• Costa Rica

Airfare
Apr 15, 2021
Aug 17, 2022
62 travelers are looking at this program

Join us in one of the most astounding collections of ecosystems and cultures on the planet. Global Leadership Adventures runs Costa Rica programs for teens ages 14-19 to complete meaningful community service projects, participate in unique and hands-on cultural immersion, and have a once-in-a-lifetime adventure. Choose from programs with themes including: Animal & Wildlife Conservation, Children & Education, Environmental Stewardship, Language Immersion and more.

Program Highlights

• Costa Rica: Animal Rescue Project (14-21 Day Program)
  • Costa Rica: Beachside Service Adventure (10-Day Program)
  • Costa Rica: Marine Conservation & Sea Turtle Expedition Program (21 Days)
  • Costa Rica: Spanish Service Adventure (14-21 Day Program)
  • Costa Rica: The Initiative for Children (14-21 Day Program)

• 9-10 rating 95.83%
  • 7-8 rating 4.17%
  • Program Selection 9.7
  • Pre-departure Help 9.8
  • In-program Support 9.7
  • Impact on Student 9
Jennifer

GLA Costa Rica Children's Initiative

My daughter had an absolutely wonderful trip on her GLA adventure. She was on the Costa Rica Children's Initiative trip from July 25-August 7 2022. I honestly cannot say enough good things. The experience matched and exceeded my expectations. She absolutely adored all the mentors and the international director, Jonathan. She made so many new friends and is really missing them! The combination of service activities, GLA bonding and leadership activities, and recreational trips is perfect for a teenager. She talked all the way home from the airport about her experience. Most of all, I think she treasures the relationships that were formed. As a parent, the communication from the company before the trip as well as the blog during the trip was superb. I never worried about her safety, as I could follow along with their daily activities. I will definitely be saving up for another trip for her in the future.

Pros
  • staff
  • communication
  • diversity
Julia

Light on the animal focus

The trip had a heavier focus on standard camp activities than on animals. The “animal rescue” portion involved tidying the area around the site where animals were housed. This was 60% of the trip. Only one of the three weeks had vet experience. The program description oversold the vet aspect of the trip, and we wish there had been more of that type of experience. On the plus side, the students got to meet new people and try a variety of different activities and foods. They were happy with their mentors and felt safe.

Pros
  • Variety of activities and foods if you want a “camp” experience
Cons
  • No “animal rescuing”
  • Not enough vet experience
Sunny

No Regrets!

As a parent of a participant, I was very pleased with the whole GLA process from start to finish. Their communication was just the right amount. I felt extremely comfortable with the leadership and organization of the program and staff. My son is a rising senior and felt very comfortable in a foreign country meeting new people in his group. He really enjoyed being involved in the spaying and neutering of the local animals in Costa Rica. We look forward to sending our other two sons on a GLA trip in the years to come.

Pros
  • Experience another culture
  • Practice Spanish Language
  • Provide service to the community
CC

Costa Rica Marine and Turtle Adventure

This was a perfect initiation into international travel and solo travel for my daughter. GLA provided the guidance and details to make it a great trip. It was well balanced between service, personal journey, and cultural exposure. The housing was safe and well appointed, and the food was amazing. Her experience with all the local people was beyond positive. She found them to be helpful and friendly. The service work involved cleaning the beaches of debris from storms and gave the group opportunities for collaboration. The day trips gave them a chance to get into the rain forests and see wildlife. All in all, the trip gave her a chance to meet new people and make friends, do hard, meaningful, satisfying work, and be in a wonderful place. I would recommend it to teens and families for a first solo trip.

Pros
  • GLA support
  • Wonderful country
Cons
  • Service could have been longer in the day
Kristin

Sun, sand, and Independence

My son went to Costa Rica. He is 16 and had never left the country on his own before. COVID has made traveling difficult with testing and additional documents which made me more nervous about sending a minor child to Central America alone.
Everything went very well! GLA was very clear about exactly what kids needed to spring in terms of paperwork and clothing. They were there to meet my son at the airport.
My son had a most excellent time, possibly the best week of his life and made many friends. He loved the food, the kids, and the staff!

Pros
  • Individual attention
  • Friendly staff
  • Complete information
wendy

Costa Rica Spring Break

This is what I sent to GLA after my kids trip.

I can’t even begin to articulate how wonderful this whole experience has been. 2019 I discovered you after Emma expressed interest in a peace Corp experience. To send my kids on a trip like this gave me a panic attack AND pure excitement.

I did an optometry mission trip to Honduras as a student. The joy, good hard work, bonding, experiencing and appreciating a different culture, the beauty, the non tourist life changing experiences, I wanted this for Ben and emma. And they got it!

I saw it in the blog pictures, in all the kids. And heard it in the many accounts of the trip. They cried in the last night. Likely a release of such an emotional trip. But also they will miss all their new friends in the hosts, mentors, and peers.

Thank you to all that made this happen. Your passion, dedication, time, personal communication, foresight, planning, April Fools joke! All of it. Thank you so very much.

I cried reading the last blog. Tears of so many positive emotions.

And Delta unaccompanied minor program ended up being a God send.

Bless you all.

Wendy and Josh Arrington

karen

Parent review

My daughter returned from Costa Rica saying it was the best experience ever. She had to travel out of the country on her own and handled flight delays coming back. She built strong friendships with all the other attendees and they are already planning reunions. They helped out with children in the community but also learned many new activities including surfing, zip lining, white water rafting. They did cooking lessons, dancing lessons. The facilities were also reported to me as being very nice and there was a special cook who offered a wide range of food. We ran into no problems except the reto4 hour flight delay but that worked out fine in the end. I would highly recommend this program and we already told our younger son that he can go somewhere through GLA when he is the same age.

Natalie

GLA Costa Rica- Beachside service Adventure

I had the best 10 days of my life on this trip! It was not nearly long enough and I'm going back with GLA for 21 days this year. Costa Rica is a beautiful country that GLA does an amazing job of showing to it's students. We learned so much about the culture and how to respect the way of life while there. One of my favorite lessons learned was responsible voluntourism. My service project was to help a local elementary school with a garden and murals. We cleaned out a patch in their back yard area then built garden beds. We also talked to the students about what they wanted on their walls then painted sustainability themed murals. My personal favorite activity was playing soccer with the most beautiful backdrop with local kids. Back at home base after long service days we learned lessons about leadership and service. Meals were eaten outside under the stars or on the balcony overlooking the beach. The nightly "taste of Costa Rica" dish allowed us to sample the local cuisine. Though I was there for just 10 days I made amazing friends and memories to last a lifetime.

What was your funniest moment?
One day at my service site while painting we heard a swell of noise from the tree behind the school. The child next to me said "monos". I was on my feet running for the tree before I could think. Within the limited Spanish I could remember from school the word for monkey was still in my vocabulary. My friends rushed around me and we stared at about 15 monkeys in the tree. There was even a baby clinging to its mother. I was speechless. Though the moment was more amazing than funny to us GLA students the students at escuela paraiso though it was funny. The monkeys was a weekly occurrence for them whereas all i get to see at school is birds and the occasional squirrel. With the children laughing around me and the monkeys screeching above me I realized how amazing it was that I was able to experience this different life in another country.