ActionQuest: Summer Adventure Program in British Virgin Islands

Participants to the ActionQuest Summer Adventure Program in British Virgin Islands will have the opportunity to live aboard a sailing yacht in a small group of 12 of similar age to learn life-changing lessons, build connections and experience the confidence of succeeding as an individual and as a team. In addition, by learning introductory marine biology, water skiing, seamanship, navigation, wake boarding, windsurfing, participants also have the opportunity to earn internationally recognized certifications in sailing and scuba diving.

• Program Selection 10
  • Pre-departure Help 10
  • In-program Support 10
  • Impact on Student 9.8
Marc

A Must Go for an Amazing Experience!

My daughter had an awesome experience learning, exploring and engaging. The staff and adventurers (students) were supportive and attentive to each other delivering an outstanding, safe program. As parents, the blogs gave a glimpse or snapshot into an amazing daily log from the student's point of view. It was a true affirmation of their awesome experience vs a filtered or marketing polished story. It was really appreciated. I highly recommend this program for an experience of a lifetime!

Rylee

Experiences instead of things!

“​Experiences are essential in helping our children successfully maneuver through life. This program is the poster child for this ideology. There was not one "thing" I could have gotten my daughter that would have replaced this experience. In addition--sign up, payments, flight booking, etc. was so smooth and everyone was very helpful. Living in New Mexico made the flights a little tricky, but it all went perfectly. I do not know of any disciplinary or medical emergencies. I expect bumps, bruises, and maybe a spat or two. It appears my daughter was on "The Love Boat" so they seemed to have worked all that out. I love, love, love the blog and Facebook updates. We all lived vicariously through her for those 17 days. It is a great way to update parents and I am guessing makes those who want phone calls more relaxed."

Would love Actionquest to link to some internships for those students who have graduated out of the program age-wise.
jim

growing up

“Overall experience, from planning to return, was excellent. As rookie parents, my wife and I felt guided throughout the preparation stages and had any questions answered quickly. During the trip, we were updated with the blog as well as timed calls from my son. Both resources acted as guideposts to his development on the trip. He went from shy and homesick to confident and relaxed. At no point did I doubt this to be the end result. There is no better example of my son's experience than the group photo from day one where he's holding his head in his hand and not looking at the camera to the waning days where he's flying off the rope swing mid-flip. We are so proud that he conjured the fortitude to endure his homesickness (first camp and in the Caribbean no-less) and grow as a person. I applaud your staff for guiding this young man as this experience will have a lifelong effect. We really appreciate the cards written by counselors and fellow campers. This memento gives us a feel for the relationships developed and the impact the kids had on one another."

Robert

Outstanding

“When I asked my daughter to rate Action Quest on a scale from 1 to 10 she gave it a 20. Additionally, I quizzed my daughter on sailing; I raced sailboats myself as a teen and young adult. She was well versed in sailing. Madison was having trouble understanding the material for diving, the instructors spent extra time with her so she understood and she came back excited about diving, and explained it all to me and my wife. The entire program is amazing and a life experance for the kids they will never forget; travel outside the country, diving, sailing, hiking, community service, taking cell phones away. Its all good"

Patrick

Gets kids out of their comfort zone!

Our daughter not only had an amazing time with incredible experiences but she learned a lot about herself. She's gained a new confidence and continues to have a more clear picture of where she's heading in the future. ​The blog was the best part for us. It helped us know she was doing great and having fun. What a relief! Our daughter has gained a lot of confidence and self-awareness as a result of the experience. ActionQuest does an incredible job of getting kids out of their comfort zone. Staff was great. Equipment was top notch!

Can't think of a thing!
Maggie

My Son's Amazing Trips with Action Quest for 2 Years in a Row!

