Summer and Spring Break Volunteer Programs in Costa Rica

Summer and Spring Break Volunteer Programs in Costa Rica

Five unique ecosystems, one adventure. Come join us in Costa Rica to volunteer and learn first hand about conservation. GLA offers multiple Service Learning Adventures in Costa Rica, from animal and environmental conservation, to language immersion, sports, and children programs.

• Spring Break Sea Turtle Initiative: Turn your passion for wildlife conservation into an adventure you'll never forget.
• Animal Rescue Project: Rescue and rehabilitate abandoned and injured animals.
• Spanish Service Adventure: Improve your Spanish skills.
• The Initiative for Children: Take on projects that benefit local youth.
• Empowering Rainforest Communities™: Empower communities that depend on the rainforest to thrive.
• Protecting the Pacific: Volunteer on the Pacific coast.
• Surf & Sports Service Adventure: Share your passion for sports and make a difference.
• The Sea Turtle Initiative: Get up-close and person

North America » Costa Rica

Includes: All meals and purified water, Lodging in GLA Home-Base, All excursions and activities, 24-hour emergency hotline, Airport Transportation, Local Transportation, Pre-departure Orientation, Travel, medical and evacuation insurance, Phone call home upon arrival.

This program is incredible! I was able to attend it this past summer and it gave me a whole new perspective. Some tips on saving up for the trip is to start a "Go fund me" account and asking relatives to donate money toward that for birthdays or other holidays instead of giving gifts. Also, I've started putting half of my pay checks into a savings account, which adds up really quickly! If you have...
While in Costa Rica, I felt extremely safe and so did everyone in my group! We were immediately welcomed into the country by our mentors and we found them easily after getting off the plane. In both of the places we stayed, everyone was extremely friendly and confident in what they were doing. Our trip was well planned and organized as well. I never doubted that I was safe which allowed me (and th...
In my program, there were 14 girls. Although I was initially worried that there were only girls in my group, it made the trip even better! We had an amazing dynamic and all of us immediately bonded. By the end of the trip, it felt as if I had known those girls my entire life -- not just two weeks. We felt like sisters and there were many tears when we said goodbye. However, we still talk almost ev...
In Spanish and Service in the Osa we rotated through different projects. We painted the bleachers, helped dig the foundation for a basketball court, organize their library, help to brighten up and plant in their school's garden, and my personal favorite paint a large map of the world (as most of their maps were a little outdated). Not even the overwhelming heat could bring us down we were having s...

brittney
LA county

My experience as a leader

The global leadership adventures is a beyond extraordinary program. I am 17 years old in high school and I wanted to go out and do something new I came upon the program as a basic ad lurking on social medias. I spent hours roaming their website from looking to videos, blogs, and pictures. I decided to enroll into the beachside service program in Costa Rica, Global leadership adventures helped step by step they even had checklist for me ! This team made my experience breath taking, I met people from all over the world, learned to be more independent, and I even keep in contact with my mentor. If anyone is looking to travel abroad I would highly recommend global leadership adventures. The trip impacted my life in so many ways I see the world differently I interact with people differently even myself I learned to be more open and willing in many situations. On GLA trips they make you feel like your at home!

Maisy
Massachusetts

GLA BSA was awesome!!!

Over the summer I traveled with Global Leadership Adventures to Costa Rica where we stayed for 10 days and did so many fun activities and meaningful service. We were located in Parrita and we worked at a local school and built a playground out of painted tires. Seeing the children happily playing was so life-changing and I am so lucky I was able to help. In Costa Rica I made so many wonderful friends that I still am close with today. Despite being nervous traveling alone to a foreign country, everyone made me feel so comfortable and all my nerves disappeared. The staff at GLA were so helpful and always answered any questions we had. The activities we did were so incredibly fun and thrilling, from zip lining to horse back riding to white water rafting we did such cool adventures. My choice to travel to Costa Rica with GLA was the best decision of my life and my trip was unforgettable.

Since there was 64 people in my group I was unable to connect with everyone. Maybe decreasing the max amount of people per trip!

Miranda
Texas

Beachside Service Adventure

This past summer, I went to Costa Rica with Global Leadership Adventures. My program was called Beachside Service Adventure and consisted of 10 days in Parrita. There were about 60 people in my group (mostly girls only like 10 boys) and we were split up into mentor groups of like 8-10 ish.

