COVID-19 Program Updates
Due to global health & safety concerns and travel restrictions related to the coronavirus, Where There Be Dragons has decided to offer flexible booking options for some of their upcoming programs. Learn more about COVID-19 updates to stay tuned regarding program information.
Known for the incomparable ruins of Angkor Wat, Cambodia is a country that evokes images of overgrown jungle temples, robed monks, and religious splendor. In a land known as much for the lost Angkor Empire as its modern genocide, Cambodia is a nation of stark contrasts. Amongst its natural splendors, Cambodia offers one of the world’s most poignant examples of the challenges and triumphs of the “developing world.” From the raucous streets of Phnom Penh and the misty mornings at Angkor Wat to the idyllic shores of the Gulf of Thailand, Cambodia is a land of scars, wisdom and wonder on the cusp of change everyday.
Students on the Cambodia summer program gain firsthand insight into contemporary issues through intimate engagement with regional experts and extended home-stays. Expect to live close to the ground, experiencing the realties of life for Khmer people, while engaging with those committed to improving the state of the nation.
We offer comprehensive, personal home visits so that we can answer your questions in person. One of our expert staff members will present on our program options and share stories from their own formative Where There Be Dragons program. To request a home visit in less than 2 minutes, fill out this form.
- Catch the sunrise at Angkor Wat before cycling around the temple complex with a guide contemplating ancient Angkorian history.
- Speak with local and international NGO representatives in Phnom Penh and Siem Reap to learn about contemporary issues ranging from: land rights abuses, women’s rights issues, the garment industry, access to education, WASH initiatives, LGBTQIA+ movement,
- Be welcomed into a lively rural homestay community and spend a week immersing yourself in the daily life and rhythm of your host family
- Swim in the Andaman Sea while unpacking the grim realities of marine conservation in Southeast Asia.
- Sit with a panel of monks in Battambang to understand the realities of Theravada Buddhism and learn simple insight meditation techniques to bring you to the present moment.