“Our son just completed his 2nd year with AQ and loves the program. I believe that your Participant Portal is an excellent resource. During the program our son had a few difficult days and when I reached out to AQ - Travis was most helpful and a good listener and we came up with successful tactics in how to approach our son. Once he worked out his feelings - he got right back on track and Loved his trip!!! We love AQ for our son. We appreciate the independence he must muster and the team work that results from every participant working to a common goal.

AQ truly is responsive in wanting your child to have a lasting and memorable experience. AQ cannot over communicate. it is good to hear from the "Powers that be". I really liked that there was more service involved in the islands this year. I believe in "many helping hands make for light work!" I do believe that a few hours of service is critical to these participants to see that they need to give back too - they "take from the community and need to give back"

Monette

Perfect for Adventure-Seeking Teens

Have a teen that likes traditional camps but is ready for something more? Action Quest was just the right next step for my adventurous son.

The depth of the program and the way to teaches important life lessons within a program that is both fun and rewarding for the students. I find that both years my son attended, he returned with such huge emotional growth! I love that expectations are clear. I look forward to reading the blog the whole time he's gone. I especially appreciate that the kids write them. That is just another great example of Action Quest empowering the kids to take ownership of their experience! I can't even put into words the confidence and broadened world view my son has both times he's returned from an Action Quest trip.

On Action Quest trips, the kids learn new skills and gain valuable insights into who they are. My son went on his first trip thinking that scuba diving was going to be his passion. Turns out, he's a natural sailor. He fell in love with the sailing experience and chose the longer (Minerva) trip that sails to the West Indies this past summer. He was able to get his advanced sailing certificate just a few weeks after his 15th birthday! Can't wait to see which trip he'll pick next summer.

Misty

Proud Parent - Happy Teen

Professional operation from beginning to end! The process is extremely organized, honestly a well oiled machine. However, they have a unique way of making this adventure feel very personal and inclusive from the beginning. I chatted multiple times with several different staff members before the trip and every person gave me a greater level of comfort. The daily trip log is so engaging and great for family and friends to see what the campers are up to! My favorite thing about this entire experience was sitting with my son reading all the handwritten notes from their crew and staff members. I could tell he was proud to read them and truly felt apart of something very meaningful. What an emotional and perfect way to end an experience he will never forget! See you next year!

Sarah

Highly recommend!

My 13 year old daughter traveled with ActionQuest summer of 2017 in the BVIs. From the first inquiry to follow-up emails at the end of the trip, the communication was extremely forthcoming, patient and professional. It was an incredible experience for her and seemless for us, her parents. She joined AQ as a self-confident young woman but came home with an even stronger sense of self and confidence, knowing that not only did she achieve what she set out to achieve (Barracuda - Advanced Diving w/3 specialties and Marine Biology) but she could survive and enjoy herself for the nearly 3 weeks in tight quarters with 14 others of different levels of maturity and motivation. What a great life lesson that she will carry with her through the rest of her life.

The Staff (counselors) onboard are incredible and so well chosen for the challenge of living with 10-12 young teenagers of varying expereince and maturity. We couldn't have been more impressed by the quality of the individuals that are chosen by ActionQuest.

This is an outstanding program and I believe that this past summer will be the first of many with AQ. I plan to register her today for summer 2018. Highly, highly recommend ActionQuest!

Overall, this program was exceptional!
Molly

AQ

I have completed two trips with ActionQuest, in the summers of 2016 and 2017. I participated in the Neptune and Rescue programs, both are part of the "dive side" of ActionQuest. Not only did I improve my diving certifications, I learned how to sail, and about the marine world. The program is run aboard a boat, meaning there is no daily routine, you sail to a new spot everyday. Each trip you sail about 250 nautical miles, and get to visit some of the most famous sites in the islands, such as the Baths and Sidney's Peace and Love.

Laurie

Perfect Summer Sailing Experience for my son

My son's experience was above and beyond our wildest expectations. He came back a confident and happy guy, very proud of having successfully faced the challenges of the trip. The counselors were top-notch - caring, capable, and fun. It was truly a life-changing experience for him.