M y group worked with a startup plant nursery which was amazing. We worked with two locals, Nicholas and Mau who's nursery it was, and spent our service time basically hardcore gardening in the rainforest. One day we were clearing the land for the nursery and we got to be super cool with machetes and hack through the jungle brush which was awesome. Other groups did stuff like paint a mural at a school, build a tire playground, plant trees at a farm, build a garden at a school, etc.

One of my favorite parts was our nightly mentor group talks. Since gla does focus a lot on leadership we did discussion groups about leadership in our lives and how we can be a leader in our community and we talked about globalization and the relationship between developed/developing countries and some economics so it was really cool to get kinda a crash course foreign policy and how it applies to us kinda thing. And we totally had to open our minds to new ideas which was cool

Honestly the best part was just being immersed in the culture like eating rice and beans and drinking pineapple juice we ate SO MUCH fruit it was amazing

I thought the GLA people were really cool like every program has to have a native who works as an advisor so we actually had two: one woman who has just finished up in the peace corps and one woman who was from Parrita. They were really organized like being at the airport was stressful at first but once you find the GLA people they take care of you the whole time which was great and my parents weren't stressed at all

I would recommend on program length so I did a 10 day but I would recommend the 14 day ones just cause I really started to form close bonds right as we left and didn't really get the chance to develop those friendships. If you have any interest in the peace corps or mission work it's so great cause a lot of the staff did the peace corps or at least extensive volunteering so you get tons of cool people to ask lots of questions.

If you're nervous about doing GLA I'd definitely recommend the programs in Latin America/Caribbean. I know my parents were a lot happier knowing I was in the same time zone and it was easy to call me and my flight wasn't too bad. Plus it's less of a culture shock than, say, Thailand. I would definitely say whatever program you do, find someone who did that one before because there were a lot of confusing things just cause they can only fit so much in a brochure.

One of the lasting effects of GLA on my life is I feel a lot more down to earth and focused on nature and being in the present and I worry way less about social media or texting or television now which is nice.

-Miranda Wilson, GLA Ambassador

Caroline
Tampa, Florida

La Pura Vida

This past summer I had the privilege to travel to Costa Rica on the "Beachside Service Adventure" program with Global Leadership Adventures. From the moment I stepped on my plane in Miami to when I stepped back onto American soil, the experience was truly incredible. The adventures were so much fun: zip-lining over the jungle was awesome- so was kayaking through the Atlantic, and there was always opportunity for adventure living steps from the beach and with monkeys (literally) in our back yard. However, the best part of my trip were the relationships I established: I became incredibly close with several other teens on the trip and developed touching relationships with several Costa Ricans involved in our service activity. The ten days I spent in Costa Rica were some of the best ten days of my life and not only would I recommend a Global Leadership Adventures program to another student, I hope to go on another one myself!

Alyssa

Global Leadership Adventures Costa Rica

My experience in Costa Rica was absolutely amazing. I have changed so much as a person in that I am more open minded and open to trying new things. My experience was made phenomenal because I connected with so many wonderful people. Since GLA I have been more 'go with the flow' (Pura Vida) and certainly have a new perspective on the world around me. I understand that living simply can still yield happiness. My favorite memory was at a bread making class in which it started down pouring as it typically does in the rainforest. Instead of running for cover, Costa Rican children came outside and splashed around with us in the mud to Latin music. This moment was truly eye opening to what is truly important.

Nathalie
The Netherlands

Review of GLA Costa Rica the Beachside Service Adventure

This summer I spent 10 days in Parrita Costa Rica with Global Leadership Adventures on the Beachside Service Adventure and the experience was beyond words. I definitely left a piece of my heart in the community of Parrita in Costa Rica and they have taught me so much more than I could have ever imagined. Being able to challenge myself and gain skills through service, activities like ziplining and horseriding, the leadership curriculum and putting myself out of my comfort zone has been unforgettable and truly life changing as it has helped me grow as a person. For my service project I worked on painting a mural at a school called Sardinal Sur and sometimes it was challenging because we had to paint in the rain and a lot of our hard work got ruined however we all banded together to fix it and make it the best it could be. Originally it was mentioned that we may not be able to finish in 10 days however we outdid ourselves and got so much done, seeing the children's faces looking at our mural on the last day of service was so rewarding and made everything worth it. I would highly recommend this trip if you are considering going on it or any other GLA trip because the company is great and I never felt unsafe so dont be worried.

