ActionQuest: Summer Adventure Program in British Virgin Islands

Participants to the ActionQuest Summer Adventure Program in British Virgin Islands will have the opportunity to live aboard a sailing yacht in a small group of 12 of similar age to learn life-changing lessons, build connections and experience the confidence of succeeding as an individual and as a team. In addition, by learning introductory marine biology, water skiing, seamanship, navigation, wake boarding, windsurfing, participants also have the opportunity to earn internationally recognized certifications in sailing and scuba diving.

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 9.8
Kelly

2019 experience

Our daughter had an incredible time on this trip! I liked this program of course for this reason, but also because she learned several new skills and the updates that we were given routinely made it easy for us to visualize her daily experiences. I like the level of the responsibilities that the teens had for helping with meals and taking care of the boat and also the lack of time they had with their phones. (no social media for several days at a time is so healthy) I would definitely recommend this to any par4ent that wants their teens. oday, for many teens, there are so many pressures on them to conform to what our culture believes makes a successful adolescent (sports, ACT prep, good grades....). Not to mention all of the other pressures that come from just being a teenager in an age of social media. This is a great outlet that allows and encourages young people to do something different, to come together with kids from different areas with different backgrounds, to learn new skills and learn how to respect and care for our oceans, and also to learn to independently and confidently experience something new. This is not just a fun camp experience for your teenager. They are learning valuable skills. They are expected to be particpating member of the team and everyone is encouraged to take on leadership roles at one point or another. I highly recommend this program.

Rachel

Phenomenal!

This is a quote from my 14 year old son who was on the Vega trip June 2019:

It was completely and utterly fantastic and it was one of the best 3 weeks of my life.

It was such a pleasure to send our son on a trip in which he had experiences we could never give him, and learned things we could never teach him. He made new friends, enjoyed his counselors, and loved the opportunity to learn new skills and have fun. It was a dream of a trip - I wish we adults could do it too!

This site wants us to write quite a long review, so I will just add one more quote: One afternoon while speaking to our son I asked him if he was sleeping well at night. He replied, "Well, I go to bed in my hammock on deck and wake up in the morning next to big yachts. So yes, I'm sleeping well!"

Everything was very well organized and well supervised. Keep up the good work!
Amelia

Excellent Teen Scuba adventure!

Signing up was a breeze, when I called all the people I talked to knew what they were talking about. The travel agent, Leah was especially helpful. Loved the smiley faces on portal for what needed to be done. Our son came back more confident and mature. With having to do things out of his usual box, he learned new skills, made new friends and had a great time. Great diving, our son did the Neptune and received his Advanced Open Water Padi and 5 other specialty diving certifications. So at 16 he is well on his way to being a Master Diver. He really enjoyed the crew, meeting new friends, and trying new food. He really didn't want to come home and is looking forward in the future to go back and do the Rescue Diver course. I just wish they did a program for adults!

Absolutely nothing. From meeting the teens at the airport and getting them onboard, to excellent crew, everything was very well organized.
Charles

AQ "SEAS THE DAY"

Our 17 yr old son came back to us a changed young man. He matured in many ways, from his diet, to his speech, and how he spoke to others. He has commented many times on how must fun he had and that it has helped him be better prepared for college. He has gained more confidence in himself and what he expects out of himself. From the moment he returned, we noticed a significant difference in his mannerisms and interactions. To this day, he has not stopped talking about his time spent with AQ in the BVI. From his flight out to his time spent on the boat, to his return, we felt completely comfortable with AQ's system. Excellent communication, action pictures and updates were very helpful to us. We could see it in his smile and his eyes, how much fun he was having. As parents, we highly recommend AQ.

Good question. I would say.
Don't stop doing what you do.
Hope

An Amazing Experience!

Action Quest is an amazing program that allows students to challenge themselves on a daily basis in every aspect from the diving, sailing, and even living in close quarters with others. Living on a boat and having to take on responsibilities is something you can't find at typical summer camps. It helps students gain a better sense of the world, people, and themselves! Summer at Action Quest is something I can never stop thinking about. The programs are so much fun. Although they do come with their challenges and sometimes your boat goes through rough patches, at the end of the day the low moments are what you learn from and are what make the high ones more memorable. Overall, it is something I would recommend to anyone looking for a fun adventure and a way to get out of there comfort zone!

What was the most nerve-racking moment and how did you overcome it?
Climbing to the tallest rock in the Baths was an insane experience and I would never have gotten to the top without the help of my shipmates.
Marc

A Must Go for an Amazing Experience!

My daughter had an awesome experience learning, exploring and engaging. The staff and adventurers (students) were supportive and attentive to each other delivering an outstanding, safe program. As parents, the blogs gave a glimpse or snapshot into an amazing daily log from the student's point of view. It was a true affirmation of their awesome experience vs a filtered or marketing polished story. It was really appreciated. I highly recommend this program for an experience of a lifetime!

Rylee

Experiences instead of things!

“​Experiences are essential in helping our children successfully maneuver through life. This program is the poster child for this ideology. There was not one "thing" I could have gotten my daughter that would have replaced this experience. In addition--sign up, payments, flight booking, etc. was so smooth and everyone was very helpful. Living in New Mexico made the flights a little tricky, but it all went perfectly. I do not know of any disciplinary or medical emergencies. I expect bumps, bruises, and maybe a spat or two. It appears my daughter was on "The Love Boat" so they seemed to have worked all that out. I love, love, love the blog and Facebook updates. We all lived vicariously through her for those 17 days. It is a great way to update parents and I am guessing makes those who want phone calls more relaxed."

Would love Actionquest to link to some internships for those students who have graduated out of the program age-wise.
jim

growing up

“Overall experience, from planning to return, was excellent. As rookie parents, my wife and I felt guided throughout the preparation stages and had any questions answered quickly. During the trip, we were updated with the blog as well as timed calls from my son. Both resources acted as guideposts to his development on the trip. He went from shy and homesick to confident and relaxed. At no point did I doubt this to be the end result. There is no better example of my son's experience than the group photo from day one where he's holding his head in his hand and not looking at the camera to the waning days where he's flying off the rope swing mid-flip. We are so proud that he conjured the fortitude to endure his homesickness (first camp and in the Caribbean no-less) and grow as a person. I applaud your staff for guiding this young man as this experience will have a lifelong effect. We really appreciate the cards written by counselors and fellow campers. This memento gives us a feel for the relationships developed and the impact the kids had on one another."