I was very impressed with the program after initially talking to Jake on the phone. He spent a lot of time answering my questions and making me feel that the program was a good fit for my son. The staff was always helpful when I called with questions before the trip. Leah the travel agent was also very easy to work with for travel plans, and made the whole process a breeze.

My son's travel days went seamlessly. It was great that there were a few kids flying together from Boston, as he did not know anyone. These kids were very friendly right away, which was great.

While my son was away for the 3 weeks, we were treated to a creatively crafted blog posts every day - such a wonderful way to keep in touch and much appreciated. It was clear that the kids were really having a ball as we read the posts every morning.

I have never seen my kid as happy as he was when he returned. Just had a whole new air of confidence about him, and now has a whole set of goals he wants to work on - getting his sailing credentials over time, learning to scuba dive, and planning on taking a gap year to sail!

The instructors really seemed to make the trip for my son. Shannon, George, and Elise were so supportive and fun, and taught him so much. They really gave of themselves, it seemed. Also, my son really appreciated the fact that there was enough "down time" along with all of the super active time. That is really important to him. And that the kids were given a fair amount of independence when exploring on land. He felt that he was treated with respect and trust, which is so key at age 16!
He loved having time to wander around the various towns. He also loved visiting some of the historic sites, and the boat yard (I forget which island that was). It was great that there were some alternatives to the harder hikes for kids with major problems with the heat, like my son. He loves to eat, and had nothing negative to say about food - loved it all! Especially the opportunity to eat in the towns.

Overall an incredibly supportive, caring, exciting and nurturing environment was created on this trip, that gave my son a gift he will never forget!!

Honestly it was all I could have hoped for! Bravo!!
Melissa

Best Experiences!

Between the scuba diving, making new friends, watersports, and family reflections at the end of the day, I had an amazing time with my shipmates and crew. The best part of this trip was travelling somewhere new and exciting, to a place I had never been to before, and learning and experiencing what the BVIs had to offer. This experience impacted me because I had a chance to participate in something that was new to me. My favorite memory about this journey was with my shipmates and how we always gathered together during free time to hang out, play cards, swim, and talk- no one was ever left out. I encourage future participants to understand that this is an unique experience, and that they are very lucky to be sailing with ActionQuest.

Hannah

My Favorite Place

Actionquest is my favorite in every possible way. I love the people. I love how much I've grown. I love the amazing programs. I love everything about it. If you're looking for a way to grow as a person or get out of your comfort zone and experience something truly amazing, AQ is for you. The amazing staff helps everyone no matter what your background is and they make sure that every student is involved.

Nikolas

What AQ means to me

My three years at Actionquest were life changing. They earned me new friends, new skills, and revealed to me much about myself that I never knew, and that I pride myself on today! In my last program, Divemaster, my staff were incredible. The atmosphere on our boat was always fun, if hard working, but there was always a careful eye on our safety, even for us long time returners to Actionquest who were nearly running the boat ourselves. You guys at Actionquest have something Incredible going on, and if it weren't for other plans and goals in my life, I would be honored to work at ActionQuest for years, making the impacts you do, learning, teaching, and having those little, underestimated conversations with my shipmates, conversations that made such a big impact on my own life.

Lisa

Amazing adventures

My daughter had an amazing experience and took advantage of all of the opportunities that were before her. She came back with amazing life experiences and so much confidence in herself and her decisions. She has made some lifelong friends. We highly recommend this experience for all teenagers! My daughter has come back with a love for ocean, a string drive to help others and a want to return to the islands. Now that they Islands have been destroyed by the hurricane she wants to go back to help rebuild.

According to my daughter she wished the food had more fresh fruit and veggie options.

About ActionQuest

For more than 40 years, ActionQuest has offered outstanding water-based summer adventure programs for youth. They successfully have inspired the inherent leadership skills within thousands of young adults though hands-on learning, cooperative living...