We had such a big program size and so you are split into smaller groups and because of that some people I didn't get to really talk to or interact with, which was unfortunate. Also 10 days was more like 8 because of your arrival and departure day.

Jessica

The initiative for children

This was the most incredible 2 weeks of my life. I was terrified as I was 16 and going totally by myself but it was so incredible. I soon realized that almost everyone that goes on trips with Global Leadership Adventures goes without friends or siblings and I felt so much better. I felt 100% safe at all times while on my trip. All of the work we did was incredible and I felt like I bonded with the kids so much although I felt like 2 weeks was not enough at all and wished I had chosen the 3 week trip. I met 6 incredible girls that I now consider to be my best friends and I will be flying across the country to visit them in just a few months; that's how strong the friendships you make with Global Leadership Adventures can be. I still have cards and pictures given to me by the kids I taught in Costa Rica. I will be going on another trip with Global Leadership Adventures this summer for even longer because of how much I loved the Initiative for Children!

The packing list can be improved

Lisa
Massachusetts
University of Rhode Island

14 day Animal Rescue Program

My daughter did the 14 day Animal Rescue program in Costa Rica this past summer. It took me time to agree to her traveling alone but we found a friend that had actually done a trip and she spoke very highly of the program.
Jules had the best experience. The staff were attentive and knowledgeable. The service part was something that my daughter enjoyed since it was ultimately helping dogs. The other kids on the trip have become a part of my daughter's everyday life. Housing was a local inn so they had clean water and hot showers. Food was a mix of Costa Rican dishes and American choices.
My daughter felt safe at all times which was the most important thing to me.
I recommend GLA enough that my daughter is currently planning her trip for this upcoming summer.

Carly

Costa Rica: The Initiative for Children

My volunteer trip to Costa Rica with Global Leadership Adventures was nothing short of eye opening. The positive attitude of the people involved in my program was so inspiring. The community where I was volunteering was so happy that we could offer them help in rebuilding a better place for their children to learn and the children enjoyed having new people to kick around a soccer ball with. I found myself falling more and more in a euphoric state as Global Leadership Adventure helped me immerse myself in a new culture. Whether it be at the volunteer sight, at the beach or at a locals house, the opportunities that were given to me on this trip were surreal. The program helped me learn to appreciate what I do have instead of thriving for such materialistic things. I was able to learn about the true meaning of a pure life.

Grace

Best Trip Ever!!!

This was one of the best experiences of my entire life. It helped with both my growth as a person, a leader, and as a friend. Growing up I always wanted to travel and see the world and even help in out in my own way. Global Leadership Adventures made all of these things possible. From the second I touched down in San José to the second I left I felt welcomed, included, and important for the first time in a long time. We did so much community service that could change a lot of the townspeople's lives for a long time. While I was there, my group helped out at a local tree nursery, we built a scale model of a baby humpback whale completely out of plastic water bottle and we even did a couple of beach cleanups in the local marine park. That's not all we did while in Costa Rica. We also went on a bunch of adventures. We went zip lining, surfing, hiking, and we even took a day trip to Corcovado national park on the Osa Peninsula. I would definitely recommend either this or any trip that GLA has to offer. The mentors were so helpful at every activity, they were definitely a big part of why my trip was so enjoyable. The food was amazing and our home base was so beautiful. Every aspect of my trip was incredible and I fully recommend trying a service trip abroad. I know for a fact I will be going on another one very soon.

The only thing I can think of that could be improved is the amount of speakers we had at our group meeting. I wish there had been more speakers to teach us more about the culture in the town we were staying in.

Julia
USA

Best experience of my life!

My trip to Costa Rica was truly an amazing experience. I did the 14 day animal rescue program so I got to work with lot of the strays from Costa Rica at a local no kill shelter. As much as we help the dogs and their living conditions, we also had lots of fun! The staff and students made all of the service hours a blast. We also got to experience lots of other fun activities like zip lining, hot springs, , seeing the waterfalls, coffee tours, and touring San Jose. Those are just some of the awesome things we were able to do. You also get to learn a bunch of things about the Costa Rican community. The bonds you create with the students and staff are incredible and I can't wait to go back next summer! The staff are exceptional and it was very safe. This trip has made me look at everything in a different way and it truly made me a better person. I recommend Global Leadership Adventures for any teenager who wants to make a difference in the world, and wants to have lots of fun!

