View Other Details
From Carnaval, one of the world's most famous celebrations, to the ever-present fútbol culture, Brazil never fails to excite all the senses. It is the largest, most populous, and only Portuguese-speaking country in Latin America. It is a land of diversity, present in its Amazon rainforest, beaches, cities, and people, including indigenous peoples and people of Portuguese, European, and African ancestries.
You'll easily make friends, since Brazilians love to share their culture and learn about others. You will be invited to join in soccer matches, traditional dances, festivals, street parades, guitar gatherings, barbecues, parties at the beach, and much more. If you're up for a challenge, try your hand at capoeira, the 400-year-old Afro-Brazilian art form that combines martial arts, music, dance, and ritual. Brazil is an ideal place to step outside of your comfort zone, become a cultural insider, and engage in an exciting new adventure.
- Immerse yourself in Portuguese – the best way to become fluent.
- Live with a host family to deepen your immersion and connection to Brazilian culture. If you’re like most AFSers, you won’t want to leave this second family and home.
- Learn Samba dancing, a mix of African rhythms and European-style singing.
- Make connections and memories you'll never forget with other AFS exchange students from all over the world.
- Become a global citizen. Gain intercultural communication skills. Build your college and career resume. Help create a more peaceful, understanding world.
AFS-USA Grants & Scholarships
The opportunity to study abroad should be available to everyone, regardless of their financial means. Annually, we award scholarships to about half of our study abroad students.