SStS Cambodia: Sustainable Agriculture Along the Mekong

Live on a remote Island, support a local health clinic and immerse yourself in rural Cambodian life during an extended homestay.

SERVE:
With SStS, you will have the chance to work shoulder-to-shoulder with our trusted NGO partner, the Cambodian Rural Development Team. As part of your work, you will support their work constructing an addition to the local community health clinic.

EXPERIENCE:
You will have the opportunity to learn about the ecology of the Mekong and experience Cambodian culture in a small community. You will also have the opportunity to visit Angkor Wat and swim in the Mekong River.

LEARN:
As part of your experience, you will learn about ethical leadership and global citizenship through SStS's unique Five Lens Curriculum. In addition, you will be immersed in a rural homestay on the island of Koh Preah.

THE SSTS DIFFERENCE:
-Small groups (10-12 students)
-Leadership curriculum
-Expert course instructors
-Trusted NGO partners

• Explore the rich history of Cambodia in Phnom Penh.
  • Live with local families on the island of Koh Preah.
  • Support construction work at a rural health clinic.
  • Travel by boat along the Mekong River.
  • Tour Angkor Way, a UNESCO World Heritage Site.

Andrew

An Experience of a Lifetime

This summer I was given the opportunity to go on the Cambodia course with shoulder to shoulder and it was incredible. I learned so much about Cambodia and myself that I don’t even know where to begin. The countryside was gorgeous and the people were so nice. The group was also amazing and so were our instructors. As for me, I was able to learn so much about myself and how I could better appreciate the things that I do have instead of wanting the things that I don’t.

THis trip could definitely improve by having the students spend more time with the students and children who live on the island.
Ava

My Experience

I loved my trip to Cambodia! I got to try a ton of new foods and experience a completely different culture than my everyday life. My group's guide, Phiya, was super fun and helped us communicate with people. Living in the homestays on the island Koh Preah was such a cool experience. The families were so nice and welcoming. This trip made me think a lot about how people don't need a lot to be happy. It also made me aware of how much our society wastes precious resources like water by taking super long showers and leaving faucets on. My favorite memory from the trip was the volleyball game we played with some of the kids on the island. It was super fun and brought everyone together.

I think staying on the island longer would be awesome so we could develop more of a relationship with the families.

About Students Shoulder-to-Shoulder

SStS essentially began with a question: what can we do? As classroom educators striving to teach our students about many of the pressing problems that exist in the world, as well as potential solutions for addressing them, students were...