This program is amazing! I would not want to change anything about my experience!

Jack
USA

Global Leadership Adventures - Truly Life Changing!

Global Leadership Adventures, or GLA, is incomparable to any other program. Every staff member is always there for you, especially your mentors. All of the mentors are very supportive and kind hearted people. When I got back home, the first thing I said to my mom and dad was, "Can I do another next year?" Everyday we woke so excited to scarf down our delicious breakfast and head out into the jungle to join the smiling faces of the locals. I will never forget these 10 days, the best 10 days of my life.

They can plan better at the airport, so that people don't have to wait or other flights. However, during that time waiting, you can connect with the mentors and other kids.

Britton
Virginia

GLA - Initiative for Children Costa Rica

This program was amazing! I met so many awesome people from the other students, to the staff, to the community members - everyone helped make it such a memorable trip. It was incredibly well organized, especially compared to some other programs that my friends have gone on. It was definitely unique in the sense that it felt like a trip where the community was helping the community and not a bunch of foreigners helping a less fortunate community.

Phoebe
Connecticut

Life-changing

I went to Costa Rica on the Beachside Service Adventure this past summer and have come back with new insight, views, values, and an abundance of incredible memories. Not only do Global Leadership Adventure trips involve students giving back to those in need, but you also get to meet amazing people, experience and learn a new culture, and grow as an individual. The impact you make is extremely special and you will do good for yourself and more importantly, others. GLA has given me a life-changing experience that I will never forget.

Response from Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

Thank you for sharing your takeaways from your volunteering experience in Costa Rica. We're so glad you had an amazing time and made lifetime memories with GLA.

Rayya
Bloomfield

The best experience!

I am so happy I stumbled across Global Leaderships one day. I have always wanted to do a service opportunity abroad but my parents are very hesitant towards it as most are. My parents talked to the GLA staff over the phone and they reassured them I was going to be in a safe environment wherever I went. I am a shy girl, but everyone on my trip was so nice and at the end of the ten days I felt as though I had known everyone in my group for a while. Meeting the locals and how the lived and how happy they were made me fall in the love Costa Rica and how beautiful the country was. It definitely made me a more humble, appreciative, and optimistic person. One of the best decisions I've ever made was going to Costa Rica through Global Leadership adventures.

Natalie
Union, KY

The Most Amazing Trip Ever.

Global Leadership Adventures Costa Rica Beachside Adventure program was one of the biggest eyeopeners I've ever experienced. I know, lot of parents are concerned, thinking "Is it safe? Is it clean? Is it fun?" YES! " Is it a scam?". No, it is not. It is a life changing, leader building, intensely beautiful program that I wish every teen could experience. Playa del Coco Week One (our group) was such a fun, goofy, pure group. The mentors were amazing, l appreciate the love and passion they set forth. We would take walks on the beach, shop, tour around, and much more fun. But, our service projects... they were hard. (Good! But wow!) My group helped start to build a bridge. A bridge! We met so many beautiful people, from the US and Costa Rica. Global Leadership Adventures, you hold a special place in my heart. THANK YOU!

Make the picture MB size just a little bigger

Response from Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

Thanks for sharing your thoughts both on your volunteering experience and on GLA. We're glad you were satisfied with the pre-departure assistance we provided as well as your experience in Costa Rica.

Lindsay
Sunnyvale

Life-changing experience: Costa Rica Beachside Service

I went on the beachside service adventure program in Costa Rica this summer, and it was an amazing experience. I was assigned to a service project that involved helping a community build a bridge so the children's walk to school would be more than cut in half, as the river we helped build a bridge over swelled up in the rainy season. The trip changed my perspective, and I went without knowing anyone else, so it really pushed me out of my comfort zone. I got to play basketball with local teenagers, go swimming in the ocean at sunset, make new friends, try to make costa Rican style art, visit an animal sanctuary, a natural hot springs, and so much more. Everyone on the staff was so kind, on one of the last nights they all shared personal stories about how they ended up volunteering abroad, and they were all so inspiring.

