was blessed to have the opportunity to travel to a beautiful country, and be accepted by a beautiful community. It was the best gift to be given the privilege to help, and being trusted enough to teach classes, and make bricks for the school. It was a gift to be surrounded around a group of people that cared about each other, and cared about the world. But most of all, I really think the greatest gift was the connections I have been able to make. I really believe that in Ghana, I learned how to be aware, and how to LIVE WITH PURPOSE. Having the skills to do that in itself is essentially, a gift, because many people do not have the opportunity to do so. I met the most wonderful people: the staff, other GLA students, and the Ghanaian people, and adorable life-changing little kids The whole GLA experience was a gift because I learned, through helping others, how to become an effective leader with vision, how to cultivate my voice, and how to use that voice to inflict change, and empower others to inflict change! I can’t think of a better gift. After my trip, I have been inspired to continue doing work at home and have motivated a lot of people to look beyond the comfort of their homes and even country, and strive to understand the world on a global level!

And on top of that: you're safe the whole time, the food is AWESOME, and you get to go on awe-inspiring trips as you venture through the vibrance of ghana in the good hands of GLA! Would recommend this to anyone!

If I could change something, I wish I could stay in Ghana longer. When looking at programs, I thought 3 weeks would take forever to pass, but before you know it, it flies by! Take advantage of your time there :)

Jeremy
Leominster, Massachusetts

Best experience of my life so far!

Global Leadership Adventures offers a great life changing experience that opens students up to the world outside of their every day life. The Ghanian culture is amazing and the people are so friendly and welcoming! GLA offers The Children of Africa program along with the Building Healthy Villages program where both offer the chance to help the local community in such a big way! The Building Health Villages home base is located at The Meet Me There hostel and it is one of the most beautiful places I have ever seen. I would highly encourage you to choose Ghana for your country if you choose to go abroad with GLA!

GLA offers scholarships, financial aid, fundraising tips, and so much more to help you get started with the program. It was very safe, comfortable and the staff are incredible people; this could be a once in a lifetime opportunity and I would suggest Global Leadership Adventures to anyone out there looking for a life changing experience!

The only thing I would change would be the amount of time we spent in the Home Base, I would of liked to be able to go out and roam around the streets a little more. Other than that I wish I could have stayed longer than two weeks.

ccampbell
Baton Rouge, Louisiana

It's been 8 months, and I still think about Ghana everyday.

The highlight of my trip was visiting Fathers House. Fathers House is a house that houses 8 rescued child slaves off of Lake Volta. The "Great 8" are my favorite boys in the whole world. The fun and love they brought to my life was so inspiring. I am going back to Ghana, I'm going back, first and foremost, to see those boys.

I honestly cannot find anything I would change. The lodging was perfect, the food delicious, and the service exactly what everyone was looking for.

GreyGondella
Bluemont VA

Global Leadership Adventures Ghana

Global Leadership Adventures Ghana was the most amazing experience of my life and is one I will remember forever. The culture, country, staff, and overall program are amazing. Throughout the program you are fully immersed in the culture, but you also have the ability to step back and collect yourself if you feel the need. I guarantee that the people you meet, the things you experience, and the things you will do will change your life and stay with you forever. I highly recommend GLA Ghana!

The one thing I would change about the trip is the price. I know it is expensive, and in the end it truly is worth it, but money can be hard to come by. GLA gives fundraising tips, and raising the money is possible, especially once people realize how much good you will doing and getting out of it.

Josh
England

Trip of a lifetime

GLA offer a fantastic Ghana Program, that involves a perfect combination of community service, exploration and socialising.

The program offers a wide range of activities that enable students to really immerse themselves in the local culture - at points, I myself felt like a Ghanaian.

Safety is impeccable.

Highly recommended.

JamieAdams
Dallas, Texas

Learning and Teaching in Keta, Ghana

Travelling to Ghana with GLA was one of the most influential experiences of my life. Throughout the trip, you'll work with children in primary schools by teaching and building bricks to contribute to expanding the schools. This is probably the best part of the trip, as you'll get to truly connect with the children you're teaching and see them grow as students. In between classes, you'll learn so much from them, as well, just by talking to them and asking questions about their lives. On the weekends, GLA takes students on fun excursions to different parts of the Ghanaian coast, including a visit to slave forts, a monkey sanctuary, and Kakum National Park. The trip is so much fun on top of being incredibly educational. It's a life-changing experience to be so immersed in this culture, and you'll never forget it!

The biggest inconvenience of the trip is the high price, but it really is it worth it, despite how intimidating it might seem. Even with the price, GLA is so great about offering scholarships and assistance in fundraising. I wouldn't have been able to go on the trip without fundraising, but I was able to get over $2,000 through donations and garage sales. With that, this setback didn't seem like such a huge problem.

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many students call a life-changing experience, not just a spring break