Terri
Sunnyvale

For the parents

Sending my 16 year old daughter out of the country on her own (without knowing anyone who would be there) was a daunting and slightly terrifying experience. Yet, she wanted to go so badly. She wanted to "see the world" and do some good for others. We did our research and settled on Global Leadership Adventures, a 10 day trip to costa Rica.

It was a growth experience for all of us. We learned to let go and trust others to take care of our chid (which they did wonderfully). She grew in countless ways- independence, maturity, empathy, seeing a hard days work pay off (they helped build a bridge to shorten the walk to school for local children). She saw the world from a whole new perspective, met interesting and caring people, had adventures and gained valuable experiences she never would have staying close to home.

After she returned, she was so excited to share her experiences and we were so glad we made the decision to let her go. We highly recommend GLA and the volunteering abroad experience.

Response from Global Leadership Adventures (GLA)

Thank you for trusting GLA! Safety continues to be our #1 priority so parents like you can have peace of mind while students go abroad to volunteer, pursue new passions and develop their leadership skills.

Isabel
Lynbrook, NY

Global Leadership Adventures (Costa Rica-Beachside Service)

This was the first service trip I've ever done and the first time I've traveled out of the country by myself. Although the experience was daunting, this was the most rewarding experience I've ever been able to take a part in. Global Leadership Adventures though of each detail to a tee and the service was equally as exciting as the excursions. We spent long days mixing concrete and painting benches but the service was all so worthwhile and afterwards we were rewarded with dips in the gorgeous ocean across from our home base. The best part of the trip however was the people I met, without this trip I don't think I would have ever been able to meet people as special as the ones I met. And the best part was that we were able to make lasting memories with one another like snorkeling, horse back riding and jumping off rocks near a gorgeous waterfall. I am still friends with most of the people from the trip and I am so thankful to the program for bringing them into my life.

Personally the only way this program would have been better for me is if it were longer! Luckily though, Global Leadership Adventures has numerous other programs around the world for longer times.

Sophie
Blacksburg, Virginia

Spanish and Service in the Osa- Coolest Trip I've Ever Been On!

When I asked my mom this past summer if I could go to a Spanish language camp, I expected I would be going to classes at my local college for a week. So when she found this Global Leadership Adventures program, we were both ecstatic. I was so nervous because I had never traveled alone before or to a Spanish speaking country. I really shouldn't have been because it was the smoothest traveling experience I've ever had. GLA finds flights for you and has a representative meet you at the airport so there is nothing to worry about. As soon as I met the staff, I was instantly welcomed along with the other students. Throughout the two weeks session they were kind and attentive, but they also gave me responsibilities and challenged my skills to help my Spanish. The most amazing part of this trip however, was the connection I made with the community. Every single day I got to live among the residents of the beautiful Rancho Quemado. These were the happiest, warmest, most generous people I have ever met. They were extremely patient with me as I struggled to be grammatically correct and included me in every conversation and game of soccer. Although the community service I did left an impact on the community, they left a much bigger impact on me. I learned to incorporate more gratitude into my daily life, to enjoy the little things. I still think of the friends I made every day. Not to mention I am now the smartest student in my Spanish class!

Although we did receive a Spanish lesson at the beginning of the trip, it would have been a little more useful if it was more formal.

Anya
Glen Ellyn, Illinois

GLA Spanish and Service in the Osa: A Life Changing Trip!

My time in Rancho Quemado was unforgettable and life-changing. I went in to the two weeks by myself not knowing what to expect, but from the second I walked out of the airport in San Jose I was immediately greeted with great enthusiasm and excitement from the mentors. This program really stood out to me in that Rancho Quemado reached out to GLA for help rather than the other way around, the way it often is. From this, I truly felt accepted by the community. We were living in their hostels, hiking on their trails, eating their food, and learning about their culture: all of which they were ecstatic to show us. One of my highlights of the trip was playing in the towns daily "majengas", or street soccer games. This really allowed me to communicate with the village members, from 2 year olds to 60 year olds. Other than the community service aspect of the trip with building a library and helping with a garden and recycling project, we learned and improved our knowledge of sustainable tourism and its importance as well as Spanish. This trip and the people I met along the way (from the US and Costa Rica!) has impacted me to become more appreciative of the world and its people. I would 100% suggest this trip to anyone wanting to learn Spanish, support a community, and to have an amazing time doing so.

This is not controllable but you are in the middle of the rain forest, so pack bug spray accordingly!

Emma
Durango

Costa Rica Experience

When I came across GLA online the first thing that stood out to me was the emphasis on connections with the local community that you would be spending your time with. This was one of the most important things to me when choosing a program. Besides that the idea of visiting the Osa Peninsula was new and unique and appealed to me in every way. The preparation for the trip felt very organized and there were contacts always available to answer any questions my family or I had about the trip. The travel went smoothly and I was promptly met with a mentor at the airport. Throughout my time spent in Costa Rica I felt fully supported by every mentor, always felt safe, and most of all was able to build life long friendships and create incredible memories. The program's strong emphasis on Spanish, service, and community relationships was able to motivate students to put themselves out of their comfort zones and learn to their greatest ability. The most valuable thing for me was that everyone on the trip or living in the town was passionate about learning of new cultures and interacting with brand new people. I learned more Spanish and was able to gain new work ethic during the community service portion of the trip. Overall my trip to Costa Rica opened my eyes and changed my life. I am coming out of the experience with amazing friends and I will never forget the incredible experience.

The only thing that could be adjusted was the fact that we were doing service only with your living groups, although spending time with them was great it would have been fun to do service as a whole program to have the opportunity to work with other people as well.

Nicole
Garden City, NY

Best 10 days of my life!

During the summer of 2015, my friend and I went on the GLA Costa Rica Beachside Service Adventure for 10 days. This was one of the most amazing things I have ever done and I will never forget this experience. When I went, I did travel with my friend but you really don't need to. So many people came alone and everyone became so close so fast that it didn't even matter who came with who. I met people that I know I will keep in touch with for a long time and we still meet up and talk all the time. Advice I would give to people who are thinking about this trip is to show up with an open mind and be ready to try different things because I am from NY and the culture there is so different. Also, you really don't need as many clothes as you think you do so there is no need to overpack. The only thing I would say to bring extra of is T-shirts. During service they might get dirty and since there is no wash your best bet would be to have extras. I would definitely say to bring granola bars with you or just foods to snack on because sometimes after service or during free time I would get really hungry. Although I can't pick one favorite part of my trip, I would have to say two of my favorite things I did were the zip lining on one of the adventure days, and going into the town and experiencing the culture. When I was there it was Guanacaste's Independence Day so there was a HUGE festival going on in the heart of the town so that was so much fun. Overall, the mentors are the coolest people you will ever meet and they always have an answer to your questions. If you leave something at home they will find a way to get what you need or you can borrow from someone else because the environment is so kind and caring and everyone is nice to one another. I would 100% recommend this trip! You will make memories for a life time.

I loved every part of this trip and I wouldn't change a thing.

Maria
Norman, Oklahoma

Protecting the Pacific

last summer I volunteered abroad global leadership adventures protecting the pacific program in costa rica and I'd have to say it was one if not the best experience I've ever had, I learned so much and met so many incredible people I will never forget, Costa Rica is absolutely beautiful and the people are extremely nice, it really was the best summer. I'm looking forward to volunteering abroad Global Leadership Adventures agin soon.

the length, it was too short I wish I could have stride longer.

Maisy
Illinois

Global Leadership Adventures is an excellent organization.

My service trip to Costa Rica through Global Leadership Adventures was for ocean conservation. One of our days was spent doing half a day of beach service and then the other half learning how to surf. After cleaning up the beach and working to prevent erosion, which was much fun and informative in itself, we got to try an exciting activity that was new for most of us: surfing. Being able to be in the Pacific and surf was an indescribable experience and the surfing instructors were passionate and excited about their jobs, which made the experience that much more fun for us. I think that dual-day of service and fun really describes Global Leadership Adventures; it's a program that is all about being passionate about service, but also about experiencing cultures of different countries. Any trip with GLA is one of a lifetime that will leave you with lasting phenomenal memories.

Lauren
Boston, Massachusetts

Life Changing Trip to Costa Rica

I went on Global Leadership Adventures Initiative for Children, in Costa Rica and it change my perspective on everything. It broaden my perspective on how others in the world. I was able to see first hand how volunteering helped people. I gained a new respect for nature and the country of Costa Rica. Because of this amazing program I take the "Pura Vida" lifestyle everywhere I go. I have gained amazing friendships with people from all over. I have done things I never would have imagined from hiking to a beautiful waterfall, zip lining over tree tops, to surfing on the gorgeous Costa Rican coast. GLA is an amazing opportunity, I encourage everyone to seize it.

The program was awesome. I have no changes.

Tess
Hawaii

An Awe-Inspiring Experience In Costa Rica

I went on this trip not having any clue as to what to expect. It was the first time this program (Spanish & Service in the Osa) had ever been done before. How could I have possibly known I was about to have the most incredible experience of my life? Everyone on the trip was lively on friendly, including the mentors. Their role may have been mentors but we were all enjoying the new and exciting scenery and adventures equally; as it was their first time seeing all of the things as well. The people in the town welcomed us with open arms and were very understanding of our developing spanish skills. Enjoying the culture of Rancho Quemado and eating the local cuisine was one of my favorite parts. Our time doing community service made me feel helpful and put me in touch with some of the needs of smaller communities. In addition to our everyday community service and tours to parts of the area, we took a weekend excursion that was amazing! We kayaked up a river, swam to our hike, hiked to multiple waterfalls, and then it began to rain making the experience a thousand times better. Being in the rainforest in Costa Rica, standing next to a waterfall while water pours down is what I consider a perfect moment.

There were a ton of mosquitos, unfortunately that aspect is uncontrollable. Instead I offer the advice of bringing a lot of bug spray, for any trip to Costa Rica.

Elizabeth
Akron, Ohio

A Truly Life-changing Experience

GLA allowed me to have a rare life changing experience; the two weeks I spent in Costa Rica were the most amazing and genuinely unforgettable weeks I have ever had. My eyes were opened to another country and I was totally immersed in its culture and language. We actually got to know the locals as we helped rebuild their schools and reforest their land, forming real relationships with them. The service projects we participated in had remarkable effects on the community and feels so good to know that we had a positive impact. At the end of my program, one man spoke to a group of us and generously thanked us for everything we did; it was a heartwarming experience I will remember forever. I also formed strong friendships with all of the other teens who were in Costa Rica with me. In fact, we still talk almost every day. Within only a few days, it felt as if all of us had known each other for weeks. Without GLA, I never would have met such strong leaders who helped challenge me to develop my own leadership skills. Our mentors were also one of the highlights of the trip. We talked daily about how this experience affected our previous beliefs and we were given a great amount of instruction, advice, and guidance from our mentors.
From playing on the beaches to zip lining upside down through the rainforest to planting hundreds of trees, I learned myself as well as our planet while in Costa Rica and these experiences have affected my life in more ways than I ever though they could. I am so grateful I had this opportunity and wish I could relive the entire experience!

Sunaina
Oak Park, California

GLA Csta Rica Sports Adventure

GLA Costa Rica sports adventure trip was one of the best trips I have ever taken. The program provided top of the line housing and staff. I met so many people that I know will be life long friends. Experiencing the culture and meeting the locals was life changing. It changed my whole perspective of the world.

Ethan
Navarre, Florida

GLA Spanish Service Adventure

My adventure in Costa Rica was, without a doubt, one of the best experiences in my life. The three weeks were a perfectly constructed concoction of work, education, and fun(don't worry, they were mainly fun). Almost every weekday involved work early in the morning with the community. Sometimes the work was hard, but it was extremely fulfilling and it was never boring. We planted coffee plants, fertilized the land they were grown in, made bokashi(manure), mixed cement to make sidewalks and stairways, and stuffed eco-bricks. Every day, after lunch, the moms from the communities would make us delicious, authentic Costa Rican food. Usually we would return to home base for Spanish lessons- and several times these were held in the city, so we could unleash our newly learned Spanish skills on the natives. There were group activities every night that made sure we were introduced quickly and were all close friends within days. Every weekend, we were given a break from Spanish lessons and the community work and were instead taken on awesome excursions. The trip definitely changed my view on the world and was a great way to spend part of my summer, I wish there had been a way to extend my stay.

My only regret about the trip was having to leave all of the people I had grown so fond of during my stay and knowing I wouldn't see many of them again.

I honestly can't think of any way to improve upon the experience.

With a history and heritage in global education, Global Leadership Adventures packs our itineraries with leadership development, volunteering and the delight of taking learning off the beaten path. Our unique program design produces what many students call a life-changing experience, not